Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Ionic nickel free?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Is the ionic nickel free? I do well with the blaze, but am concerened with the back of the ionic.

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity 

Best Answer
0 Votes
20 REPLIES 20

The information says it is Aluminium, so I would assume that means no Nickel. Youd need to check with Fitbit to be sure though.

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

And the nice thing about the Ionic is it has a uni-body design. So if it's aluminum, it's all aluminum!

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

We are not sure of the clasp.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just got mine today. The box says contains nickels. I also have a nickel allergy but I’m going to try it and hope it’s just a trace amount and being bother me. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm getting a reaction from the case and the clasp which I've never had with a watch before, people in other threads have been saying that at least the clasp contains nickel, but given the state of my wrist, I'm running with the case does too. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

There seems to be nickel where the charging port goes on the pins. I got a burn and I have a nickel allergy. 

Best Answer

I have a nickel allergy that is pretty severe.  The clasp of the Ionic is VERY problematic for me.  Look for a product called Plastidip if you decide to get one.  

Best Answer

If there is stainless steel in any part of the construction then there is nickel. Stainless is an alloy of chrome and nickel.

Fixed wing aircraft (F-4J, F-4S), Fighter Squadrons: VF-171, VF-31, VF-103.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the PlastiDip tip.  I have a Charge (owned for 2+ years and only 'now' using it) and after 2 days the skin is pealing off my wrist.  I guess I have an allergy too.  I'm a bit put out by the FitBit commentary about observing 'hygiene'.  I've worn a wrist watch for 15 years (which is quite tight now that I'm older and fatter since receiving it as a gift on my 40th) and I've never had a problem with that!  Do you know if that product you recommend affects the FitBit sensors in any way?  Just wondering - otherwise I'll throw out the device - can't wear it.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have only used it on the clasp of the wristband. I'm pretty confident it
would damage the sensors or at least coat them and make them unusable.
There is another product called Nickel Guard that can be painted on that
would be better for the case in order to avoid the sensors.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for the help. I'll definitely look into it.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the help.  I'll definitely look into it.

🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well I just bought the Ionic online and received it today to read contains nickel on the box.  Great I know I have the allergy I can only hope it’s trace elements but looking at some pictures of people wrists I don’t hold out much hope. This was supposedly an upgrade from the blaze which I have never had a problem with. Only got it because I swim regularly. So much for progress. 

Moderator edit: word choice

Best Answer
0 Votes

Your Blaze is also is not nickle free. Both use medical grade stainless steel that conforms to the European standards. All stainless steel contains some amount of nickle .

As for those arm pictures, I havent noticed many. if any, on the ionic board. Most are simply a reaction from improper cleaning, and why it takes months of wear bed Pete a reaction shows up .How many times have we read, "I've had no problem for six months but today I woke up.... ". Really who switched your tracker last week without telling you? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

While I’m sure that hygiene is an issue many times, I just got my brand new Charge 5 delivered yesterday evening. I had not even had a chance to exercise yet, before heading off to bed. I decided to sleep with it to use the sleep tracker. I woke up in the night with my wrist itching where the sensor is located. The top layer of skin peeled right off. I went back to sleep and woke up later with sharp burning pains and irritation from that same area. This was not a hygienic issue. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

All stainless steel has some nickle in it. Fitbit uses medical grade Stainless steel that meets the note stringent EU a standards 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have been fighting skin problems for years, since about the time I got my Ionic Fitbit.  I have consulted at least 3 doctors, no one could figure out what the cause was of the skin issue.  As soon as I stopped wearing my Ionic, which I have had for about 3 years, my skin issues started to clear up.  I think it’s from an allergy to the nickel in the Ionic. I ordered a Sense to replace it when they recalled the Ionic and the first thing listed on the box was that it has nickel. I’m sending it back. 

Moderator edit: word choice

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Kathywent. Please be aware that stainless steel is made of chrome, nickel and other trace metals.

Fixed wing aircraft (F-4J, F-4S), Fighter Squadrons: VF-171, VF-31, VF-103.
Best Answer
0 Votes

As with the other models, Fitbit used medical grade Stainless steel that meets the EU more stringent standards. Yes like all Stainless Steel it contains a small amount of nickle 

Best Answer
0 Votes