Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic firmware update OS 3.0 keeps failing

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

The firmware update keep failing. I have tried restarting phone and Ionic but still keep getting the fail notice. Anyone else having this issue?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

Hi @maioui.

Is WiFi set up on your Ionic? If so I would suggest connecting the charging cable to your Ionic and then plugging it into a power source (this will force the Ionic to connect to your WiFi network), then try starting the update again.

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same issue here. Fitbit was working fine until Wednesday when it said an update was available (the Ionic screen was flashing the link to the setup page in).

I tried everything. EVERYTHING that I've read about and it keeps failing.

I tried on wifi at home (within 3 feet of router), at work.

I tried on 2.4 and 5 signal.

I tried on bluetooth.

I tried on my laptop (wifi and hard wired).

I then tried all of the above AGAIN after resetting my fitbit

And then again after removing my ionic completely from my fitbit profile.

And then again after uninstalling my fitbit app.

And then again after forgetting the device on bluetooth.

Yes my fitbit was fully charged, and yes I had the latest app version.

The error messages include 1) asking to try bluetooth vs wifi (back and forth), 2) something went wronf /abort, 3) firmware update issue, 4) never landing anywhere.

This is unbelievable. Can someone please look into this?

The only reason I've waited 48hours is because of tax season, and my patience (up until last night) to have this run while filing taxes).

Best Answer

Welcome on board @maioui! Thanks for restarting your Ionic, nice way to go!

I was wondering if you could complete the firmware update on your Ionic? Have you tried what @N8teGee suggested? If the issue persists, please see: Why can't I update my Fitbit device?

Hello @CPFrenchie, thanks for jumping in here!  Also, thanks for following those steps in order to solve the issue with the firmware update.I have reached out to our support team and created a case regarding your inquiry. Someone will be reaching out to you within the next 24-72 hours with next steps. 

Let me know if there's anything else I may do to assist. I'll be around! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Was this problem resolved. I have the exact same issue.

My Ionic is an expensive wristband at present as its totally useless.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Sorry, it didn’t. My watch is now totally useless.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
Best Answer
0 Votes

so after a lot of trial and errors, the following finally worked for me:

we suggest that you perform the factory reset using this method:

1. On the device, hold all three buttons for about ten to twelve seconds. 
  2. When the Fitbit logo disappears, quickly release the bottom right button, continuing to hold down the left and top right buttons (releasing the bottom right button as soon as the logo disappears is time sensitive). 
  3. When the device vibrates, release all buttons. 
  4. Wait for approximately one to two minutes while the device clears all data. Eventually, the Fitbit logo appears and the device boots and displays Fitbit.com/setup.
  5. When the device successfully resets, you can use the normal out of the box process of updating the firmware (See How do I update my Fitbit device?).
Best Answer
0 Votes

You're this forum's hero! Thank you, it worked for me too, finally!!!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Didn't work for me. Got to the point where the phone showed "Setting up Ionic, Updating 5%" and never got past that. Tracker showed a red X, then a green checkmark, then repeated these two screens until the phone told me "Update failed."

Best Answer
0 Votes