Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support music transfer from Apple and Windows-Ionic

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I am a chrome user and have to drag the pc back into life when I need to add music to my ionic this is ridiculous Chromebook users are increasing daily and I would like to see this application being included along with Apple and Windows, to support music transfer. Please help Fitbit I love my ionic.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
15 REPLIES 15

While I understand your frustrations @Ladycaz, Fitbit will not be able to add Chromebook until the Chrome OS gets the ability to talk to a device connected to a Bluetooth device.

This would really be great, since Chrome is a web based OS and if this gets added, we then will be able to use a web browser to interface with the Fitbit tracker.

To sum up, this will not happen until the developers of Chrome address and correct the bluetooth limitations found in the web browser. 

Best Answer
Whilst I understand what you are saying about Bluetooth devices. Apple has
massive restrictions on Bluetooth capabilities, for example I cannot
Bluetooth something to my husband's iPad from my android or chrome
device. So on the other hand, I didn't understand this? But thank you for
taking the time to reply!
Best Answer
0 Votes

You can't connect anything to apple because they want you to have to buy all apple devices. I have a macbook pro, let me tell you, it's easier to have a child than to send music to my ionic; the only reason It's so hard to send anything is because they make it that way. Chrome has to change the bluetooth capabilities, it's not fitibit; just like you cant use bluetooth version 4.1 or lower headphones to connect to it without distortion. You have to find what works, hopefully they will get it together, maybe if we all write google they will dislodge their head.

@Ladycaz wrote:
Whilst I understand what you are saying about Bluetooth devices. Apple has
massive restrictions on Bluetooth capabilities, for example I cannot
Bluetooth something to my husband's iPad from my android or chrome
device. So on the other hand, I didn't understand this? But thank you for
taking the time to reply!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Ladycaz I don't understand your post, you mention iPad having trouble talking to an Android phone. To transfer files between the two put an FTP server on the Android phone. Then use your browser on the iPad and log into the ftp server. iPad will not realize your talking to a phone rather than the internet.

This a thread is about the ionic communicating with a Chromebook that does not run iOS but a web browser based operating system. This might be why there is a misunderstanding. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Actually, ChromeOS is a Linux-based operating system which utilizes the Chrome browser as the main user interface.

Also, in contrast to a previous comment you made @Rich_Laue, ChromeOS does support communication with Bluetooth devices (I've used Bluetooth ear buds). True, it is not as capable as most smartphones or competing operating systems (WIndows, MacOS). But ChromeOS does have a Bluetooth stack (which runs outside the Chrome browser) with an enhanced Bluetooth stack in development.

Through recent updates, ChromeOS is capable of running Android apps (outside of the Chrome broswer) as well as Linux apps (again, outside the Chrome browser). Both of these options are limited to specific hardware platforms; but most recent Chromebooks support both options.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for your reply! I am a chrome/android user and always will ve! But my stupid windows pc has locked me out so I am now unable to transfer music from my ionic from that method! I need to use my chrome book, which is so much more capable and all I need to do is get it to talk to my watch and then I could transfer music from threat to the watch! Any ideas how I sort it out! Please 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Unfortunately @Ladycaz there is no method of workaround to get any Fitbit device to directly communicate with a ChromeOS-based device.

This will likely rely on Fitbit creating the necessary software to run on ChromeOS. This will be necessary since "smartwatch" connectivity is not a consistent, device-profile driven access process like connecting to a Bluetooth audio device or a Bluetooth input device (i.e. mouse or keyboard).

Best Answer
0 Votes

It would require Fitbit to rewrite part of the Chrome OS. Currently Chlorine as a Web Based OS doed not hsbehthr ability for an app to communicate to any Bluetooth device. The problem is with Chrome and the Web browser, it is also why there is no web page that will let your tracker sync.

Yes I know @sfringer a Bluetooth speaker can connect to the Chrome OS but this is not an app connecting to the speaker but the operating system. The app send the sound to the operating system which simply passed out on to the current sound device. The app itself can not interact with a connected Bluetooth device.

Now if the tracker could communicate through the USB charging cable, then it would be possible

Best Answer
0 Votes

Actually @Rich_Laue it would not require Fitbit to rewrite part of ChromeOS. Interacting with Bluetooth devices from the Chrome web browser is something that is possible:

Interact with Bluetooth devices on the Web

Also as tracked by the MDN:

Web Bluetooth API

Best Answer
0 Votes

Maybe it would work but your page requires Java script, and people have been complaining for years about the many pages on Fitbit that still uses Java script. Now that almost every page with Java script you want it back? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue, I think you're confused here. People are not complaining about the Fitbit pages that use Javascript, they are complaining about the pages that still make use of Adobe Flash - two completely different languages. I don't foresee Javascript being removed from active web pages any time soon.

In fact, Javascript is the core of app development for Fitbit OS devices (the Ionic and Vera):

Fitbit SDK

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Ladycaz I hope you're doing well! Sorry for the delayed response. Thanks for taking the time to share the situation you are experiencing with the Chromebook and music transfer.

The OS that ChromeBook uses is "Google Chrome OS" and it's not supported by Fitbit , the OS that are supported by Fitbit are these ones:

OS.PNG

These are the PC & Mac requirements:

requierements.PNG

Currently, the only way to download music to your Ionic is by using Windows 10 PC and the Fitbit app or Mac/Windows 7/8 and Fitbit Connect app. You can learn more about it by checking this article How do I listen to music and podcasts on my Fitbit watch?.

Additionally, I found this idea Music download support for Chromebooks in our Feature Suggestion board. You may want to vote for it as those are viewed by our engineers and developers. Also, vote for the following ideas:

@sfringer @Rich_Laue @IrishPhenix I hope you're doing well! Thanks for sharing your help and experience on this thread. Your contributions to the Community are the best. Thanks!

Keep me posted! Smiley Very Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think we should all request Fitbit to update their apps to the app lets you transfer music from your phone on to the Fitbit that would be better cuz you can already control your Spotify from your Fitbit while you're listening to it from your phone so

Best Answer

To add to this what makes me laugh 🤣.well actually furious is that GOOGLE owns Chrome, they also own Fitbit too am I missing something here. They make this stuff but can't make the devises compatible with each other. It's absolutely ridiculous and I am tired of all this not me attitude. Please get this issue Sorted and make Chrome and Fitbit compatible with music transfer. Mind you I have a sense now and that doesn't have the capability of having music on it, although there's a space within the memory for added stuff! 🙄😱😡

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everybody, thank you for visiting the Fitbit Community.

Currently, there is a voluntary Safety Recall of Fitbit Ionic Smartwatches.

For more information, please visit this thread.

I am going to close this thread to keep the Community organized.

Have a nice day.

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Hai ricevuto la risposta che stavi cercando? Accetta il post come soluzione!

¿Has recibido la respuesta que estabas buscando? ¡Acepta el post como solución!

Best Answer
0 Votes