Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic's run statistic different on watch and Dashboard

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I use my Ionic to track runs. The activity summary I see on the Ionic immediately upon completion of the activity is different than the information I see on the Fitbit Dashboard (on the mobile app AND the web interface) and both are different than the information shown on the Strava app (I have Fitbit and Strava linked). I use Android 10. I carry the phone with me on the run. I DO NOT start either the Fitbit app or the Strava app on the phone. I use the Ionic to track the run. I DO NOT have the Ionic set to auto start or stop. I always manually stop and start the Ionic should I need to stop during the run. Here is today's run showing the difference in the stats.

Ionic Activity Recap: Distance 5.53 miles. Duration 53'18". Average pace 9'17". (do the math...this can't be the correct Average pace)

Fitbit Dashboard: Distance 5.43 miles. Duration 51'13". Average pace 9'26".

Strava Dashboard: Distance 5.42 miles. Duration 50'24" (moving time). Average pace 9'17". The Strava dashboard  does show the Elapsed Time as 52'40".

Given the Ionic is gathering the info and providing it to the Fitbit Dashboard AND the Strava Dashboard why the variance in the individual statistics?

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity 

Best Answer
0 Votes
10 REPLIES 10

Hi all, 

I was wonder if anyone had come across the different power results between Fitbit and Strava. 
I know why they differ - Strava takes into account the weight of your bike, but Fitbit does not have a ‘Gear’ section to enter your kit details and weight. 
not such a big issue when your on roady, bigger though when your riding a heavier mountain bike. I’ve had differences of 25-30 watts, as well as a big calorie discrepancy which is huge when your keeping an eye on performance. I like to track with Fitbit and import to Strava so that the details from both are combined including the heart rate from Fitbit, but in doing this I am getting wrong burn figures. 
Any ideas ?

👍

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes

@summersrl It's nice to see you on the Community. 

Thanks for taking the time to share what you're experiencing with your Ionic tracking an exercise. I appreciate that you mentioned how you're starting the activity. 

It's pretty weird that the data you're seeing on your Dashboard is different to what you're seeing on your Dashboard. This information should be totally the same. 

I would like you to restart your watch and try to track another exercise activity once again. If after restarting it, you're still seeing these inconsistencies, please attach a picture of the stats you get on Ionic and the stats you're getting on your Dashboard. 

Keep me posted. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the response. I've restarted my watch and then went for a run. Here's the summary of the various views followed by screenshots for all....

1. Ionic recap post run: Time: 1:05:23, Distance: 6.42, Average 10:10 (the math is correct for average pace)

2. App recap on Phone: Time: 1:05:17, Distance 6.42, Average 10:23 (the math is INCORRECT for average pace)

3. Strava Recap: Time: 1:03:48, Distance 6.29, Average 10.08 (the math is correct for average pace).

Screenshot_20200424-065525.pngScreenshot_20200424-065537.pngIMG_20200424_064316-export - web jpeg-2.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey SilviaFitbit.... I'm disappointed that after providing you with the screenshots you requested my issue has been dropped like a bad date. Even if you can't explain what caused the issue the least you could do is say so. Ignoring an uncomfortable situation doesn't reflect well on you personally or Fitbit in general.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have this exact problem, I ran a measured 5k,fitbit recorded it as 4.86,app and watch and strava always different, watch always records a lot less distance, I've ordered a garmin forerunner as I can't work this discrepancy anymore

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Todston A warm welcome to the Community. Sorry for the delayed reply. 

I appreciate the time you took to share detailed information from the differences that you're getting in Fitbit and Strava. 

When you're tracking your runs/walks, it's recommended that you use either Fitbit or Strava because if you track them using GPS, the activities will sync between apps. At the moment, the heart rate data won't sync to any third-party app. 

Keep in mind that each app will use different algorithms to track your exercises. Learn more about this integration on this post

I'll be around if you have any additional questions. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just to let you know the GPS tracking on the FitBit is wrong...

It's a known issue and loads have people have this issue:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Versa-Smartwatches/Distance-on-GPS-map-doesn-t-match-with-exercise-s...

It's blamed on things such as "stride length" but as it's based on GPS, so stride length wont make a difference.

Thought I'd let you know, just in case this was causing the issues you are having.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@summersrl Hey there. I apologize for the delayed in my reply. 

I've merged some posts here in order to keep track of this. 

I appreciate the screenshots shared and the tests done. Please make sure you have the latest app version and the latest firmware version on Ionic too if you received it. 

Let me know the outcome. I'll be around if you have any additional questions. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I am current with the mobile app and firmware. The issue continues and
impacts each successive run. I have grown to accept that the watch is
fatally flawed, at least for runners. Unless you have specific solutions to
offer there is no need for you to continue to remind me that I spent a few
hundred dollars for a device that can't be relied upon for accurate
statistics.....
Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had basically the same problem with my versa 2. I finished a run which said 7.02 miles on the watch and when I go to my dashboard on my laptop the line of stats at the top of the map says 7.02 miles, but the distance in the map says 6.9 miles (as does my strava). This is particularly annoying as I'm planning to do a virtual half marathon later this month and the watch will be how I tell when I've reached the end. I also don't understand how Fitbit itself has different figures??

Best Answer
0 Votes