Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic is not tracking steps and heart rate

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I am having a similar problem with my Ionic. It recently stopped tracking steps and heartbeat.

I have updated the application (version 2.7.3) and have updated the firmware (version 27.32.10.15)

I also have deleted and removed the Ionic twice.

I did a factory reset of the device twice.

When the firmware is being updated I noticed the phone app kept spinning, so didnt seem to finish.

Not sure what to try next. 

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
74 REPLIES 74

Welcome to the Fitbit Community @Wesnicfitster! Thanks for already troubleshooting this inconvenience on your own, nice way to go! 

Since this sounds a bit more serious, I've created a Support Case on your behalf - you should soon receive an email from Customer Support at the email you used to register with the Community forums. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to let me know. Woman Very Happy

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

Does your clock face need an update? Mine did and that fixed the problem for me. 

Best Answer

Whew thank you! It just fixed mine as well. 🙂

Best Answer

Awesome news @dragonbear @Ashdog86! I'm glad to hear that after updating the clock face your tracker is back to normal. 

Hope to see you participating in the Community more often since I think it would be awesome for you to explore our Community. You can go ahead and log to any of the topics that might be of your interest in our Discussion boards. Feel free to comment and contribute with your knowledge and experience.

Happy stepping guys! 

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

Hello everyone.

I have a IONIC that also stopped working 2 days ago. it collects a few steps a day and does not collect any heart rate at all. I followed some of the suggestions on the post and when i reset the clock face it started working for a couple of hours but then stopped again.

any other suggestions ? can I force a firmware update although its at the latest version?

any help would be appreciated

Best Answer

A warm welcome to the Community @ChrisCDMS! I appreciate the troubleshooting that you've followed. 

It's pretty weird what you're experiencing. If your Ionic has the latest firmware version, it's not possible to force a firmware update because you're running the latest one already. 

The lights on the Ionic won't turn off even if the setting is set to off. However, it will stop recording your heart rate and won't show any data on your Dashboard. I would like you to confirm that the heart rate is on. Go to your Ionic > settings > heart rate > on. 

After this, reply to the following questions: 

- Are you not seeing any heart rate data on your Dashboard or just your Ionic?

- Have you restarted your watch?

I'll be around if you have any other questions! 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same problem. The firmware and watch face seem to be on the latest version. It tracks my heart rate but nothing else

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey there @SunsetRunner, it's nice to see you around the forums! Sorry to hear that your Ionic is not tracking your data. 

While reading your post I was wondering if the data is not being showed up on your Ionic or it's but it's not syncing to your Fitbit app?

Either way, I'd recommend to follow these steps:

• Make sure that your Fitbit app is up-to-date
  • Log out of your Fitbit app
  • Force quit the app
  • Restart your Ionic 
  • Turn off the Bluetooth
  • Shut off your phone and turn it on after 1-2 minutes
  • Turn on the Bluetooth
  • Log back into your Fitbit app

Hope this helps, keep me in the loop! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
The instructions for restarting the Iconic are not working as stated either.
Best Answer

Thank you for this fix, it fixed mine right away! Seems like a bit of a silly thing to have to do to keep it working though, especially with technology now.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the same problem.  I have updated everything and nothing is working.

Best Answer

So the clock reset only worked briefly. I have tried re-starting my ionic & resetting it but now it won’t connect at all & all it is doing is flashing up with the Fitbit.com/setup message in every different language. When I go into the app to re-assign it nothing works, it just searches for the ionic & asks for it to be turned on, which it is, have full charge, which it does & be within Bluetooth range, which it is. I only bought this at the start of 2019 maybe late 2018 so I haven’t even had it 12 months. 

Best Answer

Same problem. I have done everything. turn off/on several times. Disconnect and reinstall from the app. Bluetooth on and off. Changed the clock face - nothing has helped.

I called support and the best they could do is a 15% discount or 40% if I buy another Ionic since it has been over 12 months.

Even with a 40% discount, I am not very happy. This is clearly a manufacturing defect. 

Best Answer

Also - it continuously disconnects from the wifi. Extremely frustrating. 

Best Answer

I believe it all has to do with the recent soft ware update. Fitbit ultimately could not figure out the problem and I got the 40% discount offer as well. Anyway the heart rate and step counting stopped around that time. The heart rate issue I still can’t figure out but for the step counting try this:

In choosing a new clock face go to “all clocks” and look at the details of it 1) make sure it’s free bc you don’t want to pay for that and 2) see when it was last updated (I noticed most/ all Fitbit’s clocks were updated Nov 2018)  I found a clock that was updated very recently like May or June 2019. I downloaded that and then I reset my tracker holding down left button and bottom right button. After that it started counting. I DONT know how long this will stay working but for now at least it seems to be. 

Best Answer

Thanks - saw your post on another thread too. Hopefully this new update will fix the issue. If not, I'm not sure I'll be reordering. 

Best Answer

I'm having a similar issue. My Ionic device recently stopped tracking heart rate & steps. I deleted the device, and reinstalled, and then then it was tracking steps when I wasn't even moving at a rapid rate, but no heart rate. I reinstalled, and am back to the device not tracking either. Help! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Nothing I tried worked to fix it. They eventually gave me 40 percent discount and I got a new one. I heard of others getting half price. I think the software got all messed up and fb covered their tracks. Their warranties should have covered software problems past the 1 year they give you.

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes
Well, that's annoying. I feel like if it's a software issue, that's on
them. Why should we have to buy a whole new device? Mine was working
perfectly fine until this last update, and now won't track any activity.
They should either update/fix the software, or replace our devices for
free.
Best Answer