Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nest app, "you cannot adjust when in Eco mode" message

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

What a shame, I have a nest and this was the 1 app I was excited about.  First, it would not work unless connected to the phone... So I  that case why not just use your nest app on your phone? 

Also, it turns out, you cannot adjust your thermostat at all from the Ionic, just look at it.  I tried first and it said, "you cannot adjust when in Eco mode, please adjust from you thermostat." 

Next I opened my phone and turned off eco mode, the went to the ionic and it said "cannot adjust when in heat-cool mode, pleas was just from your thermostat".  So what exactly is the point of this app? 

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity

Best Answer
24 REPLIES 24

This is not a fitbit app and needs to be taken up with the people who created it

https://nest.com/app/

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

@WendyB wrote:

This is not a fitbit app and needs to be taken up with the people who created it

I don't need to take it up with anyone, just letting the community know that it is completely worthless,and a waste of time. 

Best Answer

That's fine, @racertempo but please remember what is one person's trash may be another's persons treasure. 

You have given your experisnce, please don't speak for everyone.. It could very well be that someone might just want to see the current temp. 

As for as needing a phone to communicate through. The app needs to communicate with the Nest. Their is two ways this could be done. 

- Through WiFi. Wifi is only turned on when the unit is charging. 

- Through Bluetooth needs to have a path to best. This requires some device to receive the Bluetooth signals them pass them on to WiFi so the WiFi router can pass them on to the nest. 

Which path is looks like the better option. Having to charge, or needing the phone within 50 feet. 

Best Answer

@WendyB wrote:

I can see why some would say it was a Fitbit app, on the basis of Fitbit putting their name to it and the help page going to a Fitbit web page 😉

That aside @racertempo, you should, from the info provided, be able to adjust the temp and do a few other useful things too. Unfortunately I don't have Nest, using Honeywell Evohome instead, so can't comment on its ability to work, sorry.

153F4A3C-D0D6-42A3-A6F9-39B039E8478B.png

Best Answer

@WendyB wrote:

But it is a fitbit app (meaning, it looks like fitbit is the developer here).

That said, I do have a Nest so anxiously tried this out.  The app works for me -- can adjust temp, etc.  It does require you have your phone -- I suppose this may be more of a limitation of the platform?  That is, I don't know if apps can use the wifi / internet without going through the phone.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:

@WendyB wrote:

I can see why some would say it was a Fitbit app, on the basis of Fitbit putting their name to it and the help page going to a Fitbit web page 😉

That aside @racertempo, you should, from the info provided, be able to adjust the temp and do a few other useful things too. Unfortunately I don't have Nest, using Honeywell Evohome instead, so can't comment on its ability to work, sorry.

153F4A3C-D0D6-42A3-A6F9-39B039E8478B.png

Correct, you "should" be able to adjust, but you can't, hence..... worthless. 

Best Answer

So I guess this app is really dead.  There are a few functions that are supposed to but still are not.  Sad, I expected Nest to do better. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@racertempo wrote:

Sad, I expected Nest to do better. 

Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 7.47.43 PM.png

Doesn't the word "Fitbit" under the app name mean that Fitbit is the app developer?

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer

@bbarrera wrote:

@racertempo wrote:

Sad, I expected Nest to do better. 

Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 7.47.43 PM.png

Doesn't the word "Fitbit" under the app name mean that Fitbit is the app developer?

Yes that's correct, this is definitely a fitbit developed app. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer

If the best app is so bad, why not use the IFTTT app. It has the ability to connect to more units. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@N8teGee wrote:

Yes that's correct, this is definitely a fitbit developed app. 

Ionically (sorry - I've been wanting to write that for a while now!), Ironically even Fitbit Support told me it was a third-party developed app in a response to a few problems that I emailed them about - I need to go back to them and will point this out in the process 😉

captain_caveman2k | UK
Ionic (Retired: Charge HR, Returned: Microsoft Band II)
Alienware 15 R2 (Windows 10), Lumia 950 (Windows 10 Mobile), Xbox One S
Best Answer

@cc2k On an entirely different subject, your sig (Fitbit Ionic (Charge HR retired and Microsoft Band II returned), Alienware 15 R2 with Windows 10, Lumia 950 with Windows 10, Xbox One S) made me laugh, in that I can duplicate all of it, except having an 15” R3, oh and I’ve also retired the 950.

Best Answer

@Rich_Laue wrote:

If the best app is so bad, why not use the IFTTT app. It has the ability to connect to more units. 

Rich, are you just wanting to add to you post totals?  There is no IFTTT app on the Ionic, and the Android App for Nest is great........but no one on here is talking about that. 

We are wopnding why the Nest app on the Ionic does not work as intended, and is getting no attention or mention even though it was developed by Fitbit.

Best Answer

@WendyB wrote:

I did, it was fitbit created.....the android app is perfect.  The Fitbit Ionic App is garbage.  

WendyB, why would you provide a link to an android app in a form and thread about a Fitbit Ionic app.  You know they are different things, right?

Best Answer

I've got to agree with @racertempo - the app is utterly useless in my opinion...

Whether the problems are down to other factors such as Bluetooth Connectivity, Sync'ing, W-Fi or problems in the Phone App I really don't know but I feel this app has been released far too early and without sufficient testing.

I know some are going to criticise me for being on Windows and having a Lumia 950 but I used to work in the mobile industry as a mobile developer (Nokia, Sony Ericsson and preferred supplier to Motorola) and I really love the platform (Have had a LG Optimus 7 as a developer device then a Lumia 820, 920 and now a 950 as my everyday phones) but unfortunately there isn't a Nest App for Windows (Whether that is down to politics between Google / Alphabet and Microsoft or because they believe the user base was and now is too small who knows) and whilst the web app scales pretty well, it isn't perfect.

As such I was really looking forward to the Nest App on my Ionic, but like all the "Smart Watch" features I am trying to use it fails miserably:

* Weather App often displays no data.

* Strava App seems to take hours to get my run data back even though the upload to Strava happens in minutes of being near my phone.

* Nest App constantly displays "Bluetooth Connection Error" and on the odd occasion it does connect I cannot change temperature or set/unset away mode.

* Wallet App isn't supported on Windows yet - either in the desktop UWP app or on Mobile

* Fitbit Pay only supports two "unknown" banks in the UK

As such, I really feel the Ionic is really expensive "Tracker", at present, compared to say my old Microsoft Band 2 - At least the Ionic's hardware seems superior - I just hope the software gets there 😉

captain_caveman2k | UK
Ionic (Retired: Charge HR, Returned: Microsoft Band II)
Alienware 15 R2 (Windows 10), Lumia 950 (Windows 10 Mobile), Xbox One S
Best Answer

@cc2k wrote:

I know some are going to criticise me for being on Windows and having a Lumia 950 but I used to work in the mobile industry as a mobile developer

I'm not going to criticize, just pointing out that pragmatically Microsoft didn't help things by not keeping pace with how app developers like Fitbit were interacting with iOS and Android notification centers (specifically, GATT server portion of BLE stack). Fitbit seems to have worked hard at supporting Windows mobile, but hard to see how management at Fitbit is going to keep investing in the platform after MS announced it would no longer actively develop Windows 10 mobile. Sucks for those that loved the platform, I'm sorry.

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer
0 Votes

Like one of the other commenters above, my Ionic Nest app works well, I can adjust temps just fine...perhaps something is up with your setup?  Or it is broken on some mobile devices? I'm using an iPhone with my watch.

Best Answer

No one above said it works fine.  You are the first person on here who has said it works fine and adjusts temperatures.  Maybe it works better with the iPhone. 

@minigno wrote:

Like one of the other commenters above, my Ionic Nest app works well, I can adjust temps just fine...perhaps something is up with your setup?  Or it is broken on some mobile devices? I'm using an iPhone with my watch.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@racertempo wrote:

No one above said it works fine.  You are the first person on here who has said it works fine and adjusts temperatures.  Maybe it works better with the iPhone. 

@minigno wrote:

bhwolf: ‎12-29-2017 12:13

"That said, I do have a Nest so anxiously tried this out.  The app works for me -- can adjust temp, etc.  It does require you have your phone -- I suppose this may be more of a limitation of the platform?  That is, I don't know if apps can use the wifi / internet without going through the phone.  "

Best Answer
0 Votes