Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic no longer working, with black screen

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Looks like I've suffered the same fate my husband's Ionic did - was working and charging fine when I went to bed and in the morning, nothing. Tried all the solutions outlined in this forum but to no avail. Very sad as I loved my Ionic and now it's no longer. Any ideas on how it can be fixed?

Best Answer
54 REPLIES 54

Hi SilviaFitbit, 

I was in Spain on Friday 11th October 2019 when my IONIC just stopped working. The screen just went black and nothing happening with lights on back. I knew the battery had charge in it but I put it on charge again to see if that fixed it but no change.

I am now home from my trip and have found this site, so tried to do the reset but nothing happening.

My watch is not being picked up when I try to sync, not found.

Help please.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just Like everyone else on this post my ionic died whilst wearing it overnight after that wonderful update. 

I tried restarting it. I also left it for three-four days to let the battery drain.  Then charged it overnight.  Tried all suggestions of various button pressing.  Restarting and attempts via the app also.  Nothing has worked. I am now using an old surge that I had to buy a 3rd party strap for as fitbit don’t stock such a thing.  It’s clunky and old. But hopefully will last until Xmas.  When I will treat myself to an Apple Watch as my brother in law has had his longer than I’ve had 3 different fitbit. Even though I’ve upgraded each time. 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the same problem. My battery was at 48% and the next time I went to check the time, it had shut off and will not restart. I've gone through all the solutions from verifying the charger, etc. to trying the restarts, as well as chatted with a representative on the Help feature to no avail. All they care to do is offer 20% off and expect you to buy a new device, even though mine was fine and completely functional until this update. 

Best Answer
I had heard even people with brand new ones are having the trouble. I am looking into other smart watches. I expect this to work much much longer!
Best Answer

My ionic also just died tonight. I have tried all possible actions on reseting it, but nothing works. 

Seem like general error. Any help available?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same thing happened to me for the second time. I think I'm done with Fitbit. I'm on my 3rd fitbit and none of them made it to the 2 year mark. I cant keep spending money on a product that keeps breaking. 

My Ionic just died, they offered me %25 off another watch. Why would anyone spend hundreds of dollars on a product that doesnt last. I've always babied my fitbits but they still break. 

I would strongly suggest to go with another product that's built better.

Frank Martire

Best Answer
Some people have been offered a replacement. Others have been offered a replacement with a 20% discount. Whilst some of us, have been offered nothing, not even a suitable fix!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

I received my Ionic as a gift the previous Christmas and have largely enjoyed my first smart watch. The problem started a few weeks ago when it went from needing charged every 4-5 days to all of a sudden not even lasting 24 hours before it died. This continued for a few days until it completely died. Before this happened I carried out a factory reset with no luck, I don't go swimming, it is always removed before bath/shower and points are kept clean. The height of abuse it gets is when I walk the dogs. I've chatted online with customer services today and have been emailed some instructions which have not made any difference. I will contact customer support again tomorrow to get this resolved. I'm hoping with it being within 12 months and I'm in the UK they will replace it quickly under warranty.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi folks, looks like my fitbit is also suffering from the same fate as well. It no longer powers on.

Troubleshooting steps. 
I have tried a variety of troubleshooting steps to try power on the device, including:
  • I tried 3 desktop computer USBs, a charging brick, 2 different cables, to charge this device for more than 30 minutes. Actually 8 hours in some of my testing.
  • Trying to factory reset using the buttons. That is: - When the Fitbit logo appears, then disappears, release the bottom right button, then continue holding the left and top right buttons until you feel a strong vibration. This indicates the factory reset was initiated. No response from device
  • This process may take several seconds, and eventually, the Fitbit logo appears and the device boots and displays go to Fitbit.com/setup. 
    If you fail to release the bottom right button in time, or otherwise don't follow the procedure precisely, the Fitbit logo reappears quickly and boots without factory reset.
    On the watch, hold all three buttons for about twelve seconds. This triggers the 2-button hardware reboot after about eight seconds.

I have also followed these steps:
Why isn't my Fitbit device's battery charging?
help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1190/?l=en_US&c=Topics%3ABattery&cu=1&fs=ContactUs&pn=1  

and 
How do I restart my Fitbit device?
help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1186 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’ve attempted a restart as well with no luck. App says 100% charged but screen has been black since Sunday. I’ve had it on the charger that long, too.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Ionic also went black while at half charge. I just learned that this is a widespread and ongoing issue. When I called Fitbit support back on 9/29 the rep acted as if I had created the issue and failed to acknowledge that the company was aware of the issue. Worst customer service and company response I've experienced with a tech purchase.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Sorry to hear that, I contacted Fitbit through the online chat and then
subsequent correspondence by email. I found them to reply promptly,
extremely courteous and ultimately a replacement Ionic was dispatched
without wanting the faulty unit back. I have had mine for 10 months so it
was still within the 2 year warranty period. Overall I was very happy with
the service provided.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I contacted Fitbit through the online chat and then subsequent
correspondence by email. I found them to reply promptly, extremely
courteous and ultimately a replacement Ionic was dispatched without wanting
the faulty unit back. I have had mine for 10 months so it was still within
the 2 year warranty period. Overall I was very happy with the service
provided.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for this! I called them as well and unfortunately my device is outside of its warranty (purchased in Nov 2017) but you're absolutely correct that they were prompt and friendly. I'm glad I called, even though it didn't fix my device.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SilviaFitbit  Thanks, support was not able to help me. I was offered a coupon towards the purchase of a new one. I won't be purchasing a new one as the current one was fine until Fitbit update broke it. Currently looking at other watch options...

Best Answer

my ionic is also black like others

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I am having the same problem with my Ionic, have tried charging and restarting, but still have a blank screen. The app says the battery is full. The Ionic was only purchased in June.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi, I took the matter up with Fitbit using their online chat facility and after some checks etc they sent me a replacement. Contact customer service if you haven't already done so. Good LuckSent from Samsung tablet.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I contacted Fitbit through the online chat and then subsequent
correspondence by email. I found them to reply promptly, extremely
courteous and ultimately a replacement Ionic was dispatched without wanting
the faulty unit back. I have had mine for 10 months so it was still within
the 2 year warranty period. Overall I was very happy with the service
provided.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am now experiencing the "Ionic no longer working, with black screen" problem.  Can you please advise on next steps?  Thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes