Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not Able to Sync Ionic

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have had my ionic for a week tomorrow. Still have not been able to sync it properly and use it. I have talked  to the customer service team multiple times and spent hours trying to trouble shoot with them.

It takes about 2 hours to get it set up. It syncs for about 5 minutes and then disconnects. It then goes back and forth from looking and syncing but never connects.

How long do we need to wait before this gets fixed or they can give some update. I have tried all the trouble shooting including factory reset, etc. Very frustraing.

Moderator Edit: Updated Subject for Clarity

Best Answer
683 REPLIES 683
If you click on your acct. and go to discover and click I on Fitbit help they will get in touch with you. I’ve been doing this for about 2 months and the only thing that doesn’t work is the stair climb

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I voted with my feet. Sent it back and got a refund. Absolutely pathetic that there isn’t a proper fix for the syncing issues yet. 

I got an Apple Watch instead. It works with no issues......

Best Answer
I'm holding on to my Ionic in hopes that something like this will happen:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4130680-samsung-looks-poised-buy-partner-fitbit
Best Answer

Yes, the fitness part is great but the sync and wifi is **ahem**!! and it got even worse after the update. I am just lucky if it syncs once a day to my IPhone. How hard can it be to fix this???   

Best Answer

I have sync problems with ionic (android)

But my problem isn't with the watch but with the ionic application that isn't able to find the watch. Once I restart the phone, the sync works correctly. 

i have to restart the phone since the new version of the app. Before, the notifications were lost from time to time, but the app was not loosing the watch.

I have tried to remove the watch from the phone and paired again...

Best Answer
0 Votes

@AmyLouie @Nuah @LwrHrtRt @GekkoZZZ @Ralendil It's great to see you in the Fitbit forums, I hope you are all doing well! I moved your posts to this thread about syncing issues with Ionic to keep the Community organized.

Please follow these syncing troubleshooting steps. This should help you out with this. Let me know ig you keep experiencing the same afterwards! 

Also, feel free to check the rest of the thread for more details and experiences.

See you around! Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer

Hopefully the Sync will be fixed.

I have spent to much time on reading on Sync, restarting watch and phone, reinstall app, ...

I think the Sync was working before the upgrade (because I never had any issues any the sleeping was updated every morning)

So what is Sync and was does it? For me it seams like there are two kind of information that get Sync.

1. Fitness data on dashboard (steeps, floors, cal,....). This works perfect

2. Battery indication, sleep data and account changes e.g. exercise shortcuts 

So why does not the second part work and how should it work?

I am able to Sync every thing to my Mac (must turn of BT of phone before I can do it) and the strange thing is that it looks like the Fit app on phone also get Sync then??

The phone also Sync everything when I delete the Ionic and add it again.

Best Answer

Works!!  Thanks

Best Answer

@SantiR  Thanks for all of your information and Carlos's post in another topic.

I have had a very successful run with the Fitbit Ionic since release day in Australia, 2-1/2 months.. Everything was working. No swimming or water use. Suddenly the other night the sleeping didn't record and any HR activity is missing including the RHR for the next day.

The Ionic is registering HR pulse, steps etc and is functioning normally each day as one would expect.

So after following the steps in the posts which included un-pairing the Ionic I cannot re-link the Ionic. Now it will never pair.. It just cycles around the 4 digit code and try again.

So to prove I don't have a phone problem  I added my Blaze, Surge and the One and they are all working and syncing as expected in multi mode.  That involved a software update for all three Fitbit models.. Again, worked perfectly and the Blaze recorded a perfect sleep cycle last night.  The same day I had the failure I upgraded the App to V2.63.. After the Ionic failure I decide to delete the 2.63 App and load the 2.62.1 App. That made no difference.  So now every Fitbit I have and the App are on the latest versions of firmware/software.

The Bluetooth on my Android won't even detect the Ionic, but when I attempt to add a device it finds and connects and the 4 Digit code and we keep cycling around that..

My environment hasn't changed and pairing my other Fitbits proves that all is working.  Just now I walked away from where I'm typing this and the phone was next to me on the table.  I was over 40' (13m) away and the notifications appeared on the Blaze.. So that part of Bluetooth is strong.

Another test and I have turn the Surge on... it hadn't been synced since 8pm last night and has synced perfectly and shows the same step count as the Blaze. Just did the same with thew On and a perfect step match.

I have posted this here because others may have a solution and parallel to this Fitbit Support are handling my case.. One of their suggestions was to use WiFi but in our communications they overlooked I cannot pair the Ionic.

Hoping there are some other suggestions, after over 300 successful Pay taps I have to resort to a physical card..Smiley Frustrated

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

I have two Droid turbos (original, not turbo 2".  I have followed the sync steps 100s of times.  It will sync.... sometimes.  When it doesn't sync, the issue is identical using either phone.  When it does sync, it can sync on either phone.

Rebooting the device doesn't make a difference, it just syncs when it wants to, and stops for a day or so.

The problems we are having is the device itself.  And the numerous step process that is provided does not passify the situation.  I think the turbo should be taken off the compatibility list until, if ever, this is fixed in a future update.  

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner I'm convinced it's not your phone and the same with me. I had issues when the Blaze first came out on my previous Sony phone and it had Android 6.1. My latest Sony, over a year old is on Android 7.1.1 and up until the other night has worked perfectly with all of my Fitbits. This phone is not on the compatibility list and probably not tested because its market position is a lot lower than the leaders.

I enjoy my Ionic and I'm sure Fitbit will come up with an answer.

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
One observation I have when I wear my ionic to work at my workplace. It will autosync with my iphone 6+ perfectly. All the apps such as map and weather are also working as intended.

When I reached home, ionic will cease to sync with my hp unless I activates the bluetooth on ionic to searching mode. Apps that require internet connection will also fail to work.

The only difference at my workplace and my home is there is not much wireless (wifi & bluetooth) interference at my workplace. At home, there are presence of multiple wireless signals such as my wifi and bluetooth from my av equipment.

Hence, I am suspecting other wireless signals are interfering the sync between ionic and my hp. This behaviour have been consistent for the past few days. I hope it is a software issue and can be rectified with firmware or ios app upgrade. Otherwise, this is a lemon product.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@SantiR 

I followed the advices and removed the always connected option (that is described as improving the connection)

I must says it improved things.

I have not connections problems in fitbit app

And for notifications, so far, i received all of them.

I cross fingers, but it seems to work

Best Answer

go to the site you suggested and tell me how your link tells me how to turn the device off. 2nd day of trying to use my new fitbit ionic.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Probably the best advice you could give is where to return it!!!!!!!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

how do you turn off bluetooth on the ionic?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Bluetooth for sync'ing can't be turned off.

Best Answer

Same bluetooth connection issues as everyone else and it still appears to be totally random on when it will/will not sync. None of the fixes work including the one with the rain dance and throwing salt over your left shoulder. IF Fitbit would communicate this as a software/firmware issue that is being resolved I would gladly be patient and keep my ionic waiting for a fix. However, no acknowledgment of a known issue has been made. I am seriously concerned that this is a hardware issue with faulty bluetooth antenna. Many people need to operate within a stores return policy and can't take the risk of keeping a dud watch around. Has anyone out there tried to exchange their ionic at the store for a new one? Did this solve any issues? Seems like this would be an easy way to confirm if some of us got lemons.  

Best Answer
0 Votes
I held on to it for three days. It should work out of the box for the $300 price point. Returned it to Fitbit for full refund because mine was a pre-order from their website. In my humble opinion a a not fact - from a business standpoint , I can see someone saying, “let’s work through the known issues to stay on Target with the the launch date and handle everything else on a case by case basis. On the customer side, I really like this product and I want it to work because it’s a good chunk of money investment for improvement of my physical fitness. In the long term, Fitbit is a good company and they will figure it out eventually. I just didn’t have the time and patience.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

For what it's worth, my ionic only syncs when I drive. It won't sync at home, in the office or anywhere else but in the middle of the freeway. I think the code is written to sync to the highway vs. information highway 

Best Answer
0 Votes