Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic won't connect to Wi-Fi

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I am really getting frustrated with Fitbit. I had to replace two Fitbit Surges. I bought a Fitbit Ionic and could not use my old account to set it up and now all of a sudden my wifi stopped working and the network will not show up for me to start it up again. I do not want to hear it’s something I’ve done because it isn’t. It also took forever for me to download a few songs. You pay all of this money and they can not find solutions. It will not synch my steps but once I went online it did but still won’t let me set up my Wifi. I do not want to hear about trouble shooting because I have had this thing since December and I need answers on what they are doing because they can send me a refund for this trash. Stop selling them

for these high prices if the product is cheaply done. Again, I want real answers. 

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
40 REPLIES 40

@Ericws I hope you're doing well! Thanks for trying the restart steps and for sharing those details regarding your experience.

I went ahead and contacted you via PM. Please keep an eye on your Community inbox.

Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer

I realise the issue with not connecting to Wi-Fi is due to the Security setting.  I changed from WPA2 to WPA and it works.  Perhaps you may want to try a different security setting or check your router for the appropriate security setting.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree, the setup is fiendishly complicated. If I go to Account, I don't get any Wifi Settings option. THere's no way of linking the Ionic to wifi, the IP address doesn't work...I wonder if chucking it out of the window would work...

Best Answer
0 Votes

There are no 3 dots on the wifi setup pageWhat 3 dotsWhat 3 dots

Best Answer

Same with me and my replacement unit. The other one just died for no reason. Now I can't update this one. No wireless and the bluetooth update is simply useless as it starts and fails always at some point. 😕

Edit: Reinstalling the app on android got this working for me. Currently updating with wifi....

Edit2: Download finished and installing started on the ionic. It filled up, went green, vibrated and then brought back the old system while the android app just left stuck in 'Installing in progress' . It's getting riddicolous. I will see again tomorrow since it's late here.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ok I learned two things playing around.

MOST IMPORTANT - if you are having trouble getting your watch to ever sync with music and it keeps getting this check your bluetooth error...put it on the charger

I know they say that is only an issue when you have 25% or less battery life...nonsense, mine will only turn on wifi when it's on the charger, even when i had 94% battery.  Maybe they're checking battery life wrong somewhere, some little defect of .25 vs 25 lol who knows, but the important thing is...TRY doing it when it's on the charger.

When I put mine on the charger my music started synching as long as my phone was close enough, even without that wifi screen or force sync.

My playlists refreshed.

Moderator edit:  format

Best Answer
0 Votes

Second thing I learned was that the Windows 10 Desktop App exists (not the same as opening the Fitbit page on your browser) and is a way to check if it is your phone that is the problem.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Third thing is that the bluetooth error you get when trying to Force Sync to happen...the error isn't about bluetooth, it's about wifi.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This will be my last fitbit. WAY too many problems. Get the wifi fixed so we can transfer music - I have already done all the troubleshooting tips provided and this piece of **ahem** still doesn't work. I wish I would have known this before I got it. 

Best Answer

So I have been trying for months to perform the new update - it never completes despite trying all "solutions" and now I can't even use any apps on the watch (and clock barely stays). I got closer last night (up to 49%) and it failed (this was after uninstalling the Ionic from bluetooth, a million restarts, uninstall/reinstall app). Now it won't even find the wifi despite sitting on top of the router or next to the router, plugged in/not plugged in (it's fully charged).

Therefore now I can do absolutely NOTHING with the watch (and I've even done the shutdown on the watch - after several tries and restarts to get the settings app to open). 

I'm at a loss and also frustrated by the amount of money paid for a fitness watch that doesn't work at all now, or consistently. The green lights underneath even stopped blinking - I've tried over and over to restart and nothing.

Open to any other solution but I have tried everything on this board and others. 

Best Answer
Spoiler
I also couldn’t find my WiFi network which is through Shaw. So I flipped my router over, and there I found the generic name for my router. I looked at my iPhone and whallah there it was listed on my available WiFi networks. So I clicked on the network which was some odd combination of letters and numbers. Next, I entered the generic password that was also found underneath my router. It finally connected!!!!! Now I can turn on notifications. See if it works now. 
Best Answer
0 Votes

is there going to be a fix anytime soon for the Ionic to connect to WiFi. I have done all the troubleshooting tips and nothing works. It just keeps searching and searching- this happened since the update- when will this be fixed? You can't advertise it can download or even stream playlists if you can't get the music on the watch. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dwayne73 have you contacted Fitbit yet on you WiFi issue? 

Once setup the WiFi will get turned on only while the ionic is charging. At this time the ionic should connect to your local WiFi. 

Best Answer

No, nothing helps. It's almost 2020 an we are talkign about wifi issues on a forum

get a grip fitbit 

Moderator edit:  format and Word choice

Best Answer
0 Votes

@enzamatic yes, your watch is designed to only have WiFi on while the unit is on its charger and charging. 

Even with a full battery, WiFi will not be turned on less the unit is charging. 

Therefore what you are describing is what should be expected. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you SO much for that - a little detail that no one has mentioned before (as far as I could see) Thank you, thank you, thank you 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I can’t connect to my WiFi. I know it connected once or twice. The troubleshooting steps don’t work. Will try again later. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I discovered that it has to be charging (thanks to someone else here) I
hope that works for you too ☺️
Best Answer
0 Votes

It was charging. I was doing exactly all the things that should work and don't. After I updated and tried to download a watch face, it had disconnected and won't connect again. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Ah.... Sorry to hear that - unfortunately I have no other ideas, sorry I
wasn't any help...

--

Take no one, nor anything for granted. Appreciate everyone and everything -
life will always be wonderful...

and don´t forget...

Fortune favours the bold 😉

[image: Mailtrack]

Sender
notified by