Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic battery short life

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I bought my Ionic during the first week it has been available, and up until now, it has been working just fine.  I have been taking it off and charging it when I have gone into the bathroom to take a shower, every morning before I head out for the day and every evening before I head to bed.  Usually, after a charge to 100% in the evening, it has been down to the mid-90's in the morning -- 94 or so.  During the day, after a charge to 100% in the morning, it may be down to around 90% or so in the evening.  Bottom line, it was always quick and easy to get it back to 100% while I was in the shower.

But just a few days ago, I started seeing the battery percentages in the low 80's.  Then the low 70's.  Yesterday, after a 100% charge in the morning, the battery was DOWN TO 51%.  If this keeps it up, my Ionic will not last a full day without needing to be charged.  At which time I might as well toss it in the trash and move on to some other company's technology.  I am NOT happy to see this three-hundred-dollar purchase utterly die as I watch it over the course of one week.

I have NOT been doing anything strange that seemingly made this happen.  It didn't happen "right after a firmware update" or anything like that -- I have been updating things as they have happened, but the last one was months ago.  I did NOT install any new apps or anything like that.  It was just functioning normally, and then it went to hell in a handbasket one day, and it just keeps on getting worse, every day.

I have been doing daily "reboots" with the Ionic.  I have uninstalled every app that I could uninstall.  I am using a very simple watch face.  I have fully uninstalled the Fitbit app on my phone, and reinstalled that.  Nothing has helped.  It simply appears that my Ionic's battery is going to die within the next week or so.  By all means, if you can suggest anything else I could do, I would appreciate it, but I think I've gone through the gamut of what can be done with the thing, already.  I can tell you one thing, though -- if this thing dies on me, I sure won't be buying a new Ionic, given how this thing hasn't lasted much more than about six months.

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity 

Best Answer
235 REPLIES 235

I returned it.  I am now using my charge 2; which had nothing wrong with it.  Returned the Iconic, got my money back.  When the charge 2 goes bad I am done with fitbits.  Thanks for the response though.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m having exactly the same problem!

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have now left the Fitbit family due to this - Fitbit would only replace if not working at all, mine was working for a few hours and then shutting down sometimes before I even finished my workout! I am looking for a more reliable device as we speak.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Same here. This started happening to my Ionic when I was out of warranty already. Tried everything suggested in this forum and Fitbit ignores all users with this issue.

Happy with a Garmin Venu now, should have never tried Fitbit when i was pretty happy with Garmin all this years. I'm a sucker for a new things.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Would you say this has similar features to the Fitbit iconic? I haven’t taken the plunge for a replacement yet. It won’t be another Fitbit that’s for sure 😉

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

The only reason I went Fitbit was because I was looking for a watch with Music built in with no need to carry a phone. Ionic seemed ideal. But coming from Garmin which is more sports oriented it felt a bit of a downgrade.

Now most of Garmin watches have a Music version and Garmin Venu has a nice oled display, it was a no brainer for me since I always loved their watches. I think they have a watch for everyone.

I don't think there is any feature on Ionic missing on Garmin Venu or vivoactive4 (not to mention the most expensive watches like the Fenix), well not on top of my head at least.

But surely you will find other users who say Fitbit > Garmin. I think it's a bit personal.

Anyway, on top of it all, best thing is that Garmin is not owned by Google! Not yet at least!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, can you tell me how you got thru to Customer Support?  I am having the exact same issues PLUS I CANNOT ACCESS SETTINGS.  I am on lockdown in South America only to make everything worse!  Thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the same problem with Ionic. After the O2 update it has not lasted a day. I've been reading a lot and tried to limit what I was using the Ionic for. Tried changing to simple clock faces and still doesn't last . Not sure what to do now.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I am on my 4th Ionic (they continue replacing it for me) and I am still having the same issue. It works fine for awhile then slowly the battery life gets shorter and shorter until I have to charge it nightly. This 4th one is at the 2 days of charge stage (I’ve had it for about 6 months) so I’m assuming it’ll be down to nothing soon. I’m done, going to move on to something else.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Well that is depressing thank you though I appreciate your response.
Something to think about.

--

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes
They(Fitbit) tell me that this issue is only with the ionic and that I should try another model but I’m not sure I want to take the chance (and I don’t really like the look of the others)

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
How insulting that they sold use defective devices AND their solution is
buy ANOTHER one!?!?

They are as crazy as the Ionic is (was) a rip-off...
Best Answer
0 Votes

So strange.  I have everything turned on except the always-on display and can get 5 solid days out of the Sense.  I imagine that if I tuned of the background stuff like notifications and calendar syncing, I could easily get 6 days.

Best Answer
0 Votes
From all I’ve read and been told this issue is only with Ionic. The rep I spoke with suggested that I get something other than the Ionic next time I have to replace. My first Ionic gave me five full days for about 6 months but then started losing life down to less than 3 hours a day.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes this was a design flaw in the Ionic...why do you think it disappeared
after 1 version...because they ALL started failing...none made it more than
2 years I think.

Over $300 for a device that failed in 2 years or less? They offered me a
25% off coupon toward a new device (at full MSRP only).

They lost me as a customer.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone, 

Thanks for the detailed information shared and the troubleshooting tried. 

I see where your disappointment is coming from. If your Ionic's battery isn't lasting up to 5 days, follow these tips to extends its battery life. Also make sure you're fully charging it

If after checking the above, you're still experiencing difficulties, the best way to get help for this problem is to chat with us online or give us a call. Click here to get connected.

As of right now, this thread will be closed, in an effort to keep the forums organized. 

Thanks for your understanding. See you around. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes