Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it even possible to set Ionic up without a phone app?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

According to the Fitbit web page, I should be able to use Ionic with my computer.  But after I downloaded the file to my computer, the steps take me to a hard stop, saying the "wireless sync dongle is disconnected" and requiring me to add an app to my phone.  To my knowledge, Ionic doesn't come with a "wireless sync dongle."  

Has anyone figured out how to set up an Ionic without using their phone?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I guess it is using Bluetooth Low Energy BLE from Bluetooth 4.0 - you should verify that your computer supports that, I guess many computers don't.

I managed to sync my Ionic with the Surface Book 2 today. I only did this because the last two days (after the fix that supposedly fixes all Bluetooth issues) I wasn't able to sync with my Android. 

Funnily enough, after disconnecting from the PC i was able (after a while) to sync with the phone again.

I love the Ionic for its programmability and others, so I will stick around, but it can be frustrating at times, especially because I experiment with development, and it is annoying when you can't get it to sync so you can't do your software projects.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

Does your computer have a built in Bluetooth?  If not, you will need to purchase a dongle from the Fitbit store.

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, it does, but it hasn't been able to find my Ionic.  After reading about all the problems people seem to be having I'm thinking about just sending the Ionic back and going another route.  Looks like the potential to be more trouble than it's worth, and I've only had it a day.

Best Answer

I guess it is using Bluetooth Low Energy BLE from Bluetooth 4.0 - you should verify that your computer supports that, I guess many computers don't.

I managed to sync my Ionic with the Surface Book 2 today. I only did this because the last two days (after the fix that supposedly fixes all Bluetooth issues) I wasn't able to sync with my Android. 

Funnily enough, after disconnecting from the PC i was able (after a while) to sync with the phone again.

I love the Ionic for its programmability and others, so I will stick around, but it can be frustrating at times, especially because I experiment with development, and it is annoying when you can't get it to sync so you can't do your software projects.

Best Answer

Thank you!  I've never much luck with fitbit.  I just want one that I can't easily lose, that i don't have to disassemble to charge, and that will actually sync.  I thought that if I went for the top-of-the-line model that maybe it would work! lol

Best Answer
0 Votes