Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic losing GPS connection during activity

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I've had my Ionic for a couple of weeks and have completed two runs so far.  Before I started each run I made sure the GPS status said "connected".  At some point during each run GPS lost connection and switched to "connecting" on the run activity screen.  During my second run I noticed this happened about 44 minutes into the run.  I ran another 14 minutes to finish and during that entire time the GPS status never said "connected" again.  By the way my Ionic has the latest FW, OS2.1.

I see lots of threads about GPS never connecting but I haven't seen this issue yet.  

Best Answer
89 REPLIES 89

Unfortunately, it seems like the complaining about this issue "in this forum" has reached a saturation point where it just doesn't matter to Fitbit anymore.

The only way to get traction is to contact media outlets that will write articles about these issues - potentially keeping away further $$ from being spent on these products, and forcing Fitbit to make public statements about what they're doing about it.

If their reputation is on the line, manufacturing defective products without adequate support or good customer experience, then no matter what new product they replace the Ionic or Versa with - nobody will put their $$ down due to lack of trust.

Send Tweets to your favorite running and technical magazines, websites, authors, reviewers, etc. Get the word out about your issues. Force them to respond publicly. Hit them in the wallet...it makes a big difference.

Best Answer

I have since had two emails from fitbit since I first posted on the forum so they were very quick with that.  However I got the same replies as I have seen others on the forums.  @SunsetRunner I got the make sure the GPS on the phone is on.  The whole point of the Fitbit Ionic was to leave the phone at home so I dont have to carry it around. 

The tipping point for me was last Sunday when I rode with my friend and he just bought a random GPS watch from ebay and luckily he had that as it recorded the whole ride including a long lunch break and did not miss a beat and was able to tag me to it on strava.  While my Ionic, returned to the clockface while I was doing a PB up a mountain, luckily i saw it and restarted it,  and then 1.5hrs later the watch ran out of battery.

Im not someone that goes on forums and complains but all I want is a watch that works as advertised which seems lot of other ppl as well want with the same issues.  I have spent $349 AUD to get this and all it does is look pretty.

@evillamaIt looks like it doesn't it.  I didnt realise how big of an issue this has been for all the fitbit people.  I have spent so much time scrolling through here finding the same issues as me and still they can't come up with a solution.  Its crazy.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner, @evillama and @dedamichael Thanks for stopping by guys and for taking your time to update this thread with your feedback. It's important for us to read what are you experiencing with your Ionic and with our Support Team.

I apologize for the troubleshooting that was mistakenly sent. If you want to try some troubleshoot please try the procedure suggested in this post. I passed your feedback to our Support Team. 

I understand the disappointment for this situation taking so long and I'll be around if you need anything else.

Have a nice weekend!

GraceG | French and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

On ne voit bien qu’avec le cœur. L’essentiel est invisible pour les yeux. ♥

Best Answer
0 Votes
Grace, the sympathetic ear is appreciated but we still have zero feedback from Fitbit where the issues stand and plan or timeline for a fix. A public statement needs to be made outside of this community forum so new buyers are made aware of these undeniable flaws. More and more issues listed these threads will see the same message - publicly accept the responsibility or face a serious loss in consumer trust. Why would anybody buy from Fitbit again if they see they're taking a risk with a potentially defective product?
Best Answer

@evillama wrote:
Grace, the sympathetic ear is appreciated but we still have zero feedback from Fitbit where the issues stand and plan or timeline for a fix. A public statement needs to be made outside of this community forum so new buyers are made aware of these undeniable flaws. More and more issues listed these threads will see the same message - publicly accept the responsibility or face a serious loss in consumer trust. Why would anybody buy from Fitbit again if they see they're taking a risk with a potentially defective product?

Great post. I've said similar on this thread. There actually seems to be a lot of goodwill here, certainly more than is warranted with these issues, but people just need some honest information and to have expectations set once and for all. I like the device and would have liked to persist with it if I knew that problems would be ironed out in software, but I cannot gamble on exceeding a retailer return policy if Fitbit fail to acknowledge publicly these issues and give a clear view of what it will take for them to be resolved. Because without those steps I have no confidence Fitbit aren't just low-balling the issue and hoping to hold onto customers as long as they can without having any possible solution in progress.

As you say, to also be selling to new customers without commenting on these issues is untrustworthy.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@BS3Rob @evillama Thanks for your reply, I hope you're doing well! Also, thanks for sharing your thoughts, opinions, and feedback on this thread.

Rest assured that once I have an update about this I will let you know. For the moment, I check with customer support and it seems you both have open cases with them. I'd recommend continuing to report this to them so you can get promptly updates about this too.

Thanks for your patience. Keep me posted! 

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer

I also have an open case with them but have given up.  I follow the thread and so far have not seen anything that has been helpful enough to keep reporting something.  I keep hoping for more than assurances that something is being done.  I will keep hoping.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner I hope you're doing well! Thanks for contacting customer support regarding this. Also, thanks for providing your feedback regarding this.

