Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic takes a long time for GPS to lock on

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi,

It's been weeks of using the Ionic and I realised that it would take a long time (3-5min) for a GPS lock on before my runs. By the way, I have a habit of shutting down Ionic at night. I'm wonder if the shut down would have been the cause of it.

Anybody faces this problem? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi all, I think I needa give an update of my fix.

I was advised to do a factory reset (remove ionic from fitbit app before doing the reset from ionic) then add the ionic back to fitbit app and do firmware update. 

I was able to get GPS lock on within 1-2 min. My faith with fitbit has restored 🙂

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
9 REPLIES 9

@Chingyq Welcome to the Fitbit family! I don't think that could be the reason why this is happening. This usually happens when there is a weak GPS signal. There are a lot of factors that may cause this delay. For example:

• Tall buildings.
  • Dense forest.
  • Steep hills.
  • Thick clouds.
  • Other environmental factors. 

These can interfere with your watch's ability to connect with GPS satellites. 

If you are underground or indoors, that may affect as well! Where are you performing your activities?

Hope this helps. Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Chingyq

My GPS locks in less than 30 seconds. I have never waited 3-5 minutes for a lock. You might try leaving it on and see if that solves the issue.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,
I am aware of GPS limitation in securing a lock on. I was doing it under
a clear blue sky with no shelter. I was previously a Garmin user and the
watch (vivoactive HR) could let me secure a lock on at most 2 min. But for
fitbit ionic, at the same place and weather condition, it has been getting
a fix around 3-5 mins, which is long.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Chingyq Thanks for your reply! Please try these workarounds:

• GPSGPS

This should help you out!

Try that out and let me know how it goes! Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I doubt that the shutdown causes it... Maybe you are just unlucky enough to not be in a direct path of the satellites? I know mine locks on in about 60 seconds, which is actually faster than the MS Band 2 I used to use....

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, this method did not work. I still have to wait for 5-8 mins for a lock on. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Chingyq, if you restarted your Ionic and followed the steps that @SantiR mentioned, and it still does not connect with the GPS you probably need to contact Fitbit Support so that they can determine if you have a defective Ionic.  Mine almost always connects to the GPS in 30 to 60 seconds, which I think is probably normal.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi all, I think I needa give an update of my fix.

I was advised to do a factory reset (remove ionic from fitbit app before doing the reset from ionic) then add the ionic back to fitbit app and do firmware update. 

I was able to get GPS lock on within 1-2 min. My faith with fitbit has restored 🙂

Best Answer

I have had the same problem for two days.  Just won't connect.  No clouds, hills, tall buildings, forests, etc.  Just open space.  It was doing well for the first four weeks that I have had it, but now, no connection and using 'steps' to calculate calories burned is nowhere close to accurate.  I have reset it six times these past two days.  Customer service offered a different solution but that didn't work.  I have also done a factor reset but didn't work either.  Fortunately, I still have my Garmin and its GPS works fine.

Best Answer
0 Votes