Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic stopped working after swimming.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Went swimming for the first time with my Ionic and now it doesn't work.  Checked the forum and tried factory reset.  All I got out of that is that when I tried to charge It, it started vibrating and wouldn't quit.  I took it off the charger and it still won't turn on but it did stop vibrating.  

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Hi @Hawkeye1970 

If it’s out of warranty, you’re out of luck. PLEASE DON’T SWIM with these devices. Too late for you unfortunately.

My response to an earlier thread.

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Ionic/Ionic-Wet-from-Swimming-Laps-No-help-from-support/m-p/4310235#...

I showered with mine on this morning - but I was careful not to press any buttons and dried it afterwards. I also checked it was still working by turning my wrist whilst in the shower. Yes, I'm quite paranoid of how un-waterproof these are. Just read the posts in this forum....

Best Answer
0 Votes

If it isnt waterproof why on earth is there even a swim option at all?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Tannerpitt,

It IS waterproof technically speaking. But as many users are active swimmers, these devices are subjected to a fair bit of water pressure from vigorous movement. IMHO, the 50 metre/5ATM WR50 certification is not enough given the conditions these (Ionic and Versa) are subjected to in water. WR100 certification would have resulted in far fewer leaking devices.

TBF, any waterproof device will have a "few" in water failures. But it shouldn't be many.

Fitbit won't and can't admit to an issue. Having the swim function is a HUGE marketing plus. How many buyers would have looked elsewhere if these weren't marketed as swim proof. I wouldn't have bought a Versa and now Ionic without that, and I don't swim very often.

When Fitbit started receiving reports of flooded devices - the horse had already bolted unfortunately.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The Ionic is definitely NOT waterproof. I went swimming and used the swim app for the 1st. Now my Fitbit Ionic will not power on. I called the Fitbit CS and the best they would do for me is offer me a 25% discount on another device which I thought was insulting especially since the Ionic is falsely advertised as waterproof. Very disappointing to me. 

Best Answer