Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic heart rate monitor accuracy concern

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have had two Ionic’s and in both cases the HR monitor does not capture the right rate until I am well into my run or walk. It initially goes way too high, 170-190 almost immediately, then it “snaps” back down minutes later to a normal rate 140-150. Sometimes I can take it off, put it back on while running and fixes it. Very frustrating and it seems to be getting worse. 

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Hi @dfwvol, it's nice to see you again participating here in the Community Forums.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, I understand how frustrating this matter can be for you. Heart-rate tracking can be affected by several factors including air temperature and device location on your arm. For more information about this, please check our help articles:

However, if your heart-rate tracker seems inaccurate after taking the recommendations into account, please reply with answers to the following questions so I can further investigate:

1. What were you doing when you noticed the problem? If you were exercising, specifically what types of exercise?
  2. Were you wearing the Fitbit device particularly tight or loose?
  3. What was the position of the Fitbit device on your wrist? 

I'll be waiting for your reply if further assistance is needed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the reply. 

I read through the help notes as requested and don’t see anything I am not following for the best results.  To answer your questions:

I wear my Ionic on my left wrist, top of wrist. I usually snug it so that it does not move excessively when exercising.  I notice this usually when I walk or run. Usually at the beginning, but not always. The Ionic ramps quickly to a very high HR, then after minutes it will snap to a lower HR. Sometimes I can take it off while running so that it loses my HR, then put it back on and it will go to the correct rate. 

A7EAB77F-D75A-4160-A0FC-9EE383A2C5E7.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

So an update on this. I shaved the hair from my arm where the watch sits, just to see if it was better. It worked fine on my 5k today, so will update if that result is consistent for the week. 

Best Answer

You're welcome @dfwvol, your replies are also appreciated.

I'm happy to know that you didn't experience the same issue today during your 5k run. Please do not hesitate to contact me back if you experience the same issue or if you have any additional questions about your Ionic, I'll be here in the Community Forums ready to provide you assistance.

Keep me posted.

Best Answer
0 Votes