Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic tracks sleep when watching TV

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Every time I seat to watch TV, or seat at my desk, my Fitbit registers as I was asleep. It’s annoying that I have to keep deleting those extra sleep logs, but besides that, I’m wondering if it’s also underestimating my calories thinking I’m napping all day long ???

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

Welcome to the Fitbit Community @LivingHealthFitbit estimates your sleep stages using a combination of your movement and heart-rate patterns. When you haven’t moved for about an hour, your tracker or watch assumes that you’re asleep. Additional data—such as the length of time your movements are indicative of sleep behavior (such as rolling over, etc.)—help confirm that you’re asleep. 

As you mentioned, you can manually edit your sleep log to better reflect your time asleep, if your sleep start or end times are incorrect,. Note that if you extend your time asleep, you may see gaps at the start or end times of your sleep stages. For step-by-step instructions, see How do I change my sleep history?

In regards to the calories question, Fitbit algorithms are based on your demographics, as you know we burn calories all the time even when we're seating still or sleeping. I recommend checking this help article.

Even when you're sleeping your Ionic will track any steps you take if you walk from one room to another. Also, sometimes, users manually log an activity and they accidentally do it during the morning when you were sleeping. I would check if there aren't any activities during this time that can affect the data you're getting. 

You may want to restart your Ionic just to make sure it continues working normally. 

I'll be around, let me know if you need further assistance! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes