Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic not tracking active minutes and floors

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I decided to use my Ionic after I put the Versa away, but I am finding out that it was a BIG mistake.  The Ionic is NOT registering my active minutes, calories and floors.  From 10:00 am - 8:00 pm, I make it a point to move and generate in excess of 250 steps and most of the hourly movement(s) are not shown.  The version on my Ionic is:  27.32.10.20.  If this is NOT the current version, please advise how to update the software.  I look forward to finding a solution to these problems.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

Hey there @SassyOne23, thanks for stopping by!  Sorry to hear that your Ionic is not tracking your data accurately. 

I'd like you to double check that there are no manually logged activities that could be deleting the active minutes, calories, and floors that you previously had. Typically, your data will be recalculated if you manually log an activity as the manually logged activity takes precedence over the data tracked while wearing your tracker at that point in time. For example, if I am wearing my tracker and walking and I reach 10,000 steps, then I go to the computer and manually log an activity that starts and ends at that point in time for say 1 hour, Fitbit will calculate how many steps you took and it may bring my step count to something below 10,000 steps. To clarify, activities should only be manually logged when you forget to wear your Fitbit.

You earn active minutes for activities at or above about 3 METs.  Minutes are only awarded after 10 minutes of continuous moderate-to-intense activity. You can view the CDC’s recommendations on the CDC website

If the same activity gives you active minutes one day and fewer active minutes the next day, remember that the intensity of exercise is key. Often what seems like the exact same amount of effort over the same distance in fact differs slightly enough to change your active minutes total.

Essentially active minutes are a measurement of time spent doing activity that is more intense than regular walking. 

As you may know my friend, Fitbit trackers that count floors have an altimeter sensor that can detect when you're going up or down in elevation. Your tracker registers one floor when you climb about ten feet at one time. It does not register floors when you go down. So I would like to take that into consideration at the moment to verify the amount of floors that your Fitbit has tracked. 

10 feet is an average between residential and commercial floor heights. If the floors you're climbing are shorter than 10 feet, you may find that the Fitbit tracker's floor count doesn't exactly match how many floors you've gone up. For example, if you climb 3 floors that are 8 feet tall (for a total gain of 24 feet), then the Fitbit tracker might only tell you 2 floors because it assumes that each floor is 10 feet tall and this is what happens to my at my granny's home. Woman Sad

Another cause of inaccurate floors is moisture. Have you checked that already? For example, the pathway to the altimeter on the back of your tracker can become clogged temporarily with sweat. 

The current OS for Ionic is 27.32.12.19, to update your tracker see: How do I update my Fitbit device?

I'd try restarting the Ionic just to refresh it internally. You can find the steps by clicking here

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes