Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic battery short life

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I bought my Ionic during the first week it has been available, and up until now, it has been working just fine.  I have been taking it off and charging it when I have gone into the bathroom to take a shower, every morning before I head out for the day and every evening before I head to bed.  Usually, after a charge to 100% in the evening, it has been down to the mid-90's in the morning -- 94 or so.  During the day, after a charge to 100% in the morning, it may be down to around 90% or so in the evening.  Bottom line, it was always quick and easy to get it back to 100% while I was in the shower.

But just a few days ago, I started seeing the battery percentages in the low 80's.  Then the low 70's.  Yesterday, after a 100% charge in the morning, the battery was DOWN TO 51%.  If this keeps it up, my Ionic will not last a full day without needing to be charged.  At which time I might as well toss it in the trash and move on to some other company's technology.  I am NOT happy to see this three-hundred-dollar purchase utterly die as I watch it over the course of one week.

I have NOT been doing anything strange that seemingly made this happen.  It didn't happen "right after a firmware update" or anything like that -- I have been updating things as they have happened, but the last one was months ago.  I did NOT install any new apps or anything like that.  It was just functioning normally, and then it went to hell in a handbasket one day, and it just keeps on getting worse, every day.

I have been doing daily "reboots" with the Ionic.  I have uninstalled every app that I could uninstall.  I am using a very simple watch face.  I have fully uninstalled the Fitbit app on my phone, and reinstalled that.  Nothing has helped.  It simply appears that my Ionic's battery is going to die within the next week or so.  By all means, if you can suggest anything else I could do, I would appreciate it, but I think I've gone through the gamut of what can be done with the thing, already.  I can tell you one thing, though -- if this thing dies on me, I sure won't be buying a new Ionic, given how this thing hasn't lasted much more than about six months.

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity 

Best Answer
235 REPLIES 235

I "forgot" my Wi-Fi network to see if it made a difference and I still have to charge twice a day.

Ionic, Pixel 2 XL
Best Answer
0 Votes

@TomZZ 

I wouldn't give anymore of my hard earned money to a company that obviously doesn't care about their customers.  I'm not talking about just this battery issue either.  There are so many issues that I have been waiting to be fixed since the product first launched.  Issues that have been reported by many users on this forum and Fitbit has done nothing to fix them.  Go find something else. You will be right back here in another 18 months.  It is too large of an investment to only last a year and a half.

Ionic, Pixel 2 XL
Best Answer
Agree 100%.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Battery charge not lasting longer than 14 hours. Nothing has changed in my charging or usage routine. Until the last few days the charge would last approx 3 to 4 days. Help!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes
If you are still under warranty they will send you a new one. That's what
they did for me and I havent had any problems since. 🙂
Best Answer
0 Votes

See other thread for a different slant on the same issue

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Ionic/Ionic-wakes-all-night-draining-battery/m-p/3474564#M95787

Both of us are struggling to get more than 1 and a bit days out of an Ionic. Granted not as bad as some of the other people posting on this thread, but a long way short of the advertised 4-5 days the product is supposed to provide.

Is there any theme to these issues ? Are the Ionics all from the same batch, all have a similar construction/purchase date, or is it truly random. Come on Fitbit, give us a bit more than just "Its an issue, we are working on it, here is a new one, see if that works"

Best Answer
0 Votes

Quick update on my situation...

My battery died while out on a run and I was unable to charge it again after that.  I had purchased my Ionic from Walmart and purchased an extended warranty from them.  I sent it in hoping they wouldn't be able to repair it and would refund my purchase price so I could buy something else.  

Turns out they were able to replace the battery (even though Fitbit can't) and now it appears my battery is back to 3-4 days of battery life.

Ionic, Pixel 2 XL
Best Answer
0 Votes
I had 3 replacements all of which broke. I had a number of arguments with them as I really did not want another one I finally won the battle and got a versa and the excess money refunded. As i was not happy to loose over £100 due to their fault!

Get Outlook for Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am experiencing a similar issue. I have had my Ionic since shortly after it was released. It worked great up till about a month ago. Now the battery barely makes it 2 days. I usually charge it when it gets to about 30%. It used to last around 4-5 days before I absolutely had to charge it. Now I'm charging it every other night. I gave it a full charge yesterday afternoon and by this afternoon it is already down to 20%. At the rate it's going, it won't last much longer. I did not pay for  $300 activity tracker, just to have it completely die in less than 2 years. I've had $5 and $10 watches last for 5 times that long.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi MaginB, I am on my 3rd Fitbit, second iconic which we swapped out about a year ago because the battery died. It seems to be dying again. I have reinstalled the watch, removed all apps but now I only get half a day of use having charged it all night. Which means I am no longer recording sleep or my evening work outs. Any suggestions? Or are these only expected to last a year?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having issues with my fit bit ionic I place to charge and after its fully charge it will die on me in an hour i havent updated anything or done any changes to it

Best Answer
0 Votes

How long is the battery supposed to hold charge? My ionic can’t hold charge for longer than a 10 hours of wear. It is less than a year old. There are no updates for it, minimum apps and few notifications. Am I missing something? 

Best Answer

The battery life should be 5 days. I was able to stretch mine out to 6 but after about a year the battery life depleted to around 2 days. I'm back to using my blaze cause after that my ionic screen stopped working and now I'm out a $250 device. The battery life is a known issue but they won't do anything about it except give you a very small discount on a replacement device.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Not sure if this will help everyone, but for those in the UK it should

Take the device back to where you bought it and ask for a replacement. The warranty is for 2yrs, so no real issue. I did this and they didn't even question me about it, or seem surprised. 

Another option would be to ask for your money back. Have not tried this yet, but if the 2nd device starts the exhibit the same issues, that is exactly what I will be doing

As previous comments have stated, Fitbit seem very unwilling to fix issues with the device, instead releasing new features. I'd prefer fixes to features. 

And don't even get me started on SO2 sensors

Best Answer

Here in the states, the warranty is only 1 year unless you spring for the extended warranty. Even then, the stores here have a return policy that is only for a few months at most. My ionic crapped out completely, 3 months after warranty expired. I did a firmware update and then my screen went black and locked up. Fitbit said the only thing they could do was give me a 25% off coupon for a replacement or 40% off exact same tracker.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine just died overnight after 23 months. I never wore it in the shower, etc. I believe they are defective.

Best Answer
0 Votes
They are very defective. I had mine for a little over a year and it
completely shut down. Rather than replace it like they should, I am forced
to buy a new one which I have decided not to do.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a brand new Fitbit Iconic.  The battery does not last 24 hours after a full charge.  Is this normal?  Any suggestions?

Best Answer
0 Votes
No ot is not normal. If it's brand new and not lasting then it has a bad
battery and needs to be replaced.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I returned it and resurrected my charge 2. Thanks. No more Iconic for me.

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes