Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic compared to other Fitbit devices

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I’ve been a Fitbit lover for years and have owned the flex, charge hr, Alta and now the ionic. My issue is that the ionic has me clocking in with MUCH less steps than ever before and I’m just as active. What is going on? I barely hit my goal since I’ve gotten it 3 weeks ago and previously I got my goal daily. Someone out there please tell me that I am not alone! Does it need to be rebooted? Is it defective? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
10 REPLIES 10

@SunsetRunner, you are alone in your use of your Ionic, but many have reported that the Ionic is more conservative in the counting of steps than other Fitbit trackers.  My personal experience is that the Ionic does count fewer steps than either my Charge 2 or my Charge HR, but the decrease in counted steps is not significant.

Best Answer

Same as @USAF-Larry Its a very small amount compared to other trackers

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine is usually quite a bit off. I’ve been using it about 2.5 weeks now, and only a couple of days was it anywhere near my One. My One is very aaccurate. If I walk 100 steps it usually shows exactly 100 steps. Occasionally it’s off by a step or 2. The ionic is usually off by 20-30 steps. By the end of my day it’s off by anywhere from 800 to 1600 or more steps. This is too many missed steps  for someone who works a desk job...I don’t hit 10K steps many weekdays and I would like an accurate count. I’ve tried altering the stride but it hasn’t helped much.

This morning when I put on my One, my Ionic had 190 steps. By the middle of the day the One had caught up and surpassed it by 300 or 400 steps. Tonight I went grocery shopping & to second store; I pushed a shopping cart in each. Right now the Ionic shows 7,269 steps, the One says 10,761. This is beyond frustrating. To be fair, Fitbit customer said pushing a cart could affect the count, but their solution of wearing the Ionic in my pocket while doing so is ridiculous. First, it’s too large to wear in a jeans pocket and would likely fall out and get lost. Second, Fitbit discontinued the One but suggests using the watch like a pocket tracker? Shaking my head.

Sorry for the long post but I just wish I could get this thing to track accurately, particularly since I had to remove my One from my account to ensure the Ionic would sync.

Best Answer

Hi!

I have the ionic for two months but no prior experience to other trackers before that. I have compared the steps counted by the ionic with my iPhone when going for a walk and they are quite similar. 

Why don’t you try something similar? Maybe the ionic is more accurate than older Fitbit models. 

iPhone 7, iPad 2
Best Answer
0 Votes

I got my tracker for Xmas. Been a fitbit member for 2 year and am really **ahem** about my exercise and log everything in a book including calories, time and steps for each.... since changing to the ionic a simple 1hr Zumba class loses anything between 250 to 300 steps each class and I am well down on my overall steps at the end of the day 

A cross country run is miles out on steps as well. It's so frustrating. I didn't ask my husband for such an expensive gift for it to be wrong or faulty. Am thinking of sending it back and going back to my charge hr instead...!

Best Answer
0 Votes

The Ionic is definitely not more accurate than the one. If I walk 100 steps, the One counts 100. The ionic counts 70-80. If I take 20 steps, the One counts 20; the ionic says 7. 

I agree, way too expensive to be so off on the most basic level of performance!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same problem. I would easily do 8000-10,000 steps with previous Alta and flex . With ionic , I barely make it to 5000. 

1.3 miles loop - around 5500 steps earlier , now barely 3000 steps . 

Plz help Fitbit ... Pretty discouraging stuff ☹️

Best Answer
0 Votes

I felt like my blaze OVERcounted my steps (which worked out to my benefit when competing against my fiancé ;))

?
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Cantryboy, congrats on your upcoming wedding!

I have found that my Ionic is fairly accurate with step counting though I've never really paid too much attention to it.

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have done several step tests with my Ionic and my flex 2 worn on my arm and body. On my arm over 100 steps my flex 2 counts about 102, but if I wear it on my body it counts 99, 100 or 101. Ionic in 100 step count, counts 98 or there abouts. If I compare my Ionic worn on my wrist to my flex 2 set up on a separate account, on my body, the counts at the end of the day are very very similar. Maybe 100 to 200 out over 10,000 steps. I think that is pretty accurate!

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes