Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic syncing intermittently

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I love the design and feel of this new ionic watch but have issues with it and they cant seem to resolve. It seems the product was rushed out into the market. My blaze didn't exhibit these issues on a daily basis

1. Constantly looking for device - Not syncing properly

2. Sleep reading isn't accurate. How can you have a total of one and half hours of sleep when you sleep from 10:27pm till 6:30am the next day

Oh I love the weather app but would be really ideal and neat if it could be added to the watch face look

Anyone experiencing these issues?

Moderator edit: Clarified subject 

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hello everyone, thanks for your participation in the Community.

Thank you for the details mentioned. I understand that this can be very frustrating, your feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. If you're experiencing difficulties with syncing your watch, please follow our complete troubleshooting instructions at Why won't my Fitbit device sync?

If the issue persists, please contact our Support team or create a new thread. As of now, this thread will be closed, in an effort to keep the forums organized. 

See you around. 

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
79 REPLIES 79

I also have experienced terrible heart rate readings once you begin your run. Going from 62-175 while 

jogging at a very slow warm up pace. Same as the Surge . Had to return 2 Ionics due to the HR issues,

Sad

Best Answer

No issues here - have you guys run the new firmware update?

Plug into its charging cable and it will activate wi-fi and check for you automatically.

If no update shows up, try powering down - swipe to settings, scroll to "About" then to "Shutdown"

Press the home button to power back up.

Community Council Member

WmChapman | TX

Ionic, Versa, Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, 3 SE, AltaHR, Flex2, Ace, Aria, iPhoneXR "Every fitbit counts"

Be sure to visit Fitbit help if more help is needed.

Best Answer

Same here. No issues at all. I am still getting used to it but I love it. Heart rate seems to be quite accurate and the rest of the functions seem fine. Battery is a charm.

Best Answer

So if I were to go by the ionic again, check for updates, shut it down & reboot your saying it will read heart rate accurate?
By the way I own a Garmin 735 XT, Apple Watch, Garmin Forerunner 25 & a Samsung gear S2.
I am a 30 year in great shape runner/triathlete & never hit above 151 HB. That is when I am running a 6 minute mile. Receiving a 175 in a warm up is absurd. Fitbit has had this issue for the last 2 years.

So if I were to go by the ionic again, check for updates, shut it down & reboot your saying it will read heart rate accurate? 

By the way I own a Garmin 735 XT, Apple Watch, Garmin Forerunner 25 & a Samsung gear S2. 
I am a 30 year in great shape runner/triathlete & never hit above 151 HB. That is when I am running a 6 minute mile. Receiving a 175 in a warm up is absurd. Fitbit has had this issue for the last 2 years.

Moderator edit: merged reply
Best Answer

I have also noticed the heart readings isnt accurate as well. All of a sudden after replacing my blaze with this ionic, my resting bpm is higher.. what has changed?

Best Answer

@MiamiKids1 wrote:

I also have experienced terrible heart rate readings once you begin your run. Going from 62-175 while 

jogging at a very slow warm up pace. Same as the Surge . Had to return 2 Ionics due to the HR issues,

Sad

Did the third Ionic work, or did you get a refund?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is your heart rate significantly higher? My resting average is normally between 58-64 on the charge 2 and this has stayed the same in the 24 hours I've been using the Ionic and I compared my charge 2 to a chest monitor and blood pressure monitor and was surprised how accurate the results were in comparison.

The heart rate sensors have been supposedly improved so it might just be that your new resting heart rate is more accurate now than it was before, or you've behaved differently in this period? keep an eye on it but i've noticed little to no difference from the charge 2

Best Answer
0 Votes

I may purchase the Ionic for my 3rd time today.  I am glad people r posting and hopefully getting all over FItBit

A nice watch other wise

Best Answer
Resting heart rate is not the issue. It is when u start moving even at a slow pace. Go for a light jog and u will c it climb way to high

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Wayyyy too high on my first run. Gutted. I reset my Ionic and, unpaired it from my phone and started all over again. It seems much better now. Very odd. 4th run with it later today.

Best Answer
Yes I saw that cos I jogged this weekend and truly it was very high

Sent from Abed
Best Answer
0 Votes

Maybe your ionic is more accurate than your blaze? Who knows.... 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Cos it jives with my doctor's report about my health examination

Sent from Abed
Best Answer
0 Votes

yes - syncing is hopeless right now.

Also - the Strava app on Ionic does not sync properly even when the Ionic does sync to Fitbit app.

(mind you the functionality of the Strava on Ionic is so weak I'm surprised Strava would be willing to put their brand on it).

MapMyRun would be a much better choice for a partner, given how much popular it is and rock solid tech on their own platform.

Best Answer
0 Votes

agree - my 10km run was logged as averaging 178 BPM - nowhere near what my Garmin tells me, esp. as my RHR is 46

Best Answer
0 Votes

probably due to your frustration with the Ionic!!

Best Answer

Agreed on the sensation that Ionic has been rushed to market.  In its current state it is a buggy but otherwise excellent fitness tracker with a light sprinkling of semi-smart features... but this isn't even a smartphone yet.

1. After several hours, syncing worked itself out for me.  Unlike Pebble however, my notifications do not come through on the Ionic unless the phone is NOT in Do Not Disturb mode.  In my case this means I have to have a vibrating or chiming smartphone in my pocket or on my desk to receive notifications.

2.  I've found sleep readings to be pretty good.  4 nights so far, and no errors.

I have found that the heart rate suddenly spikes to ~175 for a little while, making me wonder if I'm having some kind of cardiac episode, and then eventually comes back to reality.

Best Answer

Yes! It is doing some funny stuff with my sleep.. and my steps are way less than normal... 

Best Answer

@Bejammin wrote:

Agreed on the sensation that Ionic has been rushed to market.  In its current state it is a buggy but otherwise excellent fitness tracker with a light sprinkling of semi-smart features... but this isn't even a smartphone yet.

1. After several hours, syncing worked itself out for me.  Unlike Pebble however, my notifications do not come through on the Ionic unless the phone is NOT in Do Not Disturb mode.  In my case this means I have to have a vibrating or chiming smartphone in my pocket or on my desk to receive notifications.

2.  I've found sleep readings to be pretty good.  4 nights so far, and no errors.

I have found that the heart rate suddenly spikes to ~175 for a little while, making me wonder if I'm having some kind of cardiac episode, and then eventually comes back to reality.

This is my issue with the device. It's barely more of a smartwatch than the Blaze was. I've been messing with this thing for a while now just trying to get music files on it. There's no way it should be this difficult with so many hoops to jump through. You have to be using a certain operating system, you have to have a computer on WiFi and it has to be a playlist from a certain program.

Worse yet I have to strip the security off my Wifi to even allow the device on that. When I re-enable the security the Ionic can no longer connect to it. Every other device in my house can though.

I've had an Apple Watch in the past and if this is their answer to that then they should be concerned. The user experience of the Apple Watch is light years better than this. Part of the problem is the Apples and Samsungs of the world can integrate their smartwatches into the phone's OS while Fitbit can't.

The Ionic just doesn't feel like a real smartwatch it feels like a fitness tracker with partial smartwatch style features which again is what the Blaze was. I'm pretty close to packing this thing back up, returning it to Best Buy and just going back to my Blaze.

If you want a Blaze with a built in GPS this is the device for that. If you want a real smartwatch I'm not so sure this cuts it. We're still facing the problem that you can't have it all. You have to pick what you value more a smartwatch or a fitness tracker and get a device that's more focused on one or the other at the expense of the other.

Best Answer