Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic losing connection to phone constantly

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

So I have a very short time frame of experience with the Ionic - 24 hours.  It has been a painful time with the Ionic not staying connected to my phone (Pixel XL running 8.0).  But during the past 24 hours I have had to restart or repair the ionic numerous times in order to get the watch to sync only to have it stop syncing within an hour or so.  I have reached out to support a couple of times and each time they have given me steps to get it connected - BUT that is not sustainable to do daily.

I cannot be the only one with this problem.  A quick search showed some steps to fix it which only work less than half of the time. 

I am trying to figure out at this time if it is software or hardware problems.....  I really like the watch and want to get mine working with no problems.  I had been using a One and there was never any issues with sync or connections to my phone.

Honestly not sure what I am expecting to get from this post - maybe someone else had the same issues that they fixed?

Best Answer
123 REPLIES 123

Hi @jrobbins - I haven't read about any significant bluetooth issues with the Ionic. Can you please let us know what troubleshooting you have done? When your tracker is connected, is it syncing properly?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have similar issues where my Ionic will not sync to my Pixel while on the go.  The only way to get the sync to function is either sync through my laptop or to put the ionic on the charger and wait for the autosync to happen.  I have in general had a terrible syncing experience with the ionic but am holding out for them to fix.  

Best Answer

I posted the same thing basically, about 2 weeks ago. Since getting my Ionic I have found that even though I have all day sync selected, the Ionic will disconnect and not sync with my phone (Galaxy S7) frequently. I'm awaiting a firmware update to correct it, but Fitbit seems slow to get this issue resolved. My Alta NEVER had a sync issue once...just this morning I checked my sync because I noticed I wasn't getting my text alerts on my Ionic, and indeed it had last synced at 2:50am while I was sleeping and not ONCE since I awoke...and it was 9:30 and I was at work. I had ZERO steps for the day and I had to reboot the phone to get the Ionic to sync again. Typically I have to turn off and on the bluetooth, or restart the phone, to get my sync to happen. Otherwise Ionic will keep a red icon on the sync and report it cannot connect....even though I know bluetooth is working on the phone because my headset will connect just fine.

Best Answer

So the things that support had me do:

-reinstall Fitbit app 

-remove all other BT devices from the phone (something about some kind of BT block, never heard of this before)

-replace the Ionic within the Fitbit app

-restart the Ionic

Right now the tracker has been connected for about 15 hours with no problems syncing - this is the longest stretch yet.  

Last night I tried to set BT Classic up to control Google Play Music, but nothing even though BT says connected.  I have to say I expected some software kinks, but nothing with sync as my One sync'd with no problems at all

Best Answer
0 Votes

If they told me to remove all other Bluetooth devices I would tell them to go stuff it.

The whole point is that I can wear my headphones and listen to music while running and the Fitbit stays connected. The Alta never had this issue. I don't know what they did differently with the Ionic Bluetooth from the other devices, but they better resolve it because they are getting a bunch of bad reviews over the connectivity.

Best Answer

I am re-adding the things I also had connected.  I think it was done to make sure that the Ionic had nothing else interfering with it.  Honestly it kinda ticked me off, but I like the watch enough to try most things to make it work correctly.

Best Answer
0 Votes

And it now seem as it the Ionic will not sync in the background.  The few times I have opened up the app today I have the red ! next to sync.

Best Answer

That's exactly what happens to me...not all the time, but about once every 3 days.

Best Answer

We have a few threads so far stating that the fitbit engineers have found the source of the issue and are working to release a fix.  I just hope they get the fix released before my return period.

Best Answer

I'm running a Google Pixel.

Works OK for me if I disable all day sync and disable always connected.

Best Answer

Well the point is I WANT all day sync enabled and I also want ALWAYS CONNECTED turned on, because I use the alerts.

Best Answer

@JASpillane wrote:

Well the point is I WANT all day sync enabled and I also want ALWAYS CONNECTED turned on, because I use the alerts.

You would think that wouldn't you?

However that's the most reliable configuration I've found. And guess what? The alerts work just fine (and immediately) with this configuration. Bonus ... Your battery does not drain so much.

Best Answer

I'll try that tomorrow. Not a fan of having to open the app to sync though. Or are you saying it still sounds just fine with your settings?

And someone mentioned that Fitbit found a big, where are these posts?  I could find any acknowledgement posts. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@jrobbins wrote:

I'll try that tomorrow. Not a fan of having to open the app to sync though. Or are you saying it still sounds just fine with your settings?

And someone mentioned that Fitbit found a big, where are these posts?  I could find any acknowledgement posts. 

Lordy. Just try it.

You're welcome.

Best Answer

Might work for you, but no difference for me. Still doesn't stay connected and sync without futzing around with everything. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Add me to the list of people having intermittent dropouts with my Ionic. Funnily enough, this is also on a Pixel. A little frustrating on a brand new device. 

Love that the app keeps asking me to restart Bluetooth like it's the problem. Have a motorbike intercom/Bluetooth headset that will run for hours on a long ride with no issue. Pebble that I stopped wearing to start wearing the Ionic... Also never a problem. It is definitely not the phone.

Fitbit Ionic on Google Pixel - Always up to date
Best Answer

I have the same experience as others in here. Done the facorty reset 5-6 times last two days and the whole setup process after is a disaster. Failing, losing connection, not able to connect and so on. Tried different WIFI setups and different encryption, WEP,WPA,WPA2 but didn't seem to make a difference. All on 2.4GHz network. 2017???

Yesterday i somehow managed to get through setup and firmware upgrading but the apps did not install and i had no clockface. Went to sleep. 

This morning i connected the watch to the charger with the phone next to it and got it to install a clockface and the apps, but not without numerous errror messages saying no connection and so on. 

Been using the watch a couple of hours now and the sync is unstable at best. Red ! on the app constantly. 

I'm using a Nexus 6P on Android 8 Oreo but also tried on a Huawei Honor 6 with Android 6. This cant be an issue with the phone. Just hope its something that can be fixed in firmware and without returning for a new watch.

Ionic, sometimes connected to Nexus 6P running Android 8.0
Best Answer

Fitbits simple trackers sync just fine, but their more advanced trackers have always had syncing issues, and the Ionic is no exception. I suspect the mobile apps are as big a part of the problem as the device coding. 

If Fitbit could get their devices to smoothly and reliably sync and transfer music (plus some quality control) they would be back on top again. 

They need to hire some top gun coders 😉

Best Answer

I have a similar issue.  I received my Ionic on Monday evening.  I pair with my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (SM-G935T) running Android 7.0 (kernel 3.18.31 - 12142063).  My bluetooth connection drops continually throughout the day.  When I check my Ionic settings when I noticed it has dropped, I see that Bluetooth Classic has reset to "Off".  If I then set it to "Pair" I can reconnect via the bluetooth dialog on my phone.  Within ten minutes, the connection has dropped again (and I can see Bluetooth Classic is again reset to "Off").

I have restarted my Ionic, my phone, my bluetooth on my phone.  I have not reinstalled the applications nor have I removed all of the various bluetooth devices from my phone (quite inconvenient to have to re-add them so I'm hoping this isn't the actual solution).

Suggestions?

Best Answer