Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ran 3.1 on a treadmill, Ionic recorded it as 2.46

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I’ve been running with my ionic since I got it (2 to 3 months) and haven’t had this problem. But I ran a 5k today but the Ionic only recorded it as 2.46 (usually, if anything, it records that I ran a little longer than I actually did but minimal difference). This is less and significantly less. I did a ruck on Monday. Tracked it using the “Hike” exercise option. Obviously a much slower pace than a run and used GPS (which the treadmill tracker does not). Could this be what through off the tracker? Believing I have a much slower gate running based upon a weighted ruck/hike? How can I get it back to the normal pace?

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

When you do an activity without GPS, fitbit uses your stride length for distance. If you set your treadmill for 3mph, your treadmill doesn't care how many steps you take, it just knows you are going 3mph. The fitbit measures steps and multiplies it by your stride length. I think there is an algorithm to have a longer stride if fitbit senses you are running, not walking. So if you walk at 3mph or jog at 3mph, your jogging will produce more steps due to faster pace and shows longer distance than treadmill.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Right. But why is it now not reading I’m running 3.1 when before it would read at least 3.1, usually something like 3.35? I’ve been using it to run for a couple of months but now it’s .70 under. What changed?

Susan M Zeamer, Life Coach
And General Counselor
Best Answer
0 Votes