Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not Able to Sync Ionic

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have had my ionic for a week tomorrow. Still have not been able to sync it properly and use it. I have talked  to the customer service team multiple times and spent hours trying to trouble shoot with them.

It takes about 2 hours to get it set up. It syncs for about 5 minutes and then disconnects. It then goes back and forth from looking and syncing but never connects.

How long do we need to wait before this gets fixed or they can give some update. I have tried all the trouble shooting including factory reset, etc. Very frustraing.

Moderator Edit: Updated Subject for Clarity

Best Answer
683 REPLIES 683

Syncing issues here as well. Firmware version 27.25.16.7

Able to sync with my android the first time for setup, however, every single time I go into the app I need to manually sync the Ionic with my phone. I thought the 'Always Connected' feature would kee pon top of this. I've tried every single step in the thread: RESOLVED Ionic Syncing Issues (https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Ionic/RESOLVED-Ionic-Syncing-Issues/m-p/2218143), but none of these workarounds really 'wor around' the issue. The issue is not resolved, it's still happening. 

I've tired uninstalling the app, removing it from the bluetooth devices, turning off the bluetooth on my phone, restarting the phone, holding the left button and right lower button on the Ionic to shutdown, reinstalling the Fitbit App and reloading the phone on my android. None of it worked.

I've also tried factory restarting the Ionic as well as uninstalling the app and reinstalling it but nothing is working. 

Are we going to have to deal with all of these persistent issues? Or will the update fix them all?

Can you, Fitbt, also give a timeline as to when all the stated features will be up and running??

ALSO, the Windows app on my laptop that I downloaded from the Window Store can't find the Ionic.

Still says 'Looking for tracker'.....

Best Answer

Mega annoying, this is the only way I can get it to sync with Android 8 (latest!) on my Pixel phone.

* Restart phone

* Restart Fitbit by holding two buttons either end for 10 seconds.

* Do this every day.

Another thing I notice is that it says it sync'd like 2 hours ago, then says it can't sync, if you flip the app (to another app) and back it says 5 mins ago, sync and flip the app again it says 20 mins. Seems to be random. When it's working all is well again. Buggy as hell anyway!!

Best Answer

Turning off all day sync has made it better and I guess this saves battery as well. The Ionic does sync automatically when opening the app after changing the setting AND crucially notifications still work.

I believe all day sync is buggy as hell. It also sometimes suggests it synced say 10 mins ago when the phone was off.

Best Answer

The only way I have been able to resolve Ionic syncing problems so far is a complete reinstall.

By that I mean:

1. forget device on iPhone
  2. remove Ionic from Fitbit App
  3. reboot Ionic
  4. re-pair

However, be aware that I have lost a whole day of data by doing this - essentially everything since the last sync gets lost (contrary to what Ionic moderators have said!)

Sadly, this does not last long and the pairing gets lost, the sync stops and refuses to re-establish.

This is hugely frustrating and frankly substandard. It's one thing to want to get the launch of Ionic out before Watch3 and in time for Christmas, but not if the most fundamental of software functionality (the sync) is not rock solid reliable.

The reinstall workaround every 2 days is simply not viable. I'm giving Fitbit and Ionic one more week to sort its act out otherwise it's been returned under the 45-day warranty. Right now, it is simply not fit(bit) for purpose. 

Best Answer

Can people who are having periodic issues (they can connect some of the time) please confirm their phone OS and state that All Day sync is off.

Cheers.

Best Answer
0 Votes
where do i control all day sync?
Best Answer
0 Votes

where do i control all day sync?

Best Answer
0 Votes

OK - I found All Day Sync control (in the app).

Yes - can confirm it is off, and that I'm running on iOS 11.0.1

I'm actually about to update to 11.0.2, unless Fitbit can suggest a good reason why not?

Best Answer
When I had the watch, whether I had all day sync on or off it would toggle back and forth and say looking/connected not connected at a rapid pace. I don’t have the watch anymore but this is what I experienced when I had it. I hope this helps to answer your question.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

I was having the same issue. Then I turned all day sync off, scrolled down to the bottom of sam page and turned off always connected. Now it connects quickly and snycs quickly.

Best Answer
I don’t see anything about always connected?

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes

Maybe it is only on the Android version of the App? That is what I am using. I was also trying it with a IPad mini 4 for a bit and never had a issue syncing. When I started using the IPad is when I started having a issue with my Android phone. Even turning off the Bluetooth on the iPad did not help. Only when I turned off always connected. If you Have connected with another bluetooth device I would make sure to turn that one off. I just tried syncing with the iPad and it would not. App was not open on the Android device. Opened the app on the Android and it synced right away. I don't think it is a ios/android issue. Just which one synced last and the Bluetooth is still on with that device. At least in my case.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Maybe it is only on the Android version of the App? That is what I am using. I was also trying it with a I pad mini 4 for a bit and never had a issue syncing. When I started using the I pad when I started having a issue with my Android phone. Even turning off the Bluetooth on the iPad did not help. Only when I turned off always connected. If you Have connected with another Bluetooth device I would make sure to turn that one off. I just tried syncing with the iPad and it would not. App was not open on the Android device. Opened the app on the Android and it synced right away. I don't think it is a Apple or android issue. Just which one synced last and the Bluetooth is still on with that device. At least in my case.

Best Answer
0 Votes

1507479045008-566106867.jpg

Here is a screenshot

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have this same syncing/looking issue. I've restarted the ionic, the app, the phone. I've uninstalled to app, removed and re-added the ionic to my Fitbit account and my Bluetooth device list, went through set-up twice (with and without setting Wi-Fi). I haven't changed phones and previously had a Charge HR 2 which worked perfect. I agree with other users this is either a firmware issue or the ionic is defective. Please update.

Best Answer

I am having syncing problems as well. It doesn't sync. Notifications matter most to me. Even my cheap $15 iwown i5 is more reliable than this piece of overprice junk (as of right now).

Utterly disappointed!
Best Answer

Sad to say that I’m packing mine up to be returned today.  Fitbit customer support have been brilliant as always, but I’ve been unable to get it to sync reliably. It’ll work for a couple of goes then stops. Repeat again and again

.... I understand teething troubles can happen with new devices, but I’m not paying £299.99 for something that doesn’t work.  Back to my trusty charge 2. I may buy another ionic when I’m sure that there is a reliable fix, or the faulty batch of devices have been recalled...

Best Answer

I feel your pain!

Having decided to wait a week before giving up on Ionic, I have seen improvements in the last few days. e.g. notifications have started arriving all of a sudden - this option was always switched on but never worked apart from calendar apps (bizarrely). Now, having done nothing myself, they suddenly turn up - maybe a fix by Fitbit?

The HRM remains inaccurate - in fact it's totally useless, all it can cope with is resting HR, which is the least useful part for me (I want to see my HR zones whilst working out).

Overall syncing has improved, which is the main reason I have kept it another week, so we'll see if other glitches get fixed.

But the bottom line, as you say, is that it is really not the job of consumers to highlight known beta test issues all over again, this device was not ready for market at launch 

Best Answer

I had mine since Oct 1st. It worked fine for about a day, then syncing became a nightmare. I’ve done everything mentioned on here and by Fitbit support. It only got worse. Now I have to remove it and re add it to my list of devices at least a few times a day. 

I found the HRM to be about the same as the charge 2, pretty unreliable. Apart from resting like you said. 

I gave up today. It’s gone back now. It feels like a bit of a relief tbh, not having to mess about all the time when I want to update my progress on weekly challenges etc. 

Plus im £300 better off!

Best Answer

I just received my Ionic this week and was experiencing the same issues.

I found that simply turning OFF the Bluetooth connection to my Ionic resolved the issue.  It's been syncing fine ever since.

Best Answer
0 Votes