Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic is dead and will not charge

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My ionic completely died and I have tried to charge it for a few days now through that USB on my computer and in the wall with no luck. According to the app it says my battery is completely dead and phone will not connect to it. I have cleaned the cable and connections but the charger works for my wifes, so I know its the watch. I'm not sure what else to do? I've tried to restart it holding the buttons with no luck? Can someone please help?

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi everyone, 

Thank you for the details mentioned and the troubleshooting performed. I see where your disappointment is coming from. 

If your Ionic isn't charging, please try the tips provided in this article Why isn't my Fitbit device's battery charging? 

If after trying the troubleshooting provided above, you're still having difficulties, contact our Support team or create a new thread. As of now, this thread will be closed, in an effort to keep the forums organized. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
207 REPLIES 207

sorry totally no help whatsoever but this also just happened to me 3 days ago.

Best Answer

Try a factory reset usingnthe buttons but ifbthat doesnt fix it you will need to contact Support (link in my signature)

FACTORY RESET USING BUTTONS
On the watch, hold all three buttons for about twelve seconds. This triggers the 2-button hardware reboot after about eight seconds.
- When the Fitbit logo appears, then disappears, release the bottom right button, then continue holding the left and top right buttons until you feel a strong vibration. This indicates the factory reset was initiated.
- This process may take several seconds, and eventually, the Fitbit logo appears and the device boots and displays go to Fitbit.com/setup.
- If you fail to release the bottom right button in time, or otherwise don't follow the procedure precisely, the Fitbit logo reappears quickly and boots without factory reset.

If the device turns on, please go back to the Fitbit app and setup your device back to your account with these steps. Make sure your watch is plugged into a wall plug or a computer, next to the router and that there are no other trackers or devices with Bluetooth on nearby when setting up.  Please log into your account, go to account on the upper right corner, there look for "setup a device" and tap on it. Follow the instructions on the screen and let the watch charge for 2 hours.

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

It's nice to see you guys around @Nproctor501 and @nicosch! Sorry to hear about the inconveniences you've been having with your Fitbit Ionic. Thanks for the steps you've taken in order to sort this out, nice way to go! 

Have you guys tried what @NellyG shared with you? 

Have you tried charging it at least 1 hour? Even if you don't get anything on the screen I'd recommend charging your tracker at least 1 hour to see if the battery icon comes up after that period of time. 

If after the 1-2 hours you don't get anything on the display, check if the contacts on your tracker or charging cable are not dirty. Dust and debris can accumulate over time and prevent a charge. I know you @Nproctor501 have tested this, but I'd appreciate if you double check these instructions to make sure you've performed the steps properly.

How do you charge your buddy? Have you checked if by any chance the USB port or outlet is faulty? If you haven't done so, try a different port. A UL-certified wall charger will also work. Don't use a USB hub.

If so, plug the charging cable into the USB port on your computer or a UL-certified USB wall charger. 

Hold the other end of the charging cable near the port on the back of the watch until attaches magnetically.

I'd also try restarting your Ionic once more by following these steps

Give this a shot and let me know the outcome! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

I have the same problem, I change it over night and still nothing, I try holding down the buttons to reset and restart it but nothing is working at this time 

Best Answer

This just happened to me this morning.   I just tried resetting with no luck.  When I get home I will charge it again.  I just charged it last night before bed.

Best Answer

Same problem here for the second time in three months. I have done every protocol and contacted support today.  My fitbit has died. Their only offer was 40% off of a new one because I'm 2 months out of warranty.  NO THANKS.

Best Answer

I did not use my FitBit Ionic for over a month.  As a result it lost all of its charge.  It will not recharge.

I have cleaned the contacts.

I have tried three different USB charging ports including my computer, each for over two hours.

I have tried the steps to restarting the watch using the instructions you provided.

Any other recommendations?

Best Answer

I had the exact same issue occur on Friday. 

Best Answer
I called customer support and they shipped .e a new one under warranty. 

