Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic failing to sync

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi, 

I don't like to moan, so I'll try and keep this post to the point. 

Yesterday my Ionic stopped syncing. I have read threads and tried everything except a factory reset. I ended up with a support case but was told my phone is not supported.

I have a Sony Xperia XZ. It's a reasonably well documented phone. I was asked if I had any other devices we could test on. Yes... My work phone. A Samsung Galaxy. Not supported either.

OK. Then we try my work computer. Oh its Windows 7. Not supported (OK fair enough, my company probably owes me an upgrade anyway). 

So anyway, the point I want to make to you guys selling Fitbit is really simple. 

Back in June when I investigated the watch and made a decision about which of the trackers I wanted to buy an important factor was to check compatibility. Fitbit compatibility is sold as an OS version. In my case I could see that I was running an OS above the minimum Android OS version requirements. At no stage of the purchase process is the customer made aware of the list of phone devices that are not compatable\supported. 

Why do you sell compatability as OS version rather than hardware types when it's become clear that Fitbit know they have a massive list of phones that they do not support? 

An honest reply appreciated. Thanks. 

Best Answer
9 REPLIES 9

If it connected before, I'd say it's unlikely a compatiblity issue.

I have a supported phone and have synching issues. Since the 14th. Numerous users are having the same issue. Considering the number of posts, the issue seems to be ignored by fitbit and they're putting it off as phone incompatiblity or having users go through all sorts of troubleshooting that isn't going to do a thing because it's on their end.

I have yet to see it addressed as an issue on their end and only to see them having users go through a bunch of useless steps that won't do a thing or simply say "I don't know" when that doesn't work or put it to phone incompatibility. Those seem to be the go to answers.

Best Answer

It's difficult for me to help because I dont have any issues.

I have two Sony phones that aren't on the list and they work, an Xperia XP and XA2, their models are F8131 and H3133 respectively. The XP, for nearly 2 years and the XA2.  I'm now testing the XA2, I did a factory reset on the Ionic, WiFi setup in 35 minutes..Smiley Happy

The XA2 I purchased because the battery was over heating on the XP and not knowing then it was the Android App issue... I thought it was a typical 2 yr "enod of like" issue with Lithium batteries on the phone.

Over the years I have found all of my Fitbit Bluetooth products get confused with too many Bluetooth devices in close proximity to a sync.. I have always had success with Fitbit Connect with a BIG but.....

I have just tried to sync via Fitbit Connect on the Windows 7 PC as I'm posting this and it gave up trying to sync.. Fitbits couldn't be found...  I turned off Bluetooth on my phone and an immediate dual sync..  Fitbit Ionic and One..

Also a trap is when you have multiple computers in the house, for example a Windows 10 with Bluetooth and you have been attempting to pair there.. That caused me some grief a few months ago and I had to unpair there..

Also I find when you sync via the phone you will find the data is on the server many minutes before the return journey is updated on the phone App..  I have had up to 5 minutes as documented in another post.

Also I rarely restart the Ionic, never restart the One and most nights I switch my phone off and switch it on when I wake up.. So there is a phone restart. Occasionally he Fitbit App has a message that Bluetooth needs restarting.  Everything I use works including notifications and Fitbit Pay..

My specs are in my signature.. and I have been a Fitbit user for nearly 7 years and the only dramas have been a replaced Blaze for a scratched screen, and an Ionic because Support realized it was never connecting to the GPS.. and this last couple of weeks I'm working with Support because the Ionic battery was having a sudden battery drain at 4 days when it was about 60%. So far the factory reset may have helped but I wont know for another 3 days..  '

'

Here is the Windows 7 Fitbit Connect.

Also

sync ionic and One.jpg

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

@Augurey- I agree on this point.

I followed the advice of support to do a factory reset. It's been stuck on the Fitbit icon ever since. The battery ran out through the night. I thought maybe that would resolve something - I charged it up and it is still stuck on logo.

No resets make any difference.

The watch is dead.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Colinm39

Thank you for the comprehensive reply.

The battery drain issue was present on my Sony as well. Heavy battery loss. However I switched off all the auto update settings to minimise comms between the two devices. This reduced the battery drain enough that I could run the phone whilst at work without needing to carry around my charger. I just manually synced a few times a day (without problem until Monday).

I hope the software update they provided works well for you 🙂

I've not heard from support for 24 hours now, despite an email and posting all over this Ionic forum for help.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Souldeep Thanks for the thought... App2.74.1 fixed my phone's battery drain and App 2.74.2 fixed the excess data usage

Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

Many android users are having the same issue with their ionics since the 12th of July 2018.

Fitbit is claiming it is becaus the phone is not compatible for all of these users.

However it will still connect, but not store data.

And for all it worked perfectly before.

The issue is clearly not with my huawei, samsung motorola or your Sony.

I tried using my computer app, but also not supported for windows 7 ...

If fitbit does an update and 100 devices are no longer supported the devices are not to blame.

Best Answer

@SouldeepReading your post I presume you don't have a Fitbit Dongle to give you compatibility through your Windows 7 computer..and sync ability

They are only about $10 in the the Fitbit stores and a great insurance policy for any Fitbit..

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Tamtamtommy interesting. I didn't realise so many users were having problems from the same date. The date seems very coincidental. 

As I've written elsewhere, the Ionic is sold as OS compatible, not device list compatible. Seems disingenuous to start telling customers this after purchase.

Last night I called an 0800 number I saw shared elsewhere on these forums. They did conclude that my Bluetooth on the Fitbit has failed and it has been escalated. I've not received an email from that escalation yet though. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Colinm39 thanks for the suggestion. However whether with dongle or not, Windows 7 users will remain unsupported. To add to this, I think I've spent too much already on ionic accessories. Whilst I'm discovering if the Fitbit can be returned, the accessories are sadly not returnable, and useless by themselves. 

Best Answer
0 Votes