Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic will not work after swimming in Ocean

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

After reading here and on the Fitbit site I wore my ionic with me when I went swimming in the ocean (because Fitbit said it was waterproof and could be used in saltwater). Immediately after getting home I went to look at it and the watch was completely unusable, all it showed was a black screen. I had even rinsed off the salt water (as suggested by Fitbit after use in the ocean) I frustratedly placed it in a bowl of rice and let it sit over night. I proceeded to check it periodically and continued to have the same unresponsive device. About 36 hours after placing it in rice I checked again and it finally showed something on the screen, and indicated that my Fitbit was dead. This was odd as I had it completely charged before I even went swimming the day before. I felt relieved because I thought the issue was fixed so I put it on the charger and left it for aprox 12 hours. I just went back to power it on and now my device with not do anything other than flash the Fitbit logo over and over and over and over. I’ve tried the steps to factory reset it and nothing seems to work. My watch is only 4 months old and I am incredibly disappointed with Fitbit. I would have never taken it in the ocean if I would have known this was going to be an issue. I only did after reading these forums and the Fitbit site.. I honestly feel like you guys owe me a new watch.

Moderator edit: format. 

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

I feel your pain. I have an ionic since September and also bought the device with the intent of swimming with it since the device is marketed as a swimming device. Took it in the pool two days ago and the battery drain is significantly reduced and can't hold s charge for more than a few hours. Before this had been fine. Hard resets and factory reset does nothing. Pedometer and heart rate monitor no longer works. I would like to hear from Fitbit on how to proceed.

Best Answer

I just experienced almost the exact same situation. I have swam in a pool with my Fitbit for a couple of years now and I have never had issues. I went once in the ocean this week, I rinsed it after I got home and it began to act strangely and then turned completely off. It was unresponsive for several days. It finally excepted a charge and it turned on. But now the problem is that it doesn’t hold a charge. My Fitbit could last on a single charge for a couple of days and today did not even last eight hours. How does one get Fitbit to respond to these concerns?

Best Answer

I went swimming in the ocean but decided to take off my ionic during snorkeling. But it got wet with saltwater with my gears and now it doesn't turn on. It is staying on a black screen. It linked with my phone somehow but it mentioned there is no battery after charging it for several hours... So the bottom line is that you need to avoid saltwater altogether, let alone swimming in the ocean.

Best Answer

My watch was 2 months old when this happened but in fairness I do go swimming in the ocean several times a week didn’t experience any problems until last week & then like the rest my watch had a spaz attack while in the water and it was gone. When I inspected it at home water actually bubbled  out of the screen. So clearly the glue they use for the screen is terrible . Now I did complain to Fitbit straight away and they offered me a replacement Fitbit screen or 50% off another watch ?? Yeah I was confused at the second one too 🤦🏼‍:male_sign:🤷🏼‍:male_sign:! The watch is under warranty for one year so you all qualify for a replacement as far as I can tell in Europe it’s 2 years! So I will continue to use the watch in the water as it is advertised as a water watch and if the same thing happens again I will get another new one or ask for a full refund as if the watch is not water proof then this is false advertising. Anyway I have  Just received my new screen today a week later and I’m off for a swim. Watch this space 😂

Best Answer
0 Votes