Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic in Salt water

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I'm often swimming at the beach, including surfing. Is the Ionic, fine when it comes to salt water? I of course won't be going very deep with the watch, but knowing that it can withstand waves and saltwater is rather important. Any feedback would be great, before I order!

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@blodsbror @datalore Ionic is water resistant up to 50 meters for use in the pool, ocean, shower or rain. As @USAF-Larry @SunsetRunner said, I would recommend rinsing off the salt water after an ocean dip to prevent salt buildup, as with any other device.

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
52 REPLIES 52

I obviously can't answer for a product that hasn't shipped, but I can tell you I have a watch with the 50m rating and I swim often at the beach with no problems. 

Best Answer

Since sweat won't bother it, it would not seem that saltwater would affect it either. But, it would probably be a good idea to rinse the saltwater off after the swim to prevent corrosion of the aluminum frame.

Best Answer

When I spoke to Fitbit, they said the Ionic was fine to swim in the ocean with. Their only caveat was to rinse it off afterwards, to prevent any salt buildup.

Best Answer

@blodsbror @datalore Ionic is water resistant up to 50 meters for use in the pool, ocean, shower or rain. As @USAF-Larry @SunsetRunner said, I would recommend rinsing off the salt water after an ocean dip to prevent salt buildup, as with any other device.

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer

I surfed with my 3 day old fitbit for - like and 1 hr session - it died. I had to replace it. Now I'm scared of surfing with it again....very dissapointed that I can't track my surf 😕

Best Answer

Did you surf with the Ionic?

Best Answer

Punta Cana, here I come!! 

Best Answer

I scuba to about 25 ft with mine while in Cancun in Nov 2017.  I got out and used the fresh water bucket to rinse off my ionic. Never had a problem.  Worked great under water too.  It's been in every kind of water as well as a float spa (high salt float pod).  No problems.  Just rinse it really well after you get out.

Best Answer

I’ve had two sport watches that were supposed to be water proof up to 50m but after swimming in a saline pool for a few months both started digging up on the inside.   I am going to swim with my Iconic and I’ll let you know what happens.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Alexandrovmwrote:

Punta Cana, here I come!! 

Was in the ocean at Punta Cana for half an hour (splashing, maybe 5ft) and my Ionic died. Wife's Blaze was doing just fine. Was fully charged and will not reset.  Disappointed...

Best Answer

I was snorkeling in the ocean and now my Ionic will not turn on. It says it's water proof? 

Best Answer

The Spec say:

Water Resistant up to 50M & Tracks Swims

Wear your watch in the pool or rain & use it to track swim workouts with stats like lap counting, duration and calories burned.

With snorkeling you go deeper than that

Put it in Rice for at least 48 hours and hopefully it will come back

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

@WendyB wrote:

The Spec say:

Water Resistant up to 50M & Tracks Swims

Wear your watch in the pool or rain & use it to track swim workouts with stats like lap counting, duration and calories burned.

With snorkeling you go deeper than that

Put it in Rice for at least 48 hours and hopefully it will come back

usually you're near the top of the water when you snorkel. Smiley LOL

I went swimming in the ocean with it a couple times, no problems. likely a faulty unit, exchange it.

Best Answer

Your right I ead thinking Scuba Diving for some reason.

Glad you hot it exchanged

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

I wouldn't trust the IONIC in salt water, especially to surf.  Mine lasted about 3 sessions and then died.  Replacement process took almost 3 weeks. I surfed again with the replacement.  The first two sessions were fine, and I rinsed it each time afterwards.  During the 3rd session it died again.  Was able to revive the watch after a week only to figure out the touch screen no longer works.  I finally convinced Amazon to give me a refund.  If you want a fitness watch to go in the ocean on a regular basis, this is not the product.  I wasted so much time trying to fix it, doing factory resets and all that other nonsense.  Good concept by Fitbit, very poor execution.

Best Answer

My ionic died today after an hour in the saltwater .Fitbit wont replace it because i bought it from ebay

Best Answer

We are going on a cruise soon and have some snorkeling excursions planned.  I know the Ionic is waterproof to 50M and that should be plenty.  However has anyone had any issues with salt water causing issues with the button operation etc?

Best Answer

Should be fine, just rinse it off afterwards.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

A warm welcome to the Community @DrHuggybear! Just as @WavyDavey mentioned, you can use it because Ionic is water resistant up to 50 meters for use in the pool, ocean, shower or rain. However, just make sure you're rising off the salt water after an ocean dip to prevent salt buildup, as with any other device. 

Hope this helps! Don't hesitate to share your experience. Robot Happy

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes