Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic water damage after swim activity

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Ionic that I've gone swimming with before has died. I went in the pool for about five minutes this weekend (Ionic was fully charged) and I noticed when I went back inside that it was dead. I tried charging it but it didn't work, the battery won't even show up. The only thing that happens is that the watch gets warm when I leave it on the charger. It's completely dead. How can you advertise something as water resistant up to 50 meters when it can't even go in a foot of water? That's one expensive mistake. False advertising and a very frustrated and angry customer. I already know customer support won't help having read other responses. What have others done? I spent nearly $300 on this when I first got it. Not all o us are made of money and can continue to buy these watches. I'll be doing some more research and switching to a more reliable watch in the future.

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity 

Best Answer
14 REPLIES 14

Hi @adkkn, welcome to the community.

Have you actually tried contacting customer support? In this situation they are the only ones that can help you and discuss what warranty options may be available to you.

As for the device, I would definitely recommend not connecting it to the power if it's getting hot. This could be a potential fire risk. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer

Hello guys! I'm here to provide assistance. I'd like to give you a warm welcome to our Community Forums first @adkkn. It's nice to see you participating in our Ionic board @N8teGee, welcome back. My apologies for the delay in responding,

@adkkn Seems odd that your Ionic device is experiencing difficulties after a swim activity, our device was designed to be swim proof up to 50 meters, thanks for troubleshooting this situation prior posting. Please take in consideration that each scenario is different, therefore, I contacted our Customer Support team on your behalf to receive further assistance directly with them. Please keep an eye to your email inbox for their contact, they'll be in touch with you soon. Thanks for the feedback that was shared, this information always help us to improve our products and services.

In the meantime our Support team get in touch with you, let me know if you have any additional questions.

@N8teGee Thanks for your suggestion, I'd like to let you know that I've reached our Support team to continue assisting our user just as you recommended. Your willingness to help is always appreciated.

I'll be around. 

Best Answer

Hello! I’m wondering what was the resolution to this issue. The exact same thing happened to my Fitbit yesterday - got wet (in the sink), noticed the battery flashing at 8% roughly 2 hours later, Fitbit died, and only heats up when I charge it, doesn’t come on. When I looked closer I noticed water in the sensors on the back. Just wondering how your situation turned out. Thanks!

Best Answer

Hi @Curly9454, thanks for bringing this to my attention, welcome to the Community Forums. Sorry for the delay in responding your post.

I appreciate the information that was shared in your post. Support team informed me that they already providing you assistance regarding this situation. That said, my best advice for you will be to contact them back if you have any additional questions about the outcome of your case, I'm sure that they'll be happy to give you more information and details.

I'll be here if you need anything else.

Best Answer
0 Votes

How did this turn out? I had  exactly the same thing happen today with my previously reliable ionic. 

Best Answer

While I still haven’t received my replacement watch, FitBit did agree to do the right thing and send me a replacement. My watch was 1 1/2 years old and obviously not as waterproof as they advertise. Contact customer support (I used the chat method) and see what they can do for you. The total chat time was about 10-15 minutes and they will need the email address associated with your FitBit account.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had 2 fail because of water damage in the past 4 months.

Clearly not waterproof to 50m, I would say not waterproof at all.

My last one failed when I very quickly rinsed it off under a tap and immediately dried it using a towel.

Quite frustrating that people are forking out a lot of money for these watches and being left out of pocket because of a product defect (or false advertising)

Best Answer

I agree there is a waterproofing issue with the Ionic. My sister’s started glitching several months after she got it. She regularly swims for exercise, but it still worked as a watch. Just after 12 months, it stopped working completely—- would not reset, would not recharge. I said call the company anyway, because it was defective way before 12 months. She did; after almost an hour of talking thru layers of “customer service” they offered her a “goodwill” 20% off a new Fitbit. She said thanks, but no thanks, I don’t trust your product 80% enough to buy another. She gives me the dead Fitbit because I said I’d try to fiddle with it and let my kids use it as a watch. I toss it in a drawer and forget it. In quarantine now & cleaning out  the drawers, I find it, plug it in and it starts charging! It’s been working fine for almost a week for my kids—- no showers, no water I warned. I live in a drier climate than my sister, so I suspect it was waterlogged inside and it took months for it to dry out and it’s ok now. I still won’t buy a Fitbit, but I’ll use the secondhand freebie. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

exact same thing has happened to me. Would like to know the solution. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm out of warranty so 25% discount to buy a new one. NAAA.. not for a watch that people are talking about having the same problems with. I would not have used it in the water had they not advertised it being waterproof plus I suspect the update may have bricked it anyway. So i will go back to samsung, its a better looking watch and I would still have my old one had it not been stolen. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I was told that the watch could not be covered under warranty as the first
watch I bought was purchased on Ebay.
They had already replaced 3 previously due to water damage.
I am now left without warranty, 3 dead watches and one "waterproof" watch
that I cannot get wet as it cannot even handle a rinse under the tap
nevermind swim.
Chuck it and go with samsung or garmin.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Same happened to me today. water damaged, and as it over 365 days since I purchased our watch there’s no warranty. no replacement given but offered 25% off.  No thanks, I’ll try an alternative brand next time. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same issue with my Fitbit Ionic. I was in water for 5 minutes and now my fitbit is dead, really unhappy that it's dead. Did any of you get a positive response for the support team? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
In the end, after a lot of back and forth, sending photos, etc, they sent a
replacement. Good luck!
Best Answer
0 Votes