Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic keeps losing Wi-fi and Bluetooth connections, won't finish update

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have tried more than 20 times to update my Ionic's software.  Bluetooth and Wi-fi are fully connected on all my devices, but the Ionic app keeps reporting that it's searching for these connections.  Finally, for the first time (with nothing else changed), it DID connect last night for a long time -- and then reported failure.

Unfortunately, it seems that the update was half finished.  I lost my footstep counter, apparently; I've been walking around all day, but not a step was recorded.

Since I have more money than luck (not much of either, but enough to do this:) I'm wondering if I should simply buy another Ionic, on the theory that it will ALREADY have 2.0 installed on it.  Expensive but if my current Ionic won't even record my steps, it's no good to me, and my Fitbit connections have always been a problem, even with earlier trackers.

I wish the charger were also a data connection to my computer, so I could get the update directly from the website instead of using either Wi-fi or Bluetooth.  Direct connection via cable is far more reliable than any over-the-air connection, always (my home network still uses Ethernet, but when traveling I use Wi-fi -- the difference is always clear).

Anyway:  1. Can I restore footstep-counting in some way?  2. If I buy a new Ionic from Fitbit, will it already have the 2.0 firmware installed?  3. Is there some magical trick to getting a stable connection between the Fitbit App and the Ionic?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

OK, I contacted the online chat and found out that (a) 2.0 HAD installed, in spite of what the App told me last night, and (b) all my fitbit needed was a reboot, which I did not know how to do.  Now it's counting steps again.  Kudos to the helpline folks.

Also, I learned that the new Ionics do NOT ship with 2.0.  You have to update them when you start them up.  Just FYI.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
13 REPLIES 13

@OrsonCard I'm not sure what your referingr to as "foot step counter", are you refering to the today screen where today's step totals are displayed? If so the Today screen can be accesses with a swipe up. Please review the release notes

Best Answer
0 Votes

OK, I contacted the online chat and found out that (a) 2.0 HAD installed, in spite of what the App told me last night, and (b) all my fitbit needed was a reboot, which I did not know how to do.  Now it's counting steps again.  Kudos to the helpline folks.

Also, I learned that the new Ionics do NOT ship with 2.0.  You have to update them when you start them up.  Just FYI.

Best Answer
0 Votes

No, the problem was it was displaying my steps, but as 0.  It wasn't counting them.  I could get them to display my total, it just wasn't correct.  BUT ... with a reboot (which I had not known how to do), the problem self-healed.  Wish that would work on my aging body, but ...

Best Answer
0 Votes

How do you reboot your ionic? Mine started the update and now the screen is frozen

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for posting!!. I was having the same exact issue with my Ionic the past couple of days. I did a reboot and it seems to be connecting for the firmware update now. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hold down the left button and the right bottom button for 10 seconds.

Best Answer
0 Votes
How do you do a roboot?
Best Answer
0 Votes

Well the reboot got the step count up to date but still not able to get the firmware update going. Bluetooth and wi-fi are good to go. The update starts but within a minute I get an error for either Bluetooth and then when I try with wi-fi I get an error with wi-fi. This is day 3 of not being able to update the firmware. I'll keep trying.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SaraHurd21 read @fitblit's post above yours. Or click on the help link below and search for restart

Best Answer
0 Votes

To reboot the Ionic, you have to press and hold the left button and bottom right button until you see the Fitbit logo .

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's good to see you around in the forums @Fionnah

Thank you for sharing the steps to complete the restart process, I'm sure it'll be helpful to other users. 

Keep on stepping. Smiley Happy

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer
0 Votes

I found mine was doing the same thing however it actually had updated. Go to  your Fitbit app and select the Ionic to see that the sync is working. I believe it won’t sync until update is successful. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for sharing this information @BellaR! I'm sure it will be useful for other users as well. 😀 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer
0 Votes