Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic only syncs completely with Fitbit app when connected to WIFI

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi ,

Syncing my Ionic with the app only fully completes syncing (on adroid) when connected to WIFI. 

Without WIFI it will not sync.  It starts the sync , updates steps (after long time)  and than just hangs.

If have turned off all day sync and only immediate sync after an exercise (not waiting until I am home and have wifi again)

this is not as it is supposed to work. 

Bluetooth works , wifi is on , but not connected.  Android version 8.0.0

Can't tell if this has ever worked correctly or only after last firmware update.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

fitbit_sync2.jpg

Hi, I just found the setting causing this issue.   There is another setting under data usage-mobile date-> app data usage: dataUsage disabled.

This was ON.   After turning it off the syncing works without WIFI.

I might have set this in the past. (can't remember). just did not realize that this also blocks bluetooth data.  anyhow . It is working now.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
9 REPLIES 9

Hey there @Saltheo1, it's nice to see you around the forums! Hmmm... this is very strange my friend, you should be able to sync either using your cell data or Wi-Fi. 

Syncing difficulty is usually caused by a missing requirement. Let's vrify each requirement before moving on to the troubleshooting steps.

Depending your Android device, these tips might make syncing easier:

• Turn on the Always Connected option in the Fitbit app. This setting improves the Bluetooth connection between your phone and Fitbit device. Note that turning on this feature may cause the battery on your Fitbit device to drain more quickly than normal.
  • Turn on All-Day Sync in the Fitbit app. This setting prompts your Fitbit device to periodically sync with the Fitbit app but may shorten battery life on your phone or Fitbit device.

If your Fitbit device still won't sync, try these steps:

1. Force quit and then reopen the Fitbit app.
  2. Go to Settings > Bluetooth and turn Bluetooth off and back on.
  3. Open the Fitbit app.
  4. If your Fitbit device didn't sync, restart it.
  5. Uninstall and reinstall the Fitbit app.
  6. If your Fitbit device won't sync after you reinstall the app, log in to your Fitbit account on a different phone, tablet, or computer and try to sync. 
  7. If your Fitbit device still doesn’t sync, remove all other Fitbit devices from your account and try to sync.

PS: Please try these troubleshooting steps using your cell data instead of Wi-Fi. When using cell data, the sync process takes a little bit longer than when using Wi-Fi, so please be aware of this. However, you should be able to sync with your cell data.

Give this a go and let me know how it goes! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

fitbit_sync.jpg

Hi checked all.  Nothing to change. All latest versions installed.

Sync only updates step counter . but no exercises until connected to wifi.

I hangs in above state ( see picture). no ohter bluetooth connections

also tested with settings : always connected on, and all day sync on ; normally I have these off.

did not change .

Best Answer
0 Votes

same here, but with iPhone 7, iOS 11.3

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for getting back and for providing me a picture of what you're getting @Saltheo1Hmmm... it seems that your tracker and Fitbit app are getting stuck. Have you been getting the "Your sync has been scheduled and start soon" message since you noticed the difficulty to sync over your cell data? If so, I believe that your tracker is not syncing because there is an issue with the Bluetooth connection.

I'd recommend doing the following once more:

• Uninstall your Fitbit app
  • Remove your Fitbit Ionic from your phone's Bluetooth settings
  • Turn off your Bluetooth 
  • Shut down your phone
  • Turn on your phone
  • Reinstall your Fitbit app 
  • Turn on Bluetooth
  • Pair your Fitbit Ionic again
  • Sync 

Let me know if these steps work. Smiley Very Happy

Thanks for jumping in here @Lopemon! By any chance, are you getting the same message than @Saltheo1

Have you tried any troubleshooting steps so far? If not yet, I'd recommend attempting the ones I've shared here

If you're getting the message showed in the screen shot above, I'd recommend the steps I shared to my friend @LopemonSmiley Wink

Hope to hear good news guys! 

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

hi Maria

thanks for responding on this.

