Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic's firmware isn't updating

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

The firmware update is appearing to be held up due to lack of bluetooth connectivity.  Not working over wi-fi.  

Using IOS - Apple phone only got my fitbit today.  Not able to use it until it has updated completely.  Unsure if there is some kind of issue with the watch?  Is this an issue for all Apple users

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity 

Best Answer
121 REPLIES 121

It's nice to see you in the Community @AusieGirl. I'm sorry for the inconvenience you're having with your Ionic while you're doing the firmware update. It does need to be updated then you can enjoy all its features. 

I would like you to confirm you've tried the steps provided in this article Why can't I update my Fitbit device?. Additionally, so far I haven't seen any reports about issues happening with people updating their watches with iOS. 

Hope this helps! 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

I installed the update now. But I got a Fitbit OS without any apps except the manually installed from the App Gallery. I have even no settings app, no exercise app, .... I can also not install even an app or an watchface, but it is connected. Can someone help me?

Best Answer

No solution.  This is very frustrating.  The Ionic is not securing a bluetooth connection to the Apple Iphone 7plus.  There is no stability on the bluetooth connection.  The ionic I have removed from the Fitbit app and now due to not having a stable bluetooth connection the app cannot find the device and the phone cannot find the device.

Please help?  When is this issue going to be resolved? Or when can Fitbit Ionic purchasers be given a device that is going to work with their apple phones?

Best Answer

Mine wont work either!  I can't update over blue tooth NOR wifi.  I have the original google pixel and reset, turned off done everything suggested.

Best Answer

Hey there @Shanks4218@AusieGirl and @julianschmuckli! Let me help you with the issue you're having while trying to update or sync your Ionic to your mobile devices. I would like you to try to update it using your computer and then you can sync using your iOS or Android phone. (latest app version 2.66 for Android and 2.45 iOS) 

If you get any error message while trying to update it, you can check the tips provided here Why can't I update my Fitbit device?. Also, if you're having issues just with syncing try this procedure

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Silviafitbit,

I get my steps and stuff updated onto the app, but Bluetooth fails when I want to update to os2. 

I followed your link to troubleshoot but when I try to connect to my WiFi the Ionic app gives me a msg that reads "Bluetooth Issues" "restart Bluetooth or cancel" , funny it connected last week without a hitch when I downloaded music.

I also tried to do it with my computer, didn't work either.

Best Answer

A warm welcome to the Community @getmeoutofLA! Usually, you get this type of message when it's being difficult to sync your tracker. In this case, I would like you to confirm you've restarted it and then you can try doing the update procedure once again. (You can try using your computer when you try again to see if you get different results) 

Hope this helps! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Try connecting it to a computer, I had to do that last time to get it to update.

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer

Not just an iPhone issue. My Samsung is having problems all the time. Syncing, is very time consuming

Best Answer

I am having the same problem on my Samsung S8+. It has processed half-way 6-10 times but always fails. In fact, it happened twice this morning. I would like to get this firmware update but am getting very frustrated.

Best Answer

I have also tried every step mentioned in this thread with no success. Phone, computer, restarting, resetting. I left my Fitbit Ionic plugged into my computer and charging to run the update for over 10 hours with no success. It still said it was updating. Confused. Ugh, and add the Bluetooth issues with the Fitbit Flyer I'm getting frustrated with Fitbit products. 

Best Answer

I have tried every method you have provided on here and we cannot get the brand new ionic to work. 

such a pity 

Best Answer

I am having exactly the same problem with the update. My ionic worked great until the update was needed and now the Bluetooth constantly fails, I can't use the WiFi and my phone doesn' even pick up the Watch on Bluetooth scanning. I have tried everything on the help pages and still not working. I paid a lot of money for a watch that doesn' even work properly. Has anyone found a solution yet? 😊

Best Answer

I have been trying to install the new update as well and have failed 10 times. I've the instructions here to the T and still failure every **ahem** time.

Best Answer

I have been following all the messages around how difficult it is to update using wifi and/or Bluetooth. I have had similar issues. Updating using the phone (I have Windows Phone) takes up to 11 hours via Bluetooth - but the connection remains stable. Wifi doesn't seem to work though the tracker connects to the router (it shows up as connected devices on the router console) but update fails every time without even starting.

Update using the PC (Windows) - Bluetooth got disconnected twice and I am trying for the 3rd time now. The update seems to move faster (it shows 6 hours estimated time) on the Bluetooth. Wifi doesn't work thru PC also. 

To me, the only option to update is Bluetooth. Wifi doesn't work at all. 

Best Answer

I was finally able to get my Ionic to update to 2.0 last night. But I had to reset it to factory. I was not able to do over Wifi at all but it did finally work over bluetooth. It took a couple hours total but works great now.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same problem with both my 6s plus and wife's 7 plus.  Tried WiFi, Bluetooth, updating the phone app, disconnecting the ionic from the app, heckni even exchanged the ionic at the store of purchase and the new one does the same thing.  We love the ionic when it works, but this absurd bupdate process is really souring on the product.  Paying over $600 for two watches that won't even update feels like a scam, we aren't happy.

Best Answer

My Iconic has been spinning the Fitbit icon since installing the update about 4 hours ago.  I have reset the device several times with no luck.  Can I do a hard reset to get past the Fitbit icon?

Best Answer

All, An update on my situation with the firmware update. I got it to work last night by doing the following: 

Most of these are no-brainers but wanted to add them to what I did.

1. Ensured that watch was fully charged
  2. Restarted my Samsung 8
  3. Restarted my Ionic
  4. Made sure my phone was on the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled. Maybe overkill but I wasn’t going to play the odds.
  5. From the Fitbit APP - Removed/Forgot my home network
  6. Added my Wi-Fi network back on to my watch from the Fitbit APP
  7. From the watch went to settings and then about and made sure that it had an IP address from the Wi-Fi.
  8. From the Fitbit APP – Started the Firmware update. I watched the Ionic complete the installation (about 20 minutes). If you rely on the FitBit APP it will not show you status or completion. This is why I kept an eye on the watch instead.
  9. After I went through the new welcome interface I made sure that I had a good sync between the APP and the watch.

I hope this helps someone on this thread. 

Best Answer
0 Votes