Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Step length?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello,

Something not fine with my Ionic or I have wrong idea what is one step.

My understanding is one stride length equals two steps. Stride length in my Ionic is 76cm.

I have done today about 7km and the device say about 8200 steps. The math just don't add up. 7km=7000m/0.76 = 9200 stride lengths multiplied by two = 18400 steps.

What is going on here people?

Best Answer
2 REPLIES 2

One stride is one step, at least in Fitbit terms.  Fitbit sets a default for you, based on your height, etc, but you can change that if you don't think it fits you.

See a couple of the sub-topics in How does my Fitbit device calculate my daily activity? 

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer

Hi Johny,

well fitbit terms are wrong then. One stride is two steps.

What is stride length?

Stride length is the distance covered when you take two steps, one with each foot. Start with your two feet together and start walking. You can start with either foot, but let’s say you start with your left:

Lift your left foot up and step forward.
Now both feet are on the ground with the left foot ahead of the right one.
Lift your right foot and swing it forward past your left foot, and place it on the ground.
Now both feet are on the ground with the right foot ahead of the left one.

The distance traveled during that motion is your stride length. In other words, your stride length is the distance from the toe of your right foot (starting position) to the toe of your right foot (ending position), or the heel of your right foot (starting position) to the heel of your right foot (ending position).
What is step length?

A step length is the distance covered when you take one step. Start with your two feet together and start walking. You can start with either foot, but let’s say you start with your left:

Lift your left foot up and step forward.
Now both feet are on the ground with your left foot ahead of your right one.

The distance your left foot traveled (from the toe of your right foot to the toe of your left foot, or from the heel of your right foot to the heel of your left foot) is your step length. There might be a difference between your left step length and your right step length.

https://www.healthline.com/health/stride-length#step-length

Best Answer