Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic's firmware isn't updating

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

The firmware update is appearing to be held up due to lack of bluetooth connectivity.  Not working over wi-fi.  

Using IOS - Apple phone only got my fitbit today.  Not able to use it until it has updated completely.  Unsure if there is some kind of issue with the watch?  Is this an issue for all Apple users

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity 

Best Answer
121 REPLIES 121
I think mine updated but it took so long and so many retries
Best Answer
0 Votes
Seriously, be happy you didn't get the update. I wish I could downgrade. They haven't yet worked the bugs out of the update.
Best Answer

I finally managed to update over WiFi and you're right the update is not great! I don't get any notifications through from my phone anymore

Best Answer

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm back to no sync. This is ridiculous! You would think fitbit would make the fixes BEFORE pushing the next new device! I'm at the point where I may just not use fitbit at all. My trainer has been trying to get me to use Garmin and he never has sync issues, not in 2 yrs! But they are ugly and I'm shallow like that 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Great. Thanks for info. I will wait till they get the bugs out because I don’t have the time or enough Ionic smarts to put up with it! For some reason, I expect updates to work, the first time...

Sent from my iPad

Best Answer
0 Votes

I didn’t finish loading the update and will wait till they fix the bugs, thanks to you and a few other users who posted their experiences. Thank you so much!

Sent from my iPad

Best Answer

I have exactly the same problem. I can´t use the computer either. There it says that ionic only works with phone ?! 

Best Answer

This is issue causing my phone battery to deplete and always alerting me to do the update, when they  system is not letting me 

Best Answer

I've been unable to update and sync with the wifi or the bluetooth for a week now, even after having restarted the phone and the watch.

What goes on???

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit ionic sucks! Waste of money

Best Answer

Yes!!!! Sucks sucks sucks sucks!!! I hate it and all because the stupid update 

Best Answer

Won’t  connect via wi-fi, Bluetooth update starts and then update starts and into process then stalls. I’ve let it runs dozens of times without luck. Tried all the hacks: restarted phone, ionic, reloaded software update; tried it using iPhone, iPad and MacBook. Nothing works. Sigh.

ill wait for another updated in hopes that will work. Or go ahead Ana switch to iWatch. That works like a charm for my wife... who continues to mock me for my loyalty to Fitbit...

Best Answer

Have tried everything mentioned here.  It is very annoying.   Why release an update that obviously has not been tested properly.  

Wishing I had my Blaze back 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Unfortunately I am having this same issue. I’ve hat my Fitbit for about a ear now and it is not updating over Bluetooth. I have been trying for over a week now over WiFi and bluetooth and still no luck!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Now I have to buy a computer just to update my ionic????

Best Answer
0 Votes

My phone battery is a mess too. Thanks for pointing this out. I didn't put it together. I'm on another post about the syncing issue and some have gotten replacement devices that work. Of course no one from fitbit has jumped in with solution. Everyone has had no success with updates. In fact several had working fitbit that then stopped completely!  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Everyone laughs at me for the fitbit loyalty as well. Guess they must be right. Too bad fitbit won't step up and fix it or offer exchange to those of us posting on their public forum!!! Maybe posting social media would get their attention 

Best Answer

Someone from Fitbit reached out to me.
I had to do a factory reset of my Fitbit and then do the update. I had tried 7 times. This finally worked

Best Answer

After a lot of frustration (hours with the little dial spinning and the iPhone saying “connecting” when it was really going aimlessly around in circles) and reading a number of posted solutions, I started over as follows and it worked with my iPhone 7.
1. Charge up both devices to 100 percent and keep them plugged into the charger.
2. Close the Fitbit App.
3. Disconnect the Ionic from the Bluetooth list.
4. Turn Bluetooth off. Wait a few seconds, then turn it on.
5. It should detect the Ionic and synch with it.
6. Now download the update to the iPhone. If it works, the update will walk you thru the update, but it does take 15-20 minutes to complete with a few entries from you. Once done, remove the devices from the charger and you should be fine.
I suspect some of the issues stem from the quality of the Wi-Fi connection. But a lack of written instructions from Fitbit IS NOT AN INDICATION OF GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE.
Good luck. If this doesn’t work, search the net for the Ionic and your specific cellphone model.

Sent from my iPad

Best Answer
0 Votes