Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recorded calorie bur during exercise

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Yesterday I recorded in the exercise app on my Ionic and hour on the stair climber and 20mins on an elliptical machine. Both recorded at least 30% less calories burned that that on the machines and my Apple Watch. Why is that?

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Don't bother with cardio machines as they have no any important details to estimate your burnt calories with accuracy. If you compare other watches then also you will see differences as they compute estimated calories using different algorithms. Remember, it's just an estimate. However, observe your HR and analyse your HR graph. HR plays major role in computation and if it falls lower than it should, the calories probably will too. I can't speak for other watches but I compare with a chest strap which never fail in reading HR and uses ECG in real time. Then, what I see is that my Ionic reads my HR with bad accuracy and very often it is way too low. Hence, the calories probably are also underestimated. If I see big difference betweer Polar app that uses chest strap and what Ionic estimated I log exercise manually taking average of both estimated burnt calories values. Anyway, because of HR Ionic always underestimates calories in my case.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Many thanks for the information. Do you know if there is a heart rate monitor that is compatible with the ionic? I can’t seem to find one.
Best Answer
0 Votes

There is no such thing. Fitbit is very hermetic hardware ecosystem. I use other devices and software. That is why I need to log manually to correct data for my workouts. I use Ionic as daily HR monitor which includes simple activities like walking as it seems to be doing ok. For workouts and ie. cycling I use PolarH10 and PolarBeat app. Then I compare and log. Usually, the difference is 100-300 calories between Polar and Ionic. Observing my weight I find Polar estimation lot closer to the truth. This is mostly due to HR but still I average value to be on safe side. Logging like that is a bit of chore but I don't think Fitbit app will ever work with third-party sensors. To be honest, I am quite happy with H10 for workouts and this drives me more towards Polar devices and I'm looking forward to upcoming VantageV model but this time I won't let hype cloud my judgment and I'd rather wait and see before putting money on the table.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks again, very informative.
Best Answer
0 Votes