Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic is tracking too many steps and floors while driving a motorcycle

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I just purchased a Fitbit Ionic.  I love it so far; however the steps and stairs data is out of wack.   It says I have done many flights of stairs when I have done none.  Also steps data is way too high.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

See How accurate are Fitbit devices?

For many problems, trying a restart 3 times is a good first step.

Being worn on the wrist, it detect steps by the normal swinging of the arms while walking.  Fitbit tries to tell the difference but some arm movements may get interpreted as steps.  Most people find that over the course of a day, these errors are relatively small.  But some activities involving much hand and arm use might give significant over-steps.  Some such activities are knitting, rocking in rocking chair, work as hairdresser.  If you are about to do such an activity, you might get more accurate step count putting it in your pocket during the activity, but that loses the heart rate.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer

When I ride my motorcycle my stair and step count skyrockets. Very
annoying. I don’t think think there is any way to address this. Any ideas?

Moderator edit: removed personal information

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Fitbit Community @Greggory! Have you taken a look at the article that @JohnnyRow has shared with you? 

Remember that the wrist trackers count steps depending on the movement of your arms, when you are driving or for example when your tracker is close to a fan, your tracker counts steps due to the vibrations. You can learn more about how your Fitbit tracks steps by checking the article provided above.

In order to avoid your Ionic 2 to record so many extra steps while driving, I can suggest you a few things: 

1. Manually log Driving activity for certain time period to negate all steps in that time, still leaving heart rate data and calories.
2. Attach anywhere else on torso or in pocket to avoid it tracks steps while driving. You'll always see calories burned. 
3. Try with DriveBit app which is super easy to use and you can set it to custom activity name. Just hit start when sitting, and then stop when your up and moving. It does everything else for you and subtracts the accumulated steps from your count after it's logged.

Also, another thing I do while I drive with my tracker is to plug it into the USB charger while I'm in the car. It pauses counting while charging and I never get a flat battery. I don't bother for short drives. But don't forget to put it back on after your car ride! Woman Very Happy If you also experience this while driving a car, you can try this. I guess there's no way to do this on the motorcycle. 

Most of the users are requesting for an option/way to avoid erroneous steps during activities that don't include steps. To what I recommend up-voting and commenting on Add "Driving Mode" feature to avoid erroneous steps/floors feature suggestion since it is very similar of what you're looking and asking for.

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer