Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Ionic heart rate monitor is inaccurate

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Ionic heart rate monitor is waaaay off when I work out.  As soon as I start running, it immediately jumps to 160-180, when my actual heart rate (measured either manually or with another device like the treadmill heart rate monitor) is actually closer to 110.  This happens every single time I run.  

Aside from this it appears to work normally (though it reads about 10% higher than my manual reads).  The funny thing is that my old Surge developed exactly the same problem when it was about 18 months old (it had worked perfectly until then, but then started giving crazy heart rate readings when I exercised).  

Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

Best Answer
110 REPLIES 110
I've given up on Fitbit, they sent me a new one  after several communications  with customer services, even though I didn't ask for one, I would have preferred  them to resolve the problem! The new unit has the same problem! I suggested it might be my age but the advice I was given  was to see my Doctor,! I am surprised that Fitbit continue to advertise on Facebook because of the adverse  comments  they receive. I am very disappointed as I am a, fan of Fitbit so I will continue to use  my Ionic for everything but heart rate monitoring!Sent from Samsung tablet.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I noticed if you tighten your watch 1 notch tighter the hr readings are more accurate. It will feel a lil tight in the beginning, but once you start to sweat it feels better. 

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Best Answer
Thank you I will try that.Take care,WilfSent from Samsung tablet.
Best Answer
0 Votes

This has nothing to do with the way we wear the fitbit, it is a software problem and fitbit is aware of it, and according to them it happens with ALL the ionics, therefore every ionic user is getting wrong readings when tracking exercises (between 20 and 40 bpm higher than real).

Best Answer
0 Votes

There are many negative comments on facebook?  I don't go there anymore. Everytime I feel like a want to share my view and hear from others in a larger independent forum like facebook, there is just too much junk to get through.

I hate to say it, but it looks like this company is circling the drain. My last call to customer service was about difficulty syncing and I was told that my Android phone isn't compatible with my tracker. I have an LG V30 on Verizon. I didn't get an error message or warning from Fitbit when I first paired my tracker with my phone. I didn't get this response when the tracker was still under warranty and I called multiple times. Only when the tracker is out of warranty and they can hide behind that, do they come out with "your model phone isn't compatible with the Ionic". Though I'm sure it is in some fine print somewhere.  And it isn't like the V30 is some unusual phone. It has been a very popular android phone which had the best reviews on the Verizon wireless site the last time I was looking for a new phone.

As soon as they told me my phone model isn't compatible, I told them I want to return the device. I was told that the unit is too old to return.  If your software is going to allow me to pair with "an incompatible device" without a warning, then you shouldn't refuse restitution when it is asked for. I was a pretty early adopter of Fibit and spoke praise of the customer service experience. It has changed as wall street is watching their numbers like a hawk and they are desperate to show that they are growing their revenue. Even when they aren't delivering an adequate product.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for stopping by @Wilf18@Davidfernan85 and @jivehonky. Welcome to the Fitbit Forums @ralonso-mori. You can check this post to know how to add an image to your post.

I appreciate all the efforts in trying to fix this situation contacting support. Thanks for sharing your comments and your feedback about what you're experiencing with your Ionic.

As mentioned before our Support Team can provide you more details about their decision.

If there is anything else I can help you with, do not hesitate to post it.

GraceG | French and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

On ne voit bien qu’avec le cœur. L’essentiel est invisible pour les yeux. ♥

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello Fitbit Community,

It looks like this problem has been around for more than a year!  I spent $289 on a Fitbit Ionic.  When I workout, my heart rate on my watch says in the 150's.  I know 100% it was in the high 140's for more than a few minutes.  The heart rate is accurate, however, when I sync it to my phone, the data is not accurately recorded.

I synced my watch to my iPhone and Computer and it says my highest heart rate today was 142!  This is NOT acceptable, Fitbit.  Not for $289!  Can someone please tell me if there is a way to fix this?

Eileen

Best Answer
0 Votes
It would appear not, customer services state they are aware there is a problem and they are working to fix it. They have been since the product came out!!!Wilf.Sent from Samsung tablet.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yep me too. I was a serious runner until I was 48. Started again c25k nearly there at age 67. Used to use a chest monitor and polar which was great. Just bought a Fitbit ionic- gps tracker is great, can’t seem to put music on it yet, but biggest issue is the heart monitor. Works fine and is accurate at complete rest but when running shoots up immediately to 160 and stays there for the duration of the run

iwill there be a software upgrade to sort this?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for reaching out and providing your feedback @Wilf18 and @EileenCat. Hey @Trazj, it's nice to see that you're digging into the Fitbit Forums.

I'm very sorry to hear that you're having problems with the heart rate on your activities not being accurate.  Thanks for all that you've tried to get your heart rate to be accurate. I would like to know it you have already checked @MarreFitbit post

As with all heart-rate tracking technology, accuracy is affected by personal physiology, location of wear, and type of movement.

When you’re not exercising, wear your device a finger’s width above your wrist bone. Fitbit’s PurePulse technology is designed to be most accurate when you wear your device on the top of your wrist.
User-added image
For improved heart-rate accuracy, keep these tips in mind:

1. Experiment with wearing the device higher on your wrist during exercise for an improved fit and more accurate heart-rate reading. Many exercises such as bike riding or weight lifting cause you to bend your wrist frequently, which could interfere with the heart-rate signal if the watch is lower on your wrist. 
    User-added image
  2. Make sure the device is in contact with your skin.
  3. Do not wear your device too tight; a tight band restricts blood flow, potentially affecting the heart-rate signal. That being said, the device should also be slightly tighter (snug but not constricting) during exercise than during all-day wear.
  4. With high-intensity interval training, boxing, or other activities where your wrist is moving vigorously and non-rhythmically, the movement may prevent the sensor from finding an accurate heart rate. Similarly, with exercises such as weight lifting or rowing, your wrist muscles may flex in such a way that the band tightens and loosens during exercise. Try relaxing your wrist and staying still briefly (about 10 seconds), after which you should see an accurate heart-rate reading. Note that your device will still provide accurate calorie burn readings during these types of exercise by analyzing your heart rate trends over the course of the workout.

Hope you guys find this helpful and if you need anything else, I'm here to help!😺

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Trazj in my case I observe something similar, however, I do control that ( nice to see my HR on the machine, I wanna keep my HR high for a longer time ). Running with a fixed pace and cadence is the only case when Ionic HR works for me quite well:

pixlr_20190417194354688.jpg

3km treadmill run with a fixed pace of 4:26 and cadence of 186. Ionic comes quite close to the chest-strap ( picture below ). But any exercise that changes intensity gives me rather useless readings. I got used to that and when exercising I use chest-strap as the main HR sensor.

pixlr_20190417195147793.jpg

This is a circuit workout, not very hard and as much as average BPM is quite close, the pattern registered by Ionic is nothing like the one from chest-strap. On the bottom graph, it's even possible to count circuit sets ( from ~20:00 ) as it registers a very regular pattern. I don't know, maybe I want too much from the HR sensor. Also, zones breakdown makes a lot more sense to me in the bottom graph. The worst results I get during cycling, weight training ( very often no readings, just two dashes ) and climbing. I posted plenty of examples in the past. These two are the best I ever got. If one wants to have this kind of accuracy that you can even count sets of exercises then I would recommend the chest strap rather than wrist HR. Ionic works the way it does and I don't think it can change.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for that.
I went out for a 5k today and positioned the ionic further up my wrist, a
bit tighter and on the inside ie watch on the inside of wrist. It seemed to
work better. This time gradually going up to 155 then dropping back to
about 140 going up and down from there depending on hills. So at least not
sat on 165 scaring me to death.
I’m going to get a chest strap though as you suggest.
Best
Trazj
--
Trevor Cook

Moderator edit: Removed personal information.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I tried the Fitbit tighter but it made no difference, I will try it on the inside of the wrist next! I still think they are selling a product that is not fit for purpose if used as directed, leaving it to the customer to try and find a solution.Sent from Samsung tablet.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes I agree. When I used it first it scared me into stopping because it was
up over 165. I felt ok but it doesn’t take much to put you off when you are
starting over again at my age.
Everything I’ve read says that the 220 minus the age is an average and the
max rate for you could be wildly different. I’m going to try to get it
checked so I know if I’m in a danger zone.
Best
Trazj
--
Trevor Cook

Best Answer
0 Votes
Trevor, I am 78 and when I run Fitbit gives my heart rate between 180 and 190 and I believe the max should be 140 with possible spikes up to about 150. I am lucky I had a triple heart bypass with no ongoing problems now I rely on my body to tell me I am overdoing it!Sent from Samsung tablet.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey @SunsetRunner, @Trazj and @Wilf18, I hope you're doing well! Thanks for sharing your experience with the Fitbit Ionic. 

Fitbit has been designed to provide motivation and help our users to reach their daily goals to success. Please know that we provide feedback to our team based on community posts and we are always working on improving our devices based on that feedback.

Thank you for your understanding. Have a nice weekend!

Best Answer
0 Votes

The most useful thing that the ionic could be improved on is to allow it to
link to the polar h10 or similar. It is good at everything else but HR
apart from at rest. It actually scared me into stopping the other day it
was reading so high.
Or bring your own ecg type strap out.
--

Best Answer
0 Votes

i have the high reading also.when it fails it goes to the 160-190 range.does it for most bike rides now and i know its wrong when i am no working hard ....ps..i am 82 years old and i dont see those numbers anymore

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes I know how you feel, my parkrun this morning gave an average of 162bpm with a high of 182bpm. Like you these numbers are  not achievable at my age so now I disregard them and I don't bother complaining  anymore as there is a problem that they can't seem to resolve!Sent from Samsung tablet.
Best Answer

Thanks for posting your inquiry here @Garwood, welcome to the Fitbit Community. I'm sorry to hear about these discrepancies. Thanks @Wilf18 for sharing your comments. 

@GarwoodI would like to know if you have checked Marre's recommendations?

These discrepancies in your heart-rate readings, can be caused by the type of exercise or the position of the device may be the cause. See our help article for more information: How do I track my heart rate with my Fitbit device?How close and high on the arm are you wearing your device? Is this happening only when you swim? Had you already restart your Ionic? 

If you have any further questions, please let me know. Have a nice weekend! Cat Very Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes