Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No charger, short cable

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Am I the only one who thinks that it's a bit stingy of them not to supply a charger and to give us a very short cable for a £300 watch!

I will do my best to avoid buying accessories from these people.

Best Answer
18 REPLIES 18

Well from my pov I'm glad they didn't. I have more than enough USB adaptors / chargers and the cable is plenty long enough. 

Think of the environment; most people have USB chargers. No need for anymore landfill.

Best Answer

If environment is going to be an argument @SunsetRunner then they should have gone with a more common connection, like USB-C or micro-USB. Then they could have skipped the cable all toghter. Right now I will have to buy more cables to have lying around when the one provided (inevitably) is hiding when I need it.

Best Answer

^^ This.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:

If environment is going to be an argument @SunsetRunner then they should have gone with a more common connection, like USB-C or micro-USB. Then they could have skipped the cable all toghter. Right now I will have to buy more cables to have lying around when the one provided (inevitably) is hiding when I need it.

Every journey status with a single step 😉 but yes, I wish they'd unify their cables though neither USB options would've been waterproof.

Best Answer
0 Votes

^ This.

Neither USB-C or micro-USB are waterproof.

Best Answer

Not sure I want to charge my watch in the swimming pool, regardless:

http://www.electronicspecifier.com/cables-and-connecting/usb-type-c-cables-and-connector-are-waterpr...

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:

Not sure I want to charge my watch in the swimming pool, regardless:

http://www.electronicspecifier.com/cables-and-connecting/usb-type-c-cables-and-connector-are-waterproofed

It has nothing to do with the conditions under which you charge your device, more the device side interface for USB-C and micro-USB are not waterproof and as such, any device with either of those interfaces will not be waterproof as well.

Best Answer

I'm sure there are waterproof cameras etc out there using USB.

They could of course adopt QI wireless charging.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:

I'm sure there are waterproof cameras etc out there using USB.

They could of course adopt QI wireless charging.

Waterproof as in waterproof down to 164' (50 meters)?  Please point me to such a camera with an in-built USB port.

Best Answer

Ignored my wireless charging point.

Google :

Fujifilm FinePix XP90

Somehow they managed to make their usb waterproof.

Regardless I am the OP, please refer to the first post. That's my main point.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is it not possible to "waterproof" a usb-c port then? My phone has one and is water resistant. I know this is nowhere near a 50m rating and is more of an insurance policy type of thing, but is it not possible to further its resistance? I guess the best option would have been to have inductive charging.

As far as I'm concerned though, the lack of wall plug is just cost cutting. It's always been the way with Fitbit devices. If it was for the environment they wouldn't change the connector port for every new device. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Per the specs, the XP90 is only waterproof to 15 meters and for durations less than two hours; far less waterproof than the Ionic's 50 meter limit.

As for not using a wall adapter or other charger, my understanding is Fitbit devices are rather sensitive to power fluctuations from the grid, and while some folks get away with using wall chargers, others have destroyed their trackers by charging via a source other than a nice clean USB power cable coming from a PC.

I can only theorize here, but by only including a cable, Fitbit is trying to ensure folks charge from PCs versus the wall.

Best Answer

@shipo wrote:

Per the specs, the XP90 is only waterproof to 15 meters and for durations less than two hours; far less waterproof than the Ionic's 50 meter limit.

You keep changing the boundaries, earlier you said it was not waterproof *period*

I'm sure if I spent half the day I could find that as well and you are still ignoring my wireless charging comments or projecting hyperbole. Devices can charge wirelessly you know 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@shipo wrote:

Waterproof as in waterproof down to 164' (50 meters)?  Please point me to such a camera with an in-built USB port.

@SunsetRunner wrote:

You keep changing the boundaries, earlier you said it was not waterproof *period*

As you can see, I didn't change anything.

FitAlexS wrote: 

I'm sure if I spent half the day I could find that as well and you are still ignoring my wireless charging comments or projecting hyperbole. Devices can charge wirelessly you know 

I cannot speak to what it takes to imbue a device the size of the Ionic with wireless charging capabilities; for all I know the technology is either too large or too expensive to put into a package of this size and at this price point.

Best Answer

@shipo wrote:

As for not using a wall adapter or other charger, my understanding is Fitbit devices are rather sensitive to power fluctuations from the grid, and while some folks get away with using wall chargers, others have destroyed their trackers by charging via a source other than a nice clean USB power cable coming from a PC.

I can only theorize here, but by only including a cable, Fitbit is trying to ensure folks charge from PCs versus the wall.

I had a power fluctuation at my old house and destroyed a fitbit.  It could be an anomaly as I did have an older house with minor electrical issues at the time. My brand new house has all the fancy energy star ratings and we have a smart grid in my Raleigh, NC suburb, but yeah still not charging a fitbit from the wall.  

Best Answer

@datalore wrote:

@shipo wrote:

I had a power fluctuation at my old house and destroyed a fitbit.  It could be an anomaly as I did have an older house with minor electrical issues at the time. My brand new house has all the fancy energy star ratings and we have a smart grid in my Raleigh, NC suburb, but yeah still not charging a fitbit from the wall.  

Interesting, I've never thought of it that way. I've always just plugged mine into the wall, thankfully no issues thus far. I guess it comes down to where you live though. Would the same not apply to other electrical items such as phones? I should really invest in a surge protector. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@N8teGee wrote:

Interesting, I've never thought of it that way. I've always just plugged mine into the wall, thankfully no issues thus far. I guess it comes down to where you live though. Would the same not apply to other electrical items such as phones? I should really invest in a surge protector. 

Yes, my brother had a phone literally blow up one day when a tree in the neighborhood fell and took a line with it.  Fortunately the phone didn't shatter, it just expanded to three times its normal thickness and cracked the heck out of the screen.

Best Answer

@shipo wrote:

I cannot speak to what it takes to imbue a device the size of the Ionic with wireless charging capabilities; for all I know the technology is either too large or too expensive to put into a package of this size and at this price point.

Apple Watch since the beginning. Samsung too?

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer