Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic not working after swim

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

After having a swim with my Ionic on it is now not responding.  This started with it initially not charging then after trying a reset it won’t come on.  There also appears to be condensation on one of the sensors (thought these were waterproof).  Looks like I need a new watch, it wont be a Fitbit that’s for sure.  Less than 7 months old and not working, very poor!

Moderator edit: Format

Best Answer
77 REPLIES 77

This is my ionic after Swim 🙂 Support does not help and moderators here on the community keep deleting my post (perhaps being defensive so less people are aware of such issues). 

They are also not helping me. They say i would get a replacement since I am under warranty but it has been more than two weeks since my replacement order was placed and nothing is happening.

IMG_20190607_160607.jpg

@pax76 wrote:

used my iconic in the pool no problem when to the beach ...done... **ahem** does not work.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Worst customer service ever I broke two watches within a year my first replacement took well over two weeks. The product is junk customer service is a joke and the moderators on this page try and censor any comment that doesn’t agree with their agenda

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Took my ionic for a swim for the first time today.   It’s working ok now but I couldn’t pause/stop the exercise after I got out of pool and also lost Wi-Fi connectivity.  After rebooting watch and iPhone, iconic synced again and is back to normal, with about a 4 hour swim credit!   Never again will I take it in pool.

Best Answer

I had the same experience. I bought my icon more than a year ago and it was very good for 3 months. However, after I swam with the watch on my wrist, it stopped working immediately not on at all.  I went back to JB Hifi and they advised me to contact Fitbit directly.  My finding is similar to the others in this forum - no Fitbit center and no customer service number to call either.  I pretty much wrtie off my $400 investment that lasted 3 months. I am more than disappointed about Fitbit for lack of support and customer services.  Consumers bought the watch and expect excellent quality.  We spent so much time to find a Fitbit repair center that is not existed (at least up to now).  Unless Fitbit can provide customer service and a repair solution, I will not buy another one and will explore to buy either Apple or Samsung watch. If anyone has a solution, please let me know. Thanks.

Best Answer

same problem. Fitbit just tried to sell me a new one for more than in stores. Is there any method for drying Ionic watches? Tried rice.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I received a replacement. My other one never came back to life. How long have you had yours I’d had mine just over a year but the warrant is 2 years in the EEA.

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
I managed to get mine working again by rebooting and other random measures, but the watch flat died a few months later. It was out of warranty and Fitbit offers no repair options that I could find. I now have a Charge 3 and it works fine in the water...so far. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
after 4 replacements I gave up. It's not fit for purpose imho for swimming
in the ocean. Garmin for me now.
Best Answer

have had 2 fail now, will never buy another fitbit product they clearly have manufacturing quality control issues with these devices that should have been completely ironed out by now.

Best Answer

My FiBit Ionic is only a two weeks old. I had issues with not being able to update the firmware so am being sent a replacement next week. Thank you!  

While waiting for my replacement I decided to continue to use my original FitBit. I went snorkeling in the ocean swimming at the surface the whole time. My FitBit died on me and the sensors are all full of condensation. I tried drying it and then charging it, hoping to revive it. After one hour of charging, the FitBit was so hot to the touch I decided to take it off the charger. It still won’t turn on and is probably “toast”. 

My question is, should I not swim in the ocean or pool with my new replacement Ionic?  Or if the new one stops working after doing so will I continue to be able to get replacements?  I am hesitant to expose it to water after my experience. 

Best Answer
Wouldn't use one in the water again. Check the boards the amount of
failures after first time use in a pool is scary.

I have bought some b-7000 glue to try and replace the seals as I can't
afford to ditch a decide costing over £300 but will never spend another
penny with fitbit
Best Answer
Thank you for your input. I will take your advice and not swim with it again. 😞

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine did the same thing. And I wasn't swimming just took a dunk while hiking so I immediately took the Fitbit off and dried it.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I hope yours us ok.  Mine never came back to life.  But I did receive a replacement as it was under warranty

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you for asking.

My Ionic never did come back to life after my swim, but this Ionic was the defective one as the GPS function never worked nor would it update the firmware. It was covered under warranty and replaced. 🙂

I did receive a replacement Ionic due to to my first issue and will not expose my new one to water. 😞

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I know-how you feel Because I paid $415 for my Ionic and now im out of warranty. Fitbit won't even help me with the issue, they won't replace the defected ionic.I feel like a very dissatisfied customer and will be bringing this to the attention of some well known bloggers online.

Best Answer
0 Votes
FitBit to me clearly know they have quality issues but couldn't care less.
I am done with there products and will never but another.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Sorry to hear that your Ionic failed. That model clearly has a quality control problem. Fitbit is negligent in not providing repair services or at least a customer hotline. Most companies realize that it is in their best interest to not only stay in touch with their customers but to have very generous return/replacement polices. FYI I am now using a Versa 3 (a gift). It’s not as sexy but it works fine in the water. Best regards.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Same here

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m working through the same problem. Quick swim in the ocean 7 days ago and I have not steps or BPM measurement happening. So must be the sensors.

Best Answer
0 Votes