Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mileage is calculating incorrectly, might be a problem with Fitibit in general and not the Ionic.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I had this problem with my old Blaze, which led to my estimated calories burned being way off.

My stride is currently set at 30.3 inches.  So far today, I have taken 6,542 steps (slow day).  Calculating distance (30.3 / 12 = 2.525 x 6,542 = 16,518.55 / 5,280 = 3.12 miles).  However, the app lists that I have only walked 2.74 miles, so it is 0.38 miles off.  

My Blaze always over estimated my calories, and now I know why.  I used to set my stride much longer than it actually is so that the mileage was correct, and in doing so, my calories were overestimated by roughly 20%.

This has to be a problem with the way Fitbit calculates mileage.  Has anyone else noticed a similar error?

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

Keep in mind that there's walking and running stride length.

If you think that you can just multiply the number of steps per the stride length to get the right distance you might be doing things wrong.

The device, on the other hand, knows (or should know) how many steps should be multiplied by the running stride length and how many should be multiplied by the walking one.

The easiest option would be to run at least once using connected GPS so the satellite measures the distance and then Fitbit will automatically update the default stride length.

Or, you could manually measure both and let the app do its thing.

Keep in mind that I said connected GPS because of the fact that everyone seems to be complaining that the Ionic GPS distance is very inaccurate (which I have not been able to confirm on my own because I don't really use it that much but hey, they can't all be wrong).

狂乱 Hey Kids!
Best Answer
0 Votes

What I'm saying is that I know my walking stride length and once it has been set, the distance calculation is wrong.

I wasn't aware the Ionic had connected GPS.  I have found the built in GPS to be very accurate. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@mgeorgalas wrote:

I wasn't aware the Ionic had connected GPS.  I have found the built in GPS to be very accurate. 

It doesn't. But you had a Blaze so I thought you could use that to set an automatic stride length that would actually be accurate. Nevertheless, if you find your Ionic's GPS to be very accurate, then you'll be good with setting it to automatic and just using that to get a nice stride length with the built in GPS.

They point of my response really wasn't whether the stride length is right or wrong (even though I added some suggestions on how to keep it sharp). Instead, I wanted to point out that the math is wrong on your end because you're calculating the distance as if all the steps you got in that day were recorded while walking (or as if your walking and running stride length is exactly the same).

狂乱 Hey Kids!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Every step was from walking though.  I actually have my stride perfect for running, though now I question if the calorie information is correct. 

The issue is my walking stride is set to 30.3 and fitbit is calculating my mileage using a stride of approximately 26 inches. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Nevermind, you're right.

If both are correct (which they are) the total distance will never be less than multipliying the walking stride length and the steps.

Super weird that this sort of thing is happening. ¿Have you contacted customer support?

狂乱 Hey Kids!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Not yet, I wanted to see if anyone else had the issue, that and I thought they looked through these posts.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

It doesn't seem like they do.

At this point, I really don't have a clue. I don't think there's any issues with the math so it must be that the watch is just not giving you anything for some of the steps that it does record.

狂乱 Hey Kids!
Best Answer
0 Votes