Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Ionic won't stay connected to my phone after the update

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

After updating to the latest firmware my Fitbit Ionic has become useless. Even though it shows that it is connected to my phone in my bluetooth connections screen. I also cannot get it to connect to WiFi even after several attempts and ensuring the password to the network is connected properly.

- I have restarted both my phone and the Ionic.

- I have unpaired the Ionic from my phone and paired it again in the Bluetooth settings.

- I have conducted a full factory reset and gone through all the setup steps. Completing this took a couple of days because the Ionic would not stay connected so I had to keep reconnecting it to my phone so it could complete the setup.

After all of that it seemed to be working. But I woke up this morning and the problems are back. It isn't even useful as a watch because the time is off by 15 minutes.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@DLFreeman I am 100% sure your Ionic isn't faulty.  The fault is probably the 'update', especially if your Ionic was fine before the update.

As you can see from that thread at the top there are loads of people with the same problem.

Fitbits firmware has ruined so many Ionics and Versas but they wont accept liability for it. The best you'll get, out of warranty, is a BS discount to buy another one of their products.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
15 REPLIES 15

Hi @DLFreeman,

Out of curiosity, is the Fitbit app on the phone updated and what platform are you using?

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit app is up to date (my phone is setupautomatically updates apps every night when updates are available)

Fitbit firmware was recently updated

Using a Samsung Galaxy A71 5g. It is running Android 11 and has been working fine with this fitbit for over a year.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @DLFreeman,

Is the Fitbit app cache cleared on your phone?

Best Answer

Yes it has been. I have also tried fully Uninstaller and reinstalling the app.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @DLFreeman,

I'm thinking it's something wrong with your Ionic.  Have you contact Support already?  You can get in touch with them via the link at the bottom of the screen.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have, shortly after I created this post. They seem to think the same as you. It's frustrating that a device I spent nearly $300 on just over a year ago is no longer functional and the best they can do is send me a link to buy a replacement. Not sure I want to stick with fitbit. I have been using their fitness trackers for years, but if this I how it is now I'm seriously considering other options. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@DLFreeman I am 100% sure your Ionic isn't faulty.  The fault is probably the 'update', especially if your Ionic was fine before the update.

As you can see from that thread at the top there are loads of people with the same problem.

Fitbits firmware has ruined so many Ionics and Versas but they wont accept liability for it. The best you'll get, out of warranty, is a BS discount to buy another one of their products.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm waiting to hear back from Fitbit as my SECOND Ionic refuses to stay connects to GPS even though I have my phone with me when I run.  I've had this one a month and it has never connected properly.  My first one went exactly the same way as yours is now - it was the wrong time and could lose a full days worth of activity when trying to sync.  This one is worse as it doesn't work even 50% of the time.  At least my first one worked for a few months without issue.  I'm refusing another Ionic as I think there must be an issue with them because I run in a club with people who have a variety of devices including other models of Fitbit and mine is the only one week upon week that fails.  

Best Answer

You're 100% correct regarding how this played out. I bought the Ionic in April of 2020. So I'm out of warranty. After a useless chat session with support they sent me an email for 30% off a new fitbit.

But why would I spend money on another device from them when I can't trust they won't release another forced update that bricks that device? I'm not sending them another penny until I have reason to believe they have adequate Q/A in place.

Best Answer

Same issue here….. I’ve actually purchased New Ionics and returned 2 already due to this issue and got new ones. I came to the conclusion it had to be from Fitbit and now I’ve found this forum. Very disappointed in Fitbit for this….. I’ve always stood by the product, reliability, and customer service. If this issue doesn’t get fixed, I’m switching to Apple Watch!!

Best Answer

@DLFreeman and @C.T.  I haven't updated my Ionic as its a replacement from just over a month ago.  It works absolutely fine, much better than the one it replaced.

I would love to see the new firmware update coding get properly scrutinised by an independent body who don't have skin in the game and see their results published.

I wouldn't be surprised if its not already being done as there are a lot of pi$$£d off owners of bricks now.

Best Answer

This round I double checked and I have the updated version that was put out in mid to late July. When I first commented on this, I was resetting everything and re connecting the watch. Wouldn’t you know it’s already messed up and dropped the watch again….. Uggghhh time to break out the Best Buy card and get an Apple Watch

😂🤷‍:male_sign:

Best Answer
0 Votes

I wanna confirm if we have same problem .   

Here's my situation .the APP always remove my ionic automatically, so i have to link ionic again.   Couple mins or hours later,  APP remove ionic again..

Best Answer
0 Votes

No, your problem is different than mine. My Ionic simply won't connect to anything via Bluetooth or WiFi. So it won't sync. If I do a factory reset, it works until the setup process forces me to load the latest firmware. Once that happens it stops working.

Best Answer
0 Votes
No mine does not do this... The GPS will not connect.
Best Answer
0 Votes