Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic is registering steps while driving

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

While I'm driving car or work truck watch constantly counting steps

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@Bulldogg78 Welcome to the Community Forums. 

Please not wrist trackers count steps depending on the movement of your arms. Fitbit has worked hard to make sure that our devices do not pick up false steps or activity recordings while driving. Unless you're driving in a car with a very stiff transmission or on bumpy roads, your device should not give you false readings. Also, if you place it in a surface with something vibrating or if you make hard hand movements. You can learn more about how your Fitbit tracks steps by checking the article: How accurate are Fitbit devices?

However, there are 2 ways you can prevent this from happening while you drive:

1. You can plug your tracker into the charging cable while you are driving -- the Fitbit will not count steps while it is charging.  

2. You can log the driving manually by following the steps in this article

Hope that helps. 

Cindy|Community Moderator| Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

@Bulldogg78 Welcome to the Community Forums. 

Please not wrist trackers count steps depending on the movement of your arms. Fitbit has worked hard to make sure that our devices do not pick up false steps or activity recordings while driving. Unless you're driving in a car with a very stiff transmission or on bumpy roads, your device should not give you false readings. Also, if you place it in a surface with something vibrating or if you make hard hand movements. You can learn more about how your Fitbit tracks steps by checking the article: How accurate are Fitbit devices?

However, there are 2 ways you can prevent this from happening while you drive:

1. You can plug your tracker into the charging cable while you are driving -- the Fitbit will not count steps while it is charging.  

2. You can log the driving manually by following the steps in this article

Hope that helps. 

Cindy|Community Moderator| Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution!
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks alot for your email..appreciate the help
Best Answer

Thanks for your response @Bulldogg78.

It was a pleasure. If you need further assistance, let me know, I'll be happy to help. 

Have a great day! 

Best Answer

I have the same problem. I've had my ionic almost 2 years, and this has never happened before.

Last night my Fitbit recorded 2500 steps while I was driving. Today I factory reset it, and updated it, and it's now registered almost 900 steps in the last 30 minutes of driving. This is unacceptable.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome! It's great to see you around @Krisbaum.

Thanks for the details shared on your post and for the troubleshooting tried prior posting. Your device has been tested against driving and riding in buses, trains, and other public transportation and shouldn’t add steps when you’re traveling under normal conditions. On bumpy roads or in a car with a stiff transmission your device may add some steps. For most customers, the number of extra steps added when driving isn’t significant when compared to your overall stats. If you want to remove the steps from your daily total, manually log the driving activity for the time you were in a vehicle. For more information, see How do I add, edit, or delete Fitbit data and activities?

See you around. 

Best Answer
0 Votes