I'm also in a support case (#24301088 ) talking about the bluetooth sync problem. here's my latest report:

I‘m sorry to tell that the bluetooth sync is still not working as it should.

here is what I did yesterday:
(the iPhone and the Ionic are both fully charged and plugged to the charger, sitting next to the airport extreme wifi base)

on the iPhone 7 (iOS 11.3):
-removed MobileTrack in the fitbit app.
-removed this Ionic in the fitbit app.
-log out on the fitbit app.
-erased the fitbit app from the iPhone.
-forget the device in the iOS bluetooth settings and removed all other devices such as my headphone and speaker
-reset network settings in the settings app of iphone.
-shut down my iphone

on the Ionic (bought it octobre 2017):
-reset Ionic (2 button press)
-after reboot: forced factory reset (3 button press/ strong vibration
-Ionic shows set-up screen and is waiting for set-up

on the iPhone:
-start-up iPhone
-added back my wifi connection (because of network settings reset)
-turned bluetooth off and then on
-download the fitbit app
-login to my fitbit account
-added MobileTrack in the fitbit app
-set up a device in the fitbit app
-choosed Ionic from the selection
-paired the Ionic with the 4 digits number
-setup the wifi connection to the Ionic
-downloading and installing the tracker os with success (took about 30 minutes)
-Ionic is connected and syncing

not much later and since then when wearing the Ionic on non-dominant wrist my Ionic did not sync over bluetooth. that is the same behavior I see after any repairing and re-setups since weeks now.

when watching the bluetooth sync-process bar it always get stuck somewhere in the beginning or at best in the middle. I also tried out toggle All-Day Sync on/off and turned on/off notifications. note: notifications to the watch are working fine. eventually when checking the bluetooth settings on iOS the settings app freezes. it looks like the bluetooth connection between those two devices is crippled and is generating a „stack overflow“...

it’s a bluetooth issue between the Ionic and the phone. note: bluetooth connections of headphones and speaker are working good.

I can sync my Ionic when plugged to the charger, next to wifi base and the iPhone next to it left alone for some while. like this I can at least sync my daily exercises throughout a day but you must admit that‘s not how it should be for a pricy smartwatch. as I tried out everything possible for weeks now I‘ll use it as it is and wait for a fitbit app and/or Ionic os and/or an iOS update. I‘m going to be patient for about 2 months now and if things won‘t get better I‘ll use my 2 years warranty to return the device for a reliable tracker.

regarding the fitbit support: 
I appreciate your responses but instead of repeating the steps to follow (which I did soo many times now) it would be time to admit that there is a bug with the bluetooth sync and that your dev-team is going to fix it within a given time. users like me and on the forums are frustrated with this bug and are going to be frustrated about fitbit and that is certainly not good for the fitness of your company.

thanks for your time reading this long report.
Best Answer
0 Votes

fitbit_sync2.jpg

Hi, I just found the setting causing this issue.   There is another setting under data usage-mobile date-> app data usage: dataUsage disabled.

This was ON.   After turning it off the syncing works without WIFI.

I might have set this in the past. (can't remember). just did not realize that this also blocks bluetooth data.  anyhow . It is working now.

Best Answer
0 Votes

and to answer your question:

By any chance, are you getting the same message than @Saltheo1

No I don't see that message. But I see following Error message when entering and altering the Device Lock settings in the fitbit app: The operation couldn't be completed. (FBBluetoothErrorDomain error 19.)

Best Answer
0 Votes

IMG_7603.PNG

my iOS fitbit app settings are set like this. either turning on/off mobile data does not fix my bluetooth sync issue.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for updating me with your support case @Lopemon! In this case, I'd recommend keeping the chat with them as they have all necessary tools to look deeply into this inconvenience. I've taken the time to share your Community post with our Support Team so they can be aware of everything. Keep an eye on your inbox for further instructions. Woman Very Happy

Awesome @Saltheo1! I'm happy to hear that you were able to sort this out after checking your settings. Smiley Very Happy Keep testing the synchronization behavior now that you found out this. 

Best Answer