Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic battery died and power off without any alerts

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I did a 90 minute workout yesterday which consisted of a 5k jog with brief stops to work in some calisthenics. Right at the end of my workout, my Ionic powered off. I tried to power it back on and no luck. I brought it home and put in on the charger and it started to charge. Apparently the battery died without warning. Shouldn't the Ionic better alert of low battery situations from the Ionic itself. It is after all marketed as true mobile device not needing a phone nearby.  I need to be alerted of a low battery situation so I can adjust my workout accordingly and not have my recorded workout abruptly stopped. This has happenend a few other times but those times at least before leaving home I recall seeing that the battery was low to start. 

Some add'tl facts:

*  I was running outdoors using GPS and also streaming music from the Ionic simultaneously during the run.

* Ionic battery %charge prior to my workout could not have been below 30%, as otherwise I would have gotten an email and/or app notification that the battery was low right before leaving home for my workout

* During the run, I did not have my phone, just the Ionic and a wireless true wireless earbuds to stream music stored on the Ionic

* During my calisthenics, I PAUSED the workout (not sure if GPS is still using battery during this time)

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

You'll not get a low battery warning from the Ionic itself. All you can do in the watch is check the level from the status screen. Any warnings about battery level are only sent after a sync to the app on your phone. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well it is that difficult to put a few lines of code in the next firmware update to include a series of 3 vibrations to alert that the battery is almost dead, especially given the instance that I described in first post where I believe there was an accelerated depletion in the charge (possible due to GPS use).  I don't want a situation where I am running for more than 5 minutes and the watch goes dead without a sign and my workout is not being recorded. 

I don't understand why some people seem resigned to the fact that certain important and easily implemented features aren't in the product from day one and said missing features are counter to the marketing of the product as truly mobile and un-tethered (to phone)

Best Answer

I'm sorry, but that's just plain dumb.  Only a fool would design something completely battery dependent but not include some sort of alert that the battery is about to die.  Phones have been doing this for literally decades.

Best Answer

It's still not fixed. The Fitbit development teams have been pretty tone deaf, and not unexpected, their stock prices never took off. They were acquired by Google, most likely to be killed off in the near future. I'm a bit salty I have to go look for another fitness platform now after investing so much money with my fitbit Ionic. 

Workound: If your ionic is not at least 50% charged when you start your run, and you expect to do a 5k+, I would disable GPS for the session. There's an option when starting the workout to disable GPS. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

You get notifications when exercise starts, but no notification when it ends (either randomly at the watch's whims or when you stop it).  You get notification when you hit 10000 steps.  But no notification when the battery is about to die.  It makes me wonder if the developers have ever actually worn one of these devices as a normal human does.  Clearly it is something that could be fixed, if they felt like doing so.  Furthermore, when mine dies and I connect it to the charger it doesn't charge because the watch is off.  It'll turn on (if you remember the magic combination of buttons to hold down) but it won't actually charge unless it's turned on.  I can leave it on the charger for hours but if it's turned off, the battery does not charge.  That also seems to be really bad design.  

Best Answer