Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic will not update to new firmware

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello, everyone.  I don't know what to do.  I purchased a used Ionic and, while going through the update, it stops a certain way in and says it cannot update over wifi and asks to try again or try over Bluetooth.  I have tried both and it will not update.  The Ionic was factory reset when I bought it.  I am able to get calls, messages, and use the watch as I should, however, when I look at the Ionic through my account, I have the pink bar that says an update is available.  I did not know I wasn't supposed to do a factory reset a d I have done that trying to resolve the issue.  I did have another Ionic on my account that I am able to update with no issues.  I tried putting that one on my account again and taking it back off to see if I didn't remove it properly and that would resolve the issue.  It did not.  I don't know what else to do.  The watch seems to work, but it is not updated completely.  What can I do to get the Ionic updated to the latest firmware considering I have tried everything through the app?  Thank you, all, for your help!

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
13 REPLIES 13

Welcome to the Fitbit Community, @seggleston.

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you experienced with your Fitbit Ionic. Thank you for trying to get them resolved before contacting us.

The latest firmware version of the Fitbit Ionic is 27.72.1.15 as stated in this article. For instructions on how to check your current version please visit this site and open the menu "How do I find the version number for my Fitbit device?".

To resolve difficulties during the update process, we recommend following these troubleshooting steps.

If you followed the instructions shared above without luck, you can try the following:

- Log out from the Fitbit app

- Remove your Ionic from the list of Bluetooth devices

- Reboot your phone and restart your Ionic.

- Log back into the Fitbit app

- Set up your Watch as a replacement device:

1. Tap the Today tab EdsonFitbit_0-1638750514948.png, and tap your profile picture.
  2. Tap Set Up a Device.
  3. Choose your device and follow the on-screen instructions to continue.

Hope this helps.

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Hai ricevuto la risposta che stavi cercando? Accetta il post come soluzione!

¿Has recibido la respuesta que estabas buscando? ¡Acepta el post como solución!

Best Answer
  • @EdsonFitbit Thank you for letting me know that!  I checked the firmware version and it says 27.72.1.15, but I still have the pink box in the Fitbit app that says an update is available.  

The watch acts just like it should, so I am not sure why there is an update showing for my Ionic or why I cannot get past a certain point during the update.  Will there be any future updates that this glitch may affect?  

Thank you for your reply and help with this.  Have a wonderful week!

Best Answer

Thanks for your response, @seggleston.

At the moment, there is no information about new firmware updates for the Fitbit Ionic but if there is any update available it should be communicated as soon as possible.

Have a wonderful week you too.

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks so much for all of the info!

Best Answer

You're welcome, @seggleston.

On another note, you are welcome to visit the Health & Wellness board to talk with other members about health and fitness.

Have a nice day.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that I am in the exact same situation. Mine gets about a quarter of the way through the update and then stops. But mine also shows that firmware number as well. I have tried all of the tricks suggested, as well as a factory reset but it keeps telling me there is still an update available.. Sorry I'm no help, but I just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you so much, BradMB8, for letting me know that you have the same issue with yours as well.  You describe it exactly when you say it reaches a quarter and then it goes no further (it gets to the left edge of the diamond logo and stops).  So far, I haven't noticed whether or not I am missing any features because the update (if there is one) doesn't load correctly, but it remains to be seen for any future updates.  And, you are of great help because it does help immensely to know that someone else is experiencing the same issue.  And, I tried, too, to do a factory reset among other things with no luck.  I had another Ionic (the blue/gray one) that updated just fine.  Mine that I use now is the burnt orange one (I always wanted one).  😀  

If anyone has any solution for making sure the Ionic gets updated correctly, please let us know.  I am sure BradMB8 and I have spent hours trying to get this resolved to no avail.  Thank you, all, for the help!

Best Answer
0 Votes

A lot of Ionics were bricked with the update.

Some came through it ok, others ended up as e-waste.

I refuse to update my Ionic simply because the update could damage my property.

Fitbit accepts no responsibility for any software, even their own, that you choose to install on your device.

Your choices are, to take the risk and try to update, possibly destroying your watch.

Ignore the banner and still have a fully functioning watch.

I doubt that the update has anything useful as my Ionic still works fine after months and months of ignoring the update banner.

Best Answer

Make sure your tracker is charged and then try these steps: Turn your tracker off and on again using the instructions in How do I restart my Fitbit device? Restart your phone, and retry the update. Log in to your Fitbit account on a different device.

upsers

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, Qonqr.  Thank you for letting me know that.  I have ignored the pink banner as the Ionic seems to be working just fine as it stands.  Even when I try to install the update, like BradMB8 and I mentioned, it stops a quarter way and goes no further.  It's odd that some Ionics come through ok (like my blue/gray one) and others (like my orange one) don't.  According to another post, it has the correct firmware, so I can't say for sure if there even is an update available.  I am just hoping that, if another update comes out, the watch updates as it should.  I think the Ionic is a solid Fitbit and I would hate to see it become a paperweight anytime soon....  especially considering I just got the orange one I wanted for so long.

Thank you for letting me know about the outcome of this last update.  At this point, unless Fitbit comes out with a fix for this, I will just continue using my Ionic as it stands and ignore the annoying hot pink banner.  Thank you!!

Best Answer

Hi, Rutherforde.  Thank you for your help on this.  Unfortunately, I have tried resetting the Ionic, restarting my phone and going into my account through my computer.  Unfortunately, it all results in the same....the update bar goes about a quarter of the way (just to the left edge of the diamond logo) and then stops.  After a while, the screen comes back on as normal, but the update asks to update over Bluetooth.  When I tried that, the same thing happened.  The update just stopped.  Using the same device to update my blue/gray one, the update went through just fine.  

Thanks so much for your help on this and have a great week!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same here. The update goes to that exact spot just left of the diamond and stops. Trust me, I have tried every suggested remedy available but nothing has been successful. I will just continue to use mine the way it is since it does work fine, and just ignore the messages telling me to update the firmware. Definitely keep me posted seggleston if anything does end up working for you and I will be sure to do the same!

Best Answer

I will definitely do that!  Thank you, BradMB8!  If there is any consolation at this point, at least the Ionics work.  😀

Happy Holidays to you and yours as well as to all who have responded to my post!

Best Answer
0 Votes