Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RESOLVED: Ionic calibration message

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update 5/23: This issue is now resolved. 

Huge thanks to everyone who endured this calibration notification. Your quick and detailed feedback helped our team to identify and implement a fix. Robot Happy

If you are still seeing this calibration notification, please the steps I posted here to successfully calibrate your Ionic. 

If you are still experiencing this issue after performing the steps detailed above, please feel free to let me know by starting a new topic on the Ionic board. 

Fitbit Update 04/25/2018: Thanks again for your continued patience as our team works towards a resolution to this issue. 

I appreciate all the feedback we have received in response to this calibration error. This information was very helpful for our team as they identified to root cause of the error. 

We hope to have this fix implemented soon and I will be sure to keep you all updated on when this release will start to roll out. 

I recognize that this is not an ideal experience, so I truly appreciate you all bearing with us while our team gets this sorted out. 

If you have any additional questions, you know where to find me.

Fitbit Update 04/09/2018:  Just wanted to thank you all for your continued patience as our engineers work to fix this calibration error message issue. 

As mentioned previously, our team is aware of this issue and have proposed a fix which will be rolled out in a future update. 

I understand that the calibration message may be annoying to some and I want to assure you that our team is working diligently to have this issue resolved as soon as possible. In the meantime, please continue to ignore the calibration message as this should not affect the functionality of the Ionic. 

Special thanks to all who have confirmed whether or not they had performed a factory reset prior to receiving this message.  

If you have any additional questions, you know where to find me!

Fitbit Update 03/27/2018: Hi all. 

Some users are receiving a persistent notification to calibrate their Ionic after updating to Fitbit OS 2.0. 

Our team is aware of this issue and are currently working to have it resolved in a future update. I will be sure to keep you all posted as more information becomes available. 

Thanks to all of you who have spent the time to report this issue, as your experiences have been forwarded to our engineering team. 

In the meantime, please ignore the calibration message, as it periodically may continue to pop up. 

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to reach out. Thanks again all! Robot Happy

Want to get more deep sleep? Join the discussion on our Sleep better forum.

Best Answer
433 REPLIES 433

Anyone know how to downgrade the software to the previous version?

Ya know that lovely version where my watch didn't ask me to remove it from my wrist every darn day?!?!

Best Answer

You can't "force" a calibration, Shelley.  There are problems with the messages to do that and Tech Support is actively working on a solution.  If you do get the message again at an inconvenient time, "Later" is an option you should select.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I contacted them by phone. The guy was really nice but the lack of response from the company is really lousy. Essentially there is nothing that can be done from a user perspective. Nothing. Just try to ignore the annoying messages to calibrate. Ya know, that vibration on your wrist every day... just ignore it.

The agent told me that they're working on it. I asked for an ETA. He said it could be a few weeks...
There should be an option to revert back to the previous software version. The lack of urgency regarding a fix is stunning and eyeopening as a shareholder.
I own FIT stock and want them to succeed but a watch that tells the user to take it off everyday is unacceptable.
Best Answer
I've had this problem too. Immediately after the software update. I get a daily vibrating reminder to remove it and calibrate it. I no longer want to put it back on because I'm annoyed with it. I hope that maybe today will be the day that it's fixed but no, it fails every time. I'm also feeling disappointed too.

If a company creates both the software and the hardware they need to take widespread and obnoxious issues like this seriously. Especially when its a device so intimate that it is literally tied to your wrist.

If Fitbit wants to be anything close to the Apple of wearables then they need to start acting like it by holding themselves accountable, by providing a speedy solution and by not leaving their customers in the dark.
Best Answer

Following the update, I have tried daily to calibrate when I receive the prompt on my ionic. It fails everytime. I have not performed a factory reset on my device at all (prior to, nor following the update). 

Best Answer

I’ve only had the Ionic for 7 days and I’ve already had 2 issues. First, on day 2 of ownership my screen went blank and it wouldn’t do anything. I found out how to do a reset and it worked. Now I’m trying to calibrate the Ionic and it keeps failing... wondering if I made a mistake buying this! 

Best Answer
The factory reset didn't fix it. It's a software bug from the recent update. I wouldn't be so aggravated if it wasn't vibrating every single day about it. It got so annoying that I've just completely stopped wearing mine. 😣
Best Answer
0 Votes

@MattFitbitI have today restored my Ionic to factory defaults, and on finally getting through the set up issues, the issues I had before with OS2 were still there. 

#1 - I was immediately prompted for a sensor calibration which repeatedly failed.

#2 - GPS in the Exercise (Run) app would not connect.

I had neither of these issues prior to the OS2 upgrade

Best Answer

I know it won't do any good - Fitbit seem completely incapable of addressing any issues with their products - but I'll add my latest gripe to this growing list. Just like everyone else, every day my Ionic is nagging me to perform a calibratrion process which doesn't work. Also the device usually refuses to sync with my phone, as reported in a separate thread.

This is a very poor quality product and customer service is non-existent.

Best Answer

A message from the Fitbit team the other day. Which just asks that you reset as per previous posts.

It's great to know that Fitbit "love this new feature, by the way." 

Helpful...

Hi,

Good day. We'll be more than happy to assist you with your Ionic calibrating and steps issues.

We've checked your account and we noticed that your Ionic battery level is high and it was last synced 7 minutes ago with 21,126 steps today and 17,020 yesterday. Please let us know if the step syncing issues has been resolved?

Meanwhile, in line with your calibrating issues. Whenever the message appears do what it says or plug Ionic into the charger and leave it there for a few minutes on a flat surface and face on its side. To clarify any misunderstanding about this message, it will appear frequently as it needs to be calibrated every once in a while to be more accurate. We love this new feature, by the way.

Furthermore, we suggest doing it for 3 times in a row to ensure it works. To do so, please see the steps below:

1. Press and hold the back (left) and bottom buttons until you see the Fitbit logo on the screen. This should take less than 10 seconds.
  2. Let go of the buttons.
  3. If your Fitbit Blaze, Fitbit Ionic, or Fitbit Versa doesn't work normally, use the instructions in How do I turn off my Fitbit device? to turn your watch off and on again.

If you'll still having issues on your device, please let us know so that we can check on this further for you. 

Sincerely,

Karl D. and the Fitbit Team

Best Answer
0 Votes

Those guys at Fitbit have such a whacky sense of humour. Unfortunately I’m not seeing the funny side.

Fitbit, for the record, I’m not a big fan of this new “feature”. If my car was constantly telling me to refuel and refusing to accept any petrol, I would take it back to the dealer. Where can I take my useless Ionic “smart” watch?

Best Answer

Your mention of a new feature made me laugh. there is no mention in this thread of a new feature .

Im curious as to how the Ionic can be plugged into its charger. then be ppacedpflat on a surface and still be plugged in? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

How long will it take to get this issue addressed? I’m having the same problem. I’ve done sent one Fitbit ionic back and this is a new one. Both had issues, I have been trying to update it and have tried many times and finally it worked. NOW it will not calibrate. This is ridiculous that we spend 300+ (mine being 350$) and the item doesn’t work correctly! Very frustrating. If there are that many of these having that problem then maybe they should stop being sold 

Best Answer

Having same issue. Did a factory reset, software on phone is up to date. Frustrated.

Best Answer

I get the same thing at 8pm also and no matter what I do mine keeps saying calibration error. Anyone have luck yet on how to fix this?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same problem too. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

The same happened to me today.  I have tried several times but it fails every time.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have never factory reset and am getting the recalibration problem. It doesn't seem to be happening as often or frequent as others on the forum but it's a little annoying.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same problem

Best Answer
0 Votes

my iconic will not calibrate

Best Answer
0 Votes