Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor battery life started last weekend

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I purchased the Ionic on black friday and it has been working good for the most since then. Last weekend I noticed that the  battery life is losing about 40% or a little more per day, prior to that it was 15% per day and I could normally get 5 days compared to 2 days now.

I have not changed anything on my end, FW version 27.31.1.29 and I don't believe that has changed for awhile.  The only thing that I can see that changed is the fitbit app on my android phone and tablet. For some reason the fitbit app updated twice in a short time prior to that and I didn't pay much attention to it until the battery life tanked. After the app updates I noticed that some settings were changed like Always connected was maybe added and turned on, Keep-Alive widget was added and turned on, I have switched those to off and not sure if it made much of a difference. I have rebooted and want to know if I should do a factory reset at this point? I have never done this to my watch.

Thanks 

Best Answer
27 REPLIES 27

I should also add that I had been using  a non fitbit clock face prior to the problem, didn't think that was the problem but switched to a fitbit clock face to test with no change.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Scott.G - You're not alone here. Thankfully I saw your post, I was already getting quite annoyed. In short:

I'm facing the same problem. I love my Ionic (purchased 9th of November) and the battery life was one of the major factors that made me purchase this particular watch - but 3 days ago it started to require daily charging and loses 10% battery in an hour of sitting at my office desk, NOT engaged in any workout (though the heartrate spikes occasionally ;)).  

It is extremely frustrating. I assume it is somewhat related to the pending rollout of Fitbit OS 2.0 and the update of the Fitbit App - since it would be too much of a coincidence that those happen in the same week. However, I'd appreciate a statement and improvement - otherwise I'll unfortunately drop the product eventually. 

The watch shows: Version 27.31.1.29 and I have played around with the same settings as the OP. I've also rebooted my watch and phone - and did not notice any change. 

EDIT: App/Sync is via an iPhone 7, iOS 11.2.6. 

Please help us.

Thanks!

Best Answer

Am now on 27.32.4.19, did a factory reset too so we will see.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I updated to Version 27.32.4.19 last night and took the watch off the charger this morning around 8:45 (100%). As of 7:45pm it has reached 54% battery. As before: No workouts so far, no Wifi, medium brightness, no music - regular daily use.

So unfortunately still no way near it's original battery life 😞 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m having the exact same problem, started with an update in the first week of March, ionic bought in November having a four to five day battery life now has a 30 hour battery life with everything switched off

anyone having any luck with this?

Best Answer

So far none.

After an 80min swim and some idle time it has now reached 37% battery capacity (after 14 hours). So I guess I got two options now unless I want to take the charger with me tomorrow:

a) track my sleep

b) wear my Ionic tomorrow

[..or c) buy a second Ionic...]

Let's see if a moderator picks this up soonish, otherwise I'll get tempted to reference (@...) every user I can find that has the Fitbit logo after his name just to know that at least someone is looking into this issue.

Best Answer

At this point after doing a hard factory reset and the new FW update with no change I highly suspect it is hardware related and will be contacting customer service.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Chatted with CS for about 15 minutes and they are sending a new one. Let's hope for the best.

Best Answer

Emailed customer service last night at 22.00, they replied today at 15.00, I replied at 18.10, New Fitbit on the way by 18.20

A+ for customer service 

Best Answer

Check to see if your screen is staying on.  That's what's happening to me recently (27.31.1.29).  It can kill the battery in a day or less.  About to start a new thread on it.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I had noticed my screen was coming on a lot when it wasn’t wanted, kinda like it was set to auto when it was set to manual

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I also noticed the screen was coming on a lot more so I set it to manual 1 day and didn't see much of an improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My screen wasn't on more frequently than before. Also I experimented with manual screen activation and did not notice a change. 

Update from my side: Contacted Fitbit on Facebook (since they offer this I thought it might be faster - it isn't). First advice was to charge my device correctly, to follow the charging instructions and to follow their tips for battery drain. (Wednesday)

When I replied that my behavior/way of charging hadn't changed at all, they created a case with the technical support and told me that they would reach out to me (Thursday morning). 

Haven't heard anything since then. 

However, the following Friday morning the Fitbit displayed a whole new feature: it simply turns the power off and does not turn on at all anymore. No matter if on the charger, if buttons are pressed - just a black screen. On the plus side: this conceals the battery issues pretty darn well. On the neg side: The only thing I'm tracking now is growing impatience and annoyance. Calling them now.

Stoked.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Customer support was nice and went on a tour of remote debugging with me.

Asked me whether I switched USB-Ports, cleaned the contacts, tried rebooting etc. (nothing I hadn't tried before) - long story short: they declared my device defect and asked me to send it their location in the Netherlands. Once the package arrives they'd offer me either a 50% discount on a new purchase in the online store or a replacement. 

Unfortunately I cannot opt for the replacement right away so I guess I'm not wearing a watch for about a week...

I just hope this resolves quickly...

Best Answer

I simply emailed them through here explaining the issue, i.e how quickly the battery drains (72% in 23hrs) and that it wasn’t acceptable for a 3 month old item

next afternoon had response offering replacement once purchase was validated, this was done quick then had link to either replace or have 50% discount on new item

Best Answer
0 Votes

Oops forgot the link for where I emailed through

https://help.fitbit.com/?l=en_US&cu=1&fs=ContactUs

Best Answer
0 Votes

I called them and emailed them ... did not receive the promised address yet. My Ionic is sitting on my desk, awaiting shipment and I cannot check the time (or my active minutes) Smiley Sad ...

If nothing changes by Monday I'll call them again. Slowly but surely growing impatient..

Best Answer
0 Votes

Finally got my replacement. It's doing updates now - super psyched 🙂 

The whole process took precisely 2 weeks, Fitbit support was nice and helpful - pleasant experience.  

... Just hoping this one doesn't have the same issue. 

Best Answer

I've had mine for 1 1/2 weeks and I got just about 6 days out of the first charge. Second charge is looking good also. Fitbit support was very easy to work with.

Best Answer