Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic is counting floors while driving

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

How is climbing floors calculated? The ionic somehow counted 17 floors while i was driving on my way to work...

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

found a document that indicated the floors are calculated based on barometric pressure. I got about 17 floors this morning again... while i was driving on the way to work. anyone else seeing that?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey there @disgustipated, it's nice to see you around the forums! As you mentioned, your Ionic uses both the accelerometer and the altimeter to track floors.  Algorithms interpret the raw data into a floor.  It registers a floor when it detects continuous motion combined with an elevation gain of about 10 feet.

Said that, here are some of the possible causes for this inaccuracy:

• The tracker may track floors while driving, on an elevator or in an escalator
  • Due to the Ionic is a wristband tracker, it may track floors while opening doors, from a weather change, or from a gust of wind (i.e.  pressure changes)

Occasionally your tracker may detect pressure changes unrelated to elevation gains, such as a gust of wind, weather change, or opening a door. Exposure to excess moisture can also result in extra floors being counted. This happens if the pathway to the altimeter on the back of your tracker becomes temporarily blocked with sweat or water. I recommend that your tracker be worn loosely during exercise. 

However, there are 3 ways you can prevent this:

1. You can plug your tracker into the charging cable while you are driving -- the Fitbit will not count steps while it is charging.  

2. If you have a compatible Android or iOS device you can download an app called DriveBit while will automatically create a driving activity for you and eliminate the steps

3. You can log the driving manually by following the steps in this article

Hope this helps, I'll be around if you need further assistance! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I have experienced the same when I am out driving my motorbike, Ionic is counting both steps and floors. I have sent a message to the Fitbit support about this..

Best Answer
0 Votes