I'm sure something is being done with this. Keep in touch with customer support for updates regarding this. Feel free to share any on this thread.

Keep me posted!

Best Answer

@SantiR

How are you "sure something is being done with this"  Has it been explicitly communicated to you by Fitbit Engineering or are you just making the assumption. 

If it is just an assumption I think that is a bad one since this has been going on since the product launched over a year ago and nothing has been done.  When one of the most basic functions of the Ionic doesn't work properly and it isn't fixed over a year later that doesn't seem to indicate "something is being done with this" unless that "something" is ignoring the problem.

If it has been communicated to you by Fitbit engineering please share that information so we know this issue is actively being worked on.  Please include when it was communicated to you and when they expect it to be resolved.

Ionic, Pixel 2 XL
Best Answer
0 Votes
I've ran my bucket list marathon and now don't see much more use of this device while it has issues. Not many new apps being developed, and really useful ones have issues (look up United Airlines app issues on the Fitbit). Without adequate support or good Customer Service, I'd find it hard to recommend Fitbit to anyone shopping for a new device (esp this holiday season). Say this in the running forums, magazine articles, email reviewers...again, hit them in the wallet until they shape up. I'm looking at the Galaxy watch now...may have to make the switch.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Hebrews12-1 I hope you're doing well. Thanks for  for sharing your input here.

That is information that customer support should be able to extend to you. I don't really have that much information for you.

I went ahead and contacted you via PM. Keep an eye on your Community inbox. Thanks.

@evillama Thanks for sharing your feedback on this thread.

See you around! 

Best Answer

Hi

Long time no see.

The reason I have not posted for a while was because I received a new Ionic after a series of troubles, including GPS issue we discuss here, continuously resetting, the display's sudden black out, in the end I could not charge anymore then my previous one passed away quietly...RIP.  The new one did not have an issue for a while.

I can also like to share that I have no complaint to the replacement process which was very very efficient and took just 3-4 days to receive the new device.

But. my new boy start having the same problem after 3-4 months of usage. Not every time, but it starts missing GPS signal, say once a week. Anyway I have to go back to my old Garmin for outdoor running.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have given up on Fitbit GPS (and music transfer) It's terribly inaccurate. See the two screenshots of same laps done on two days. I have advised everyone who asked me about my Ionic to stay away from it.Completely haphazardCompletely haphazard

Somewhat okSomewhat ok

Best Answer
0 Votes

When I go on my mountain bike I go through trees and don't have e problem with the GPS. Today how ever I changed the route slightly to use a trunk road no trees no buildings open clear sky and it stopped mid ride. I looked at the data it shows the first half then stopped when I was on top of a hill as though I had stopped it at the end of the ride  !! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:

I am also wondering how to fix this connectivity problem.  I have reset the Ionic.  I have called support and the issue is of course the weather, the buildings, the trees.  However, it used to connect. And, my phone connects without a problem so I don't think those things are the issue.  Also my route is primarily in a residential area and there are no tall buildings, the sky is clear, and the trees are sparse.  It does not connect with either walking or hiking.

When I go on my mountain bike I go through trees and don't have e problem with the GPS. Today how ever I changed the route slightly to use a trunk road no trees no buildings open clear sky and it stopped mid ride. I looked at the data it shows the first half then stopped when I was on top of a hill as though I had stopped it at the end of the ride  !! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

It is unbelievable that there is company (Fitbit) with a product of 300$ (Ionic), which is totally useless as it does not do the basics (gps tracking during run exercise!) and this company has not identified the issue and provide a fix, yet!!

Just to add also my experience:

The GPS loses connection at the middle of my runs and searching for signal until the end of my exercise.

If I start a new exercise, the GPS is connected right away!

Always under clear sky.

Best Answer

I am losing GPS connectivity about 1.5 miles into 3 mile runs. It did not used to be a problem (running since feb/march), and I'm running the same route on open streets. Any updates from those of you who have been trying to get this figured out?

Best Answer
0 Votes
No resolution but as far as a bandaid a factory reset greatly reduced how
often it happens. I'm assuming it will probably get worse again over time.
Ionic, Pixel 2 XL
Best Answer
0 Votes

I've been exercising inside all winter so I've not had any GPS issues in a while.  However, now that it is warming up and I've started running outside again I've had my first failure of the year.  

6/22 - GPS dropped out at about mile 6.5 of an 8 mile run and never recovered

Ionic, Pixel 2 XL
Best Answer

I've just purchased the Ionic and after a few days encountered those issues with GPS. It looks like the watch loses the GPS tracking after certain amount of time, like 40 mins, and never reconnect. But if I stop there and switch off and on the activity it catches the signal within10-20 seconds. Hasn't Fotbit solved the issue? I can't believe it, for more then a year or even two.

Best Answer
0 Votes