Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic no longer working, with black screen

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Looks like I've suffered the same fate my husband's Ionic did - was working and charging fine when I went to bed and in the morning, nothing. Tried all the solutions outlined in this forum but to no avail. Very sad as I loved my Ionic and now it's no longer. Any ideas on how it can be fixed?

Best Answer
54 REPLIES 54
Hello, in the end my Ionic was beyond help and I received a replacement
from Fitbit as I was still under warranty, I have had it for approx 10
months before it happened.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Good to hear! I got a replacement too and found the online chat customer service very helpful.Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same problem: I see the green light lit, device connected to phone, Wi-Fi, charged, with screen protector, no scratches. Tried to restart according to instruction -  but still BLACK SCREEN. Nothing else. Device for more than $300. What should I do with this?

Just throw it in the trash?!!!

Best Answer
I tossed mine in the trash and replaced it with an Apple watch. Fitbit
continued to offer a small discount toward a new product, but I'm done with
a company that bricks their new model items.
Best Answer

To all community!

I used fitbit devices for a long time, about 4-5 years: we had 2 Charges HR and one Ionic watch. We used all this stuff very accuratelly. All three devices stoped to work.
The last one Ionic watch after 1.5 years of usage turned into unnecessary decoration: watch works, connected, but the display does not work - BLACK, it happened suddenly for no reason.

After communication with Fitbit support team I was offered a discount on a new purchase!

Did no ever offer to fix this unsuccessful and expensive device!

I bought 3 Fitbit devices, and this is definitely my last purchase. I am extremely disappointed.

Want to share my experience with all community.

I definetly goes to another choice, Garmin, for example.

Best Answer

My Ionic crash to black screen yesterday did everything; this was my second Ionic watch after the the first had problems (I had it replaced under warranty). This second watch doesn't have warranty; I am fed up and don't want to buy a third Ionic watch. I am going with Garmin now. I am sad I will loose all my data in fitbit; buts its the price I am willing to pay to avoid another mess up 😞

Best Answer

I too am rather concerned with the longevity of Fitbit devices, when I bough a Surge, I had to replace it not once (under warranty), not twice (also under warranty), but three times (they cut me a deal so I didn't pay full price), and then there is my Ionic, it too has needed to be replaced due to the black screen issue (although in the case of mine, it lost color in stages until it went from full color/brightness to full black over the course of two weeks.

When I was having so many issues with my Surge, I seriously contemplated switching to Garmin and got on their chat forum which is in many ways identical to this one.  What I discovered was, A) many of the operational/functional complaints Fitbit users have are shared by Garmin users (and many were saying they were going to defect to Fitbit), and B) their trackers also have longevity issues.  With this in mind, I then purchased my first Ionic shortly after it was released.  While my Ionic experience has been a thousand times more fulfilling than my time with the Surge, it too can be a bit confounding on occasion (like when the screen died and I needed to buy a new one out of warranty).

Long story short, switching to Garmin may or may not be as satisfactory as folks considering the switch may hope.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Have received no additional help from fitbit--had alta, charge 2, ionic---not interested in putting out a large amount of money again. Surprised that there is not a "basic" version that will work for an extended period of time. New "improved" versions have not improved longevity. Will continue to monitor looking for a viable alternative.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, Silvia! My Ionic just died after using 2 months. Black screen and charge doesn't work! As I can see the same issue has a lot of people.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi to all community! 

I left my saga with Fitbeat after 3 Charges and the last Ionic. Left on the shelf as a memory of bad experience. I bought Garmin and am enjoying it now! Good luck to All!

Best Answer
0 Votes

hi... i also has a same issue, restart process is not working

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Fitbit Community, @simranjeetbaasi.

Thank you for joining the thread and sharing that you're experiencing the same issue with your watch. I appreciate your troubleshooting efforts. I noticed that you already have a case with our Support team, please continue working with them. I know they will be glad to help you out and provide a solution.

See you around.

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry, but this is not the 'best answer'. The best answer would be one which answered the problem, not repeating 'restart your device', which does not work for this common problem. 

Marking these questions 'resolved' is good for customer support resolution KPIs but not real customer problems

Best Answer
0 Votes

Best answer, search for ionic screen replacement, order one, remove old screen, put new one on, or go to a phone shop they can swap it out, the screen replacement is less that $30. Problem solved.

Fitbit Ionic 72.1.15 (recalled) and Fitbit Sense 128.6.17
Best Answer
0 Votes
Accorging to screen replacement mentioned above: did someone et such repalacement, why support not suggest this solution, but only to buy a new item? Sent from my Galaxy
Best Answer
0 Votes