Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic not charging after recent firmware update

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I updated my Iconic firmware within the past week and was on a full battery at the time. Last night I tried to charge it and there was no reaction from either of my two cables nor any USB charge adapter, all of which were tested to work fine with other devices. I left it plugged in for about three hours last night and it did nothing but the usual battery drain. I tried again today and had no further luck, so I reset the device with holding down the left button + lower right button for 10 seconds and then it wouldn't boot and only showed a 0% battery icon. No response when plugged in, so this one is dead now.

I talked to support and they were unable to help and said that they will be emailing me about my warranty options. So if you are finding similar issues since the most recent update, please post here and let support know because they need to know that this update is making some of their devices fail.

Moderator edit: subject for clarity 

Best Answer
1 REPLY 1

@joeflynn support already know about the firmware update bricking a lot of Ionics and Versas, they have the same OS.

Support are only using the, not particularly owner friendly, warranty options.  In some cases they might get a replacement, probably a refurbished item, or out of warranty they're offering a discount to buy another, newer model of fitbit.  This is after they encourage you spend an amount of time  performing various steps to try and fix the unfixable issue.

This doesn't sit too well with a lot of people who think Fitbit should not have rolled out this damaging update.  It has been suggested that Fitbit should release the previous version to try and unbrick people's property, but there has been no indication if this is even possible from Fitbit.

There has been suggestions about releasing a new firmware update that can sort this out, but again, no response from Fitbit.

Considering that the warranty and terms of use specifically say that Fitbit is not responsible for software or hardware that damages your device, even their own software, we do have the choice not to use fitbits updates.

I haven't updated my Ionic and the so called 'bugs and fixes' that the update is apparently supposed to fix, are non existent.

Pretty sure they're not so excited about this update and the terrible responses from really really let down owners of Ionics and Versas.

Best Answer