Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic losing GPS connection during activity

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I've had my Ionic for a couple of weeks and have completed two runs so far.  Before I started each run I made sure the GPS status said "connected".  At some point during each run GPS lost connection and switched to "connecting" on the run activity screen.  During my second run I noticed this happened about 44 minutes into the run.  I ran another 14 minutes to finish and during that entire time the GPS status never said "connected" again.  By the way my Ionic has the latest FW, OS2.1.

I see lots of threads about GPS never connecting but I haven't seen this issue yet.  

Best Answer
89 REPLIES 89

hi not sure if  my problem is a loss of GPS. If i start an activity occasionally my ionic will just stop recording. just switches itself off. I did a 2 mile walk today 3 times, the exact same walk on the third walk it was recording at the 1 mile point but about 3 or 4 minutes later it was no longer recording and was just on the normal screen. nothing recorded at all. is this a GPS issue or an ionic issue? thanks 

@DavideFitbit wrote:

Hi everyone, thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with the GPS accuracy and what you've experienced with the GPS disconnecting during the activity, I'm sure this will be helpful for other users as well. 

As it was mentioned previously, the GPS requires a direct path to the satellites in order to receive their radio transmissions, and there are several reasons why GPS data could be negatively affected.  The accuracy depends on both your environment and the weather; the GPS signal could be affected because you're underground, near many tall buildings, or as a result of atmospheric effects. 

I'm aware that you probably already tried all the basic troubleshooting steps, however, it won't harm to take a look at all the information here about the requirements, error messages and troubleshooting steps that could help to improve GPS accuracy. They could also be useful for other users checking this thread for the first time. Also, updating the firmware could be of help, if you haven't done so already. 

Also, make sure the Fitbit app is updated to the latest version available. 

Thanks for all the feedback, Fitbit continuously works to improve the quality of products and services, and all this information is useful to our team of developers. Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience. 

I hope this helps. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey @dblockdotorg @passaic! Thanks a lot for the thorough feedback for the Fitbit environment, customer service and devices. This has not gone unnoticed and be sure that I will pass this along.

We don't want to create frustration in our customers. Fitbit has been designed to provide motivation and help you to reach your daily goals to success. Please know that we provide feedback to our team based on community posts and we are always working on improving our devices and overall environment based on that feedback.

Thanks for the tip you've provided, hope this helps to other users. Man Very Happy

Hey there @Jacknook, thanks for stopping by! It seems that your tracker is crashing. I'd recommend to try to interact with the display (e.g. swipe once or twice twice) after you start the workout, but before you reach your first auto lap point. Give this a shot and let me know if that works for you! 

If there's any questions present, let me know! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

I know there are things that can cause issues with GPS but that clearly is not the case with what I have experienced.

I used a MotoACTV for ~7 years and although I had a rare occasional GPS loss it is no where near 1/3 of the time like I have experienced with the Ionic (it would also recover when the GPS signal improved which the Ionic does not).  Also I have run with that MotoACTV on one wrist and the Ionic on the other and the Ionic will lose GPS while the MotoACTV will not.

Also, sometimes I run multiple laps of a specific route and I will lose GPS in an area that it worked fine in < 30 minutes prior and will never recover over the rest of the run where it was also working fine < 30 minutes prior.

Fitibit needs to investigate this as the real issue it is not just continue to dismiss it as GPS signal problems.

Also, I don't want to hear that I should factory reset my watch or update my app to the latest unless it is accompanied by "We have investigated and discovered the reason for the GPS loss on the Ionic and to permanently resolve the issue you must ..."

Ionic, Pixel 2 XL
Best Answer

The suggestion to update the firmware, app and such is not helpful.  Neither is the repeated statements about the clear path to the satellite.  All those are very old suggestions and have not worked.  Also, as I have stated before, I took my cell phone, my Garmin and the Ionic out and the only one with a problem was the Ionic.  I did this on three different times, and each time it was the Ionic.  Please do not keep making the same suggestions.

Best Answer
SRE programming mentality required. Use the software to internally diagnose what's wrong, provide feedback and telemetry automatically, and fix the problem!
Best Answer

Hi @DavideFitbit,

Not all, but substantial number of people posted here are not the first timer of GPS, including myself. We have used other brands (or smartphones) for years. 

AND our conclusion is that the GPS function of Ionic is (much) more troublesome than others (I still use Garmin FR 225 and Suunto in the past).  We all understand that any GPS devices may lose signals while we are running or biking along shady places or under a roof. But what we experienced is that Ionic suddenly get lost the signal where even other devices do not, and once happening, it (Ionic) will not reconnect again even we stop running for a while (which also never happens with other brands). or when I take a break (again while running) say going to washroom (under the roof), the same happens. 

Not sure the cause is due to firmware, software, or hardware, but again it is very basic function we outdoor athletes need.  I would appreciate if you could take it seriously. otherwise Fitbit products will not be on my list of future GPS watch replacement...

Moderator Edit: Format

Best Answer
0 Votes

There was a firmware upgrade that downloaded for me on Friday. It now says "searching..." instead of "connecting..." to GPS. I ran 22 miles today. Since the battery went from 100% down to 11% in 4+ hours last time while running with Pandora, I decided to listen through my phone and just have the Ionic do my GPS and HR tracking. It went 18 miles totally locked on...I thought it was fixed by the upgrade. Then before mile 19 it started "searching..." again (Wth?) and didn't finish mapping my run exactly where I ended. So disappointing. I ran a loop so don't tell me it's the trees or whatever. Luckily I also had my Strava app running on the phone to use the Beacon feature, so I have my accurate GPS mapping. Oh and BTW... I had 50% battery left this time...so Pandora and Bluetooth really use up a lot.

Look, Fitbit folks...all we want is for one of you to say, "Yes, we acknowledge this is a flaw. We are actively trying to fix it and will keep you updated on our progress."

If we saw that, we'd stop trying to prove it to you in these stories and better yet, give you the data you might need to resolve this.

Regardless of your potential "legal exposure", please just acknowledge the issue is accepted and taken seriously. We'll stick around...

Moderator Edit: Format

Best Answer

@Hebrews12-1 @SunsetRunner Thanks for your replies and for taking the time to provide those details regarding the experience you have had with Ionic's GPS connection. Thanks for trying the available troubleshooting steps in order to sort this out.

I went ahead and contacted you via PM. Please keep an eye on your Community inbox. 

@evillama @Yujimihori I hope you're also doing well! Thanks for your feedback and for providing all of those details regarding this situation. Thanks for also trying all of the steps available in order to sort this out.

I went ahead and created cases with customer support in your behalf. Please keep an eye on your email inbox for next steps.

Hope this helps. Keep me posted! 

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having this issue on most of my runs now. It is the most recent in a long run of issues with my second ionic. I want my money back. The product does not do want you say it will do and I've really had enough now. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Hebrews12-1 wrote:

For me running with my phone is a deal breaker.  I wouldn't have purchased the Ionic if stand alone GPS and music wasn't a feature.

This was my also my non-negotiable use case - and I'm having the exact problems as on this thread.

I only purchased the Ionic 48 hours ago so hopefully I'm a good control case for Fitbit to recognise this as a software/hardware issue, even on an out of the box device with the latest firmware installed.

I bought the Ionic as since the summer my iPhone X started to get very flaky on GPS, with large parts of tracked routes often badly misaligned with streets, cutting corners and continually 30-40+yds out.

On morning 1 with the Ionic it connected to GPS in c.30sec, I didn't notice any fall back to "connecting" (but was running 10k in torrential rain), when I got home the map was as far off as it was with an iPhone.

On morning 2 (today) with the Ionic (now at c. 55% charge) it took nearly 3 minutes to connect to GPS, but reverted to "connecting" soon after starting, and regularly during the run, then permanently from 5km.

It does a surprisingly good job of tracking the exact route in the first 1km, but after the hairpin turn inside 2km it gives up and "crow flies" for 1km, then does 3km further of flaky in and out of GPS, then just stops.

Screen Shot 2018-10-16 at 11.10.13.png

6k was actually back to the start point but it doesn't show as it never once recovered GPS, I even gave it 5 minutes at the end. I had reduced the run from my 10k anyway as it was all too much of a distraction.

I bought the Fitbit to maintain and develop my running, not to ruin it - but it's doing a good job already.

Brand new Fitbit Ionic, latest firmware installed. Close to central London. On and around a hill and parks, with average tree cover / normal victorian buildings. On both occasions I had the music player playing.

Thinking of the obvious, I'll try tomorrow morning with a full charge - I've seen references on here to the Ionic GPS being underpowered and it's true mine was 55% today when I set out (not that it should fail).

I can still return the device for a refund for another week or so, and plan to do so if this remains like this. It's a shame as I really want to like it - I read a lot of this forum before purchasing, but still went ahead!

I like the look of the device (vs the Garmin's), the screen is great (better than the Apple Watch), a bunch of things work way better for me than on an Apple Watch (Fitbit Pay, music controls, accessing apps).

But as in the post above, I ultimately bought this for standalone GPS & music. I'm even prepared to suck up awful music transfers (1 hour for 3 hours of music, fails on certain tracks), but GPS is non-negotiable.

Over to you Fitbit - anything you'd like me to test this week while I still can (besides the obvious - reboot and fully charged)......?

Best Answer

I've had my second encounter with GPS dropout. It occurred on yesterday morning's run. Just after checking the 4 mile lap notification, it moved to "Connecting". Somewhere before the 5 mile mark it apparently reconnected. I still routinely get the first mile Exercise app crash if I don't interact with the Ionic before the lap notification.

I, too, purchased the Ionic for the GPS functionality and not needing to carry my phone. I moved from a Garmin Vivoactive 3, since most of my family was using various Fitbit devices and I thought I'd get in on the challenges. I'm considering moving back to Garmin as the instability and unreliability of the Ionic is becoming a problem (and I'm seeing folks with issues on the Versa and the new Charge 3). It seem Fitbit has lost the ability to focus on getting a single, stable product to market (let alone add features that customers request).

(That said, the Vivoactive was not all smooth running either - but the issues did get addressed in a more timely fashion)

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Jacknook what you describe is not the GPS related issue but know crash that is there for I don't know how long. Any time of exercise may just terminate and go back to the watch face. Then you end up with nothing recorded. I don't know whether Fitbit is going to fix it ever. Today it happened to me during cycling. Fortunately, I was maybe 2-3 minutes in so I restarted activity ( you know when it crashed as you can feel short vibration ). There was nothing mention in the firmware update post whether this issue has been addressed at all.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Jillyholli@BS3Rob@sfringer and @SunsetRunner thanks for your replies with all those information and for sharing your feedback regarding this situation. 

@BS3Rob, I confirmed you have already a case open with our customer support. The best in this situation is to continue the assistance with them, make sure to check inbox. For the rest of you I went ahead and created a case with customer support in your behalf they will contact you very soon. Cat Happy

@SunsetRunner, I'm sorry to hear that you still experiencing this situation with your Ionic. Please rest assured that we keep working to improve accuracy. I confirmed you have a case too, can you please clarify if you still need the support advise? 

In the meantime please keep in mind that you will have a best experience with your watch if all the requirements are in order, such as it is: 

• Wait for Ionic to find the signal before you start your workout.
  • The software on your phone is up to date.
  • Your Fitbit device's battery isn't critically low.

I' sorry that you feel disappointed I totally understand your frustration.

If you have any further questions, please keep me posted! Cat Very Happy

GraceG | French and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

On ne voit bien qu’avec le cœur. L’essentiel est invisible pour les yeux. ♥

Best Answer
0 Votes

Wish I read these pages before I bought this fitbit few 6 months ago.  Looks like the solution is to get a Garmin.  In my time trying to use the GPS while bike riding I have been able to only have 1 fully recorded ride.  Every other time, the tracking disappears and/or of 2.5hrs of tracking it runs out of battery after being fully charged.  I thought it was designed for 5+ hours. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GraceGFitbit I don't need advice as these are pointless and won't fix anything. I "solved" the problem by not tracking any more. I track using other devices and log manually until I will decide with which fitness tracker I should go as next. Let me know if Fitbit engineers would like to get an advice.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@dedamichael wrote:

Wish I read these pages before I bought this fitbit few 6 months ago.  Looks like the solution is to get a Garmin

This is the tragedy for me. In many (lesser) ways the Garmin is an inferior product - knowing I will shortly have to return my Ionic to Amazon, I just got a Garmin and was incredibly disappointed with it too.

The Ionic is now like a love/hate relationship for me - maybe even an abusive relationship - I'd almost be willing to put up with some pain (i.e. music sync times) of the Ionic not to have to settle for Gamin.

Compared to the Ionic, the Garmin screen is horrible, screen resolution is horrible, experience is Nokia c. 2001, GarminPay is fiddly, I hate the look of the watches, there's no real apps (just home-made junk).

And to cap it, on my first 10k run with it this morning the GPS was worse (more erratic) and less accurate even than Ionic. The rub, of course, being at least everything was stable and didn't crash at any point.

So yes, the Ionic is sadly a waste of time it has so many unfixed problems, but it's such a shame as the concept and experience has much promise for users somewhere between Apple Watch and Garmin.

I'm obviously lucky that I can still return the watch (less than 3 weeks from purchase) but I'm sad as it is a device I would keep in a heartbeat, if I had any confidence all these bugs could be solved quickly.

Some irony: Garmin recently released a firmware update that broke music controls on their watches, and so users have been without it for 4 weeks. I only found this out by looking at their support forum today.

So it's not just Fitbit which pushes out buggy, untested code, but IT IS Fitbit that seems (from what I can tell) to be most willing to let this device just die out quietly, rather than offering any plan to fix things.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The reason that I got this watch was to use the GPS function along with the HR so I can sync to strava and have all the other activity tracking features.  I don't care about the music and the other apps.  The screen and the aesthetics of the Ionic are truly next level

But the frustrating part of this, and from what I have read on the forums is, is that this issue has been going on for a year.  Surely they can fix this in this time.  All that people would like to do is track their activity as it was advertised.  I cant use fitbit pay as my bank is not part of it.  I think there are only 2 banks in Australia that are part of it but not too fused.

I think I would be right in saying that I would not mind wearing something hideous on my wrist as long it tracks an activity.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:

@GraceGFitbit I don't need advice as these are pointless and won't fix anything.

Co-sign!

Interestingly @GraceGFitbit's feedback to me in her same response was that I already have a case open with Fitbit customer support and to continue "assistance" with them.

For full disclosure to other users, let's talk about that "assistance", as it says a lot about efforts to solve these issues - they simply sent me a link to obtain a replacement Ionic.

The issues are clearly in all software/hardware (mine brand new, 2 weeks old). The only solution is going to come from new software or admission of inherent hardware weakness.

But you've all been at this for a year, there is no real urgency to address these faults and turn this into a functioning device. It's very revealing of Fitbit's future agenda for the Ionic.

I took the trouble to send a diary listing every run and every issue, and highlighting every combination of workarounds/changes I made to isolate faults. I was trying to be helpful.

I was hoping it would engage engineers to pinpoint issues once and for all. But when you show you've tried everything mentioned on this forum, Fitbit does not turn to engineers.

Instead they obviously know this will never be fixed, so they get you onto email and hope that offering a replacement will keep you quiet long enough to buy a future device half price.

As in my post above, I think the Ionic has the potential to be a great device. But between the support on this forum and the response to debug, Fitbit wants this device to go quietly. Smiley Sad

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @dedamichael, it's nice to see you joining the Fitbit Community! @SunsetRunner and @BS3Rob thanks for getting back to us with your feedback. Your comments are very important for us. 

@dedamichael, I created a support case on your behalf for further assistance with this. @SunsetRunner, I confirmed with support you have an open case, however I remarked you didn't answer their email, I advise you to reply them and continue the assistance. If you don't find the email you can check in your Spam emails. It's always good to check all possible options, our support team can check more details and according to the scenario, the warranty information too before to give any final resolution.

Thank you for your understanding and please rest assured, we will continue working to offer you the best experience with our products. 

If you have any further questions, please let me know. Have a nice weekend! Cat Happy

GraceG | French and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

On ne voit bien qu’avec le cœur. L’essentiel est invisible pour les yeux. ♥

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GraceGFitbit I read this email but first of all, it tells me to try to use Connected GPS ( Ionic doesn't support connected GPS ) and it mentions Versa all over the shop. Hello! I own Ionic, not Versa. The support doesn't even seem to know what products they are working with? Anyway, I'm not going to waste my energy on something that is a lost cause already.

Best Answer
0 Votes