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Best Answer

Glad you got it solved. My wife has been suggesting that I call but i
haven't had a chance. I hate to bad mouth Fitbit because I really like
their products but 2 months out of warranty!? That's cold.

Sincerely,

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer

If you purchased with a credit card, check your card benefits - many credit cards offer extended warranty (potentially an additional 24 months) on anything you purchase with it. I am on my 3rd Ionic - first failed within 2 weeks (screen flicker and then dead) and the replacement failed after 9 months - would not charge, now does not hold charge and seemingly likes to count steps while sitting on my bedside table when it does hold charge for a bit! 3rd Ionic on the way in the mail.

For an otherwise smart watch (looks and function), I am disappointed in its reliability. Will see how the 3rd behaves. Fitbit support has been good otherwise although we'll see when the official 1-year warranty runs out.

Best Answer

Yeah happens to me a week ago, they sent me a new cable hoping it was that. No dice, and since I received it as a christman present, 2017, it's out of the one year warranty. Lucky me. I have been using Fitbit since the flex, and the Ionic is my 4th. I have never had one just die and a random time for no reason. I mean s#$t, I still have a working charge HR and surge that I replaced the bands and game would be my teenagers. They are still working fine and they were half the price, well almost half for the surge, but that's besides the point. Point is older cheaper models, still working 4 years later. Dead after 1yr 3 months. And because of an obvious problem(this thread sums it up) I get an " I'm sorry, here is a 25% coupon to buy one from the store.".....shame...ding ding ding.....shame. But all seriously, I even told them the same thing one how I still have the others ones that work still. But the line about the coupon was repeated. I then asked, how am I supposed to pay 300(without coupon) if the one time I paid double vs other fitbits in the past, for a product that has a track record of failing vat random time. I was then told about the coupon again. Of course I'm pissed, as anyone else would be in our situation. And rightfully so.  I have stuck with them and been branded since 2013. I guess it's time to venture out and see what other wearables that have a track record of better support and premium devices that don't just shut off right out of warranty.

Best Answer

This just happened to me. Can’t believe this $300 Watch only lasts 13 months. And got the same option to purchase a new one for a slight discount.  I do not plan on spending anymore money on Fitbit. We own 5 Fitbit products. I guess it’s time to try another brand. 

Best Answer

This is my second one it happened to and it always right around when the warranty is just ran out. I wouldn't recommend Fitbit to anyone.

Best Answer

Do you have warranty on it? If it ran out, ur Fitbit is done, sorry

Best Answer

I would recommend trying all possible routes to getting a refund via the original retailer and credit card company. In EU countries Fitbit and other companies need to adhere to a two year warranty under consumer law.

This is an issue which a large majority of Fitbit Ionic users are experiencing and continues to be ignored by Fitbit. It happened when the latest software update was released and, really, it should be fixed at a software level or the units should be recalled.

I had three replacements of my Ionic and all three bricked. I was able to get a refund from the store I purchased it from and purchased a Garmin instead. I have had no problems with it at all and it just works - just like the Ionic should.

Martin | UK | Cycling and Running
Ionic: adidas edition, Charge 2 and Aria 2
Previous: Fitbit (1st Gen), One, Surge, Aria, Flex and Flex 2
Best Answer

I did all the things that was suggested. Clean the charger...nothing, bought two new cables...nothing. It’s dead now for a couple weeks and the Fitbit warranty expired. I had it just over a year. Still hoping that it will come back up. Two Surges broke and now the Ionic😪

Best Answer

I encountered the same problem. When the battery is totally flat, the Ionic will not shut down properly and it cannot be revived by charging, unlike cellphones do. This is an inherent software design problem and Fitbit should take responsibility, regardless of validity of warranty. 

Best Answer
I agree. I decided to purchase the Apple Watch. This is the 3rd watch from Fitbit so time to cut my loses.

Sent from Archie's iPhone
Best Answer