Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No sleep stages since I got the Ionic

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Had the charge 2. Sleep stages worked without fail since I got it last year. Bought ionic this week. I wear it slightly tighter than my charge 2. No sleep stages. I see a lot of post for this issue. 

Best Answer
33 REPLIES 33

Hi @Robrawks and welcome to the Community!

You said that you have the Charge 2 and were able to get Sleep Stages without any issues, but that you wear your Ionic band slightly tighter than your Charge 2.  That may be the issue.  Sleep stages won't appear if the sensors at the back of the watch can't get a consistent heart rate reading.  Try loosening it tonight and see what happens.

Is it possible that you are using the "Start Sleep Now" function in the app?  This is another case which will not give you Sleep Stages.

You could try restarting your Ionic, in case the issue is due to something in the watch.  Hold down the left and bottom right buttons on your watch for about 10 seconds.  The Fitbit logo will appear, signaling the successful restart.

It may also be worth checking the battery on your Ionic.  Critically low batteries will not get you Sleep Stages, hence why I am charging my Alta HR as I type this.  On the Ionic, just swipe left and you will see your Settings.  On the same screen, in the upper right hand corner, you will see how much battery you have.  If it is low, you may want to charge it.

If all else fails, you can do what I do and just wear your Charge 2 for sleeping.  I use my Alta HR for this reason as well (plus I find it more comfortable to sleep with something sleek on at night rather than a big watch).  Just make sure that you sync both trackers to your account when you switch between the two.

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I loosen the band very slightly, its snug. I did the reset of the Ionic as well. We'll see tonight. 

Best Answer

Did you ever find a solution to this? I am having the same issues with the Ionic. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am also having the same issue with sleep stage tracking. I recently updated from the Fitbit Charge 2 which had no issues with tracking sleep. I could sleep on my back, on my side, on my front, upside down, inside out with the band at pretty much any tension and there were no issues with tracking sleep stages.

Now that I have updated to the Ionic it has provided sleep staging for 2 out of 21 nights sleep.

I have tried different band tensions, different positions on my arm and there is no real difference.

For the two nights that I have tracked sleep I didnt change the bands position or tension from the night before. Additionally when I check the HR measurements it shows that my HR was measured all night with no gaps.

Perhaps it is time for a Fitbit firmware update to help the issue out, or are you holding off until the release of the new Adidas version before you release an updated Firmware?

Please Fitbit provide some useful assistance before I start to recommend Garmin to my friends.

Best Answer

I'm relieved to know that I'm not the only person experiencing this issue. I've searched this forum and the internet on this and found a lot of people having the same issue, but rarely are the posts followed up on after being provided some potential solutions by the moderators. I've tried all troubleshooting suggestions on this forum and I'm still having issues with this. I just wonder if any of the users of the product found something that worked reliably from them.

I wouldn't care so much about the feature not reliably working if the Ionic was priced in the upper tier of smartwatch/fitness trackers. For what I paid I expect the basic features to work near flawlessly or if not I would like the company to at least acknowledge the problem and let us know that they are working on a solution.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Im bumping this thread as we still havent received any feedback from Fitbit...

Best Answer

I have the same issue also, heart beat record during the night seems fine, spent most of yesterdaya reading articles on how to wear it and how it works, last night wore it further up wrist (2-3 fingers, mind you mine are chubby so went with 2!) still no stages even slept with my wrist in a differrent possiton than normal to see.

I often record from around 11ish to 2am then a 2hr gap then it starts again around 4am till 7am which is wierd. I am going to do a reset and then wear it on the other wrist tonight to see what happens.

I know it does work as a collegues husband has one and it works fine for him. will do some more digging today and over the weekend

Best Answer
0 Votes

The same for me. I had a charge 2 that workded very well.

I think that the Ionic needs a deeper update !

Best Answer
0 Votes

Like a few others, I “upgraded” to the ionic from the charge hr.  Charge always tracked my sleep without issue, the ionic  has missed 3 out of 17 days...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I loosened the band slightly and I reset it.

It didn't work, so I opened a ticket, which is difficult. The amount of hoops you have to jump through. 

After I opened a ticket, it started working. It was very strange and there was no rhyme or reason for it to start working. My wife has the same device, and hers worked without issue since getting it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I got my Ionic on 11/29 and wore it to bed. I didn't get any sleep stages until 12/3.

I didn't do anything different during those nights. Same tightness and same position. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I got an Ionic for xmas after the back button on my beloved  Blaze broke... (I was tired of taking it off and sticking a ballpoint pen in where the irreplaceable button used to be and hey - they took $50 off the price).  After a rocky start when sleep stages was first rolled out, the Blaze was  reliable with sleep stages.  In the 17 days that I've been wearing the Ionic, I've received sleep stages for only 7 nights -  the other 10 with  the message is that it wasn't tracking my heart rate, but like others here,  my heart rate for the entire night is recorded.   Time to fix it Fitbit or I ditch you for an Apple.  

Best Answer

I'll try to open a ticket

😞

Best Answer

I changed my sleep setting to normal.... it seems to be responding.... have you done that? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

yup mine is.

I tried various things over weekend and my right wrist seems better at recording the correct hours both neither wrists show the stages

Best Answer
0 Votes

so had my Ionic on other wrist last night and apparently I only got 4hrs 30mins sleep so I am throwing in the towel ! very disappointed with it, suffering with sleep apnea I was keen on finding a device that would show me the various stages of sleep but it seems the money could have been better spent on a cheaper device ! back to Garmin I feel

Best Answer
0 Votes

Looks like every one of us that upgraded to the Iconic is having the sleep tracking issue. The charge 2 worked great for consistently showing the sleep analysis. 

As for the Iconic, I have tried loosening it up and also tightening it up a bit (keeping close eye on the # of notches I used each time) and it's still inconsistent when it comes to the proper sleep analysis. Like others have said above, looks like it does 2 out of 20+ nights where it'll capture the sleep cycle breakdown. Certainly feels like a device issue, just hoping it's something that can be fixed with a firmware and not due to the way actual sensors are placed on the watch. 

For what it's worth though, yes it is a huge disappointment when you get a $300 device that can't seem to function as good as the one that cost less than half as much. Hopefully @Fitbit is working on fixing this asap. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’ve had my Ionic for about 3 weeks. All but 1 night the sleep tracker has worked fine. The one night it didn’t, it still tracked the hours, just not the specifics of the sleep.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner You are very fortunate. I've had mines since mid-December and it only works properly 2 or 3 nights out of the week. I'm not doing anything differently from night to night, so why it's unreliable I don't know. But I do know that from reading these forums this is a common issue with the Ionic. 

Best Answer
0 